Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best ICE solution?  (Read 1886 times)

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
What's the best ICE solution?
« on: 08 October 2007, 17:07:36 »

Hi all,

I have a facelift 01(Y) Elite, probably with Bose (checking for sure later).

I also have a recently bought CD / MP3 / USB stereo fitted to my previous car. I find it very useful to carry around a small USB stick rather than keep lots of CDs in a wallet. A 4-disc changer is a bit crap in this day and age.

So, what is the nicest, cleanest option I have for installing this stereo into the Omega. I don't really want a horrible blanking plate replacing the nice standard buttons if I can help it. Can these buttons be wired up behind to operate the new stereo?

Isn't there a problem with using non-standard stereos with the Bose amp? Lots of fiddly wiring?

Are there any USB stereos out there that suit the Omega and can work with steering wheel controls and maybe the standard buttons?

Need a numpty guide to what problems I'll encounter, please. :)

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best ICE solution?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2007, 17:37:20 »

You can get adaptors to allow the steering controls to work with some modern head units. They're not cheap though.

Advice seems to be to get a single DIN fascia adaptor and not to try fitting a double DIN head unit.

If it's got bose it could be more tricky, since the bose amplifier is not fed from standard line outputs nor will it take speaker outputs. As I understand it, the head units on Bose equipped cars are configured differently to give a low level output from the speaker terminals and this drives the bose amplifier. It's probably better to either keep the entire bose setup or to sell it all and replace with something else.

The standard speakers are reckoned to be quite good, and the addition of a sub in the boot is all that's required to give an excellent sound. Maybe with Bose even this is not necessary. I find my standard speakers have taken to sounding really distorted these days. They haven't been abused, although I do use an amp to drive them. I'm going to need to replace them before they drive me insane.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2007, 16:33:38 »

the other option is to fit an ipod interface if you have an ipod. I've fitted the harman kardon "drive and play" unit to two facelift omegas now. Unfortunately you have to use the aerial connection as there isn't an easy way to connect to the head unit. As a result, there is a bit of hiss in quiet passages - but depending on what type of music you listen to, that may or may not be an issue.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2007, 17:47:24 »

the other option is to fit an ipod interface if you have an ipod. I've fitted the harman kardon "drive and play" unit to two facelift omegas now. Unfortunately you have to use the aerial connection as there isn't an easy way to connect to the head unit. As a result, there is a bit of hiss in quiet passages - but depending on what type of music you listen to, that may or may not be an issue.

Could the hiss be solved by fitting one of those ballast block things to the alt?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2007, 09:57:37 »

I don't have an iPod.

Is it possible to put a 12 disc changer in the boot and wire it up to bypass the standard one, but keep all the functionality?

I wonder if they make changers with a USB slot, or a USB changer... must Google that later...

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2007, 22:10:48 »

Could the hiss be solved by fitting one of those ballast block things to the alt?

I wouldn't have said the alternator was the issue.

With the HK kit you tune the radio to a frequence and then tune the HK kit to the same, the HK kit is plumbed into the srereo via the areial lead, i think the hiss comes from the frequency more than anything else.

I have the HK kit in my Omega, great piece of kit that is worth the money i spent on it

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2007, 01:34:59 »

I wouldn't have said the alternator was the issue.

With the HK kit you tune the radio to a frequence and then tune the HK kit to the same, the HK kit is plumbed into the srereo via the areial lead, i think the hiss comes from the frequency more than anything else.

I have the HK kit in my Omega, great piece of kit that is worth the money i spent on it

Hmm. I'm not electronically minded, I just have a ballast block lying around (can't remember what its proper name is, it's in my garage and I'm not... :p) - was told if you fit it onto the alt, it stops the radio hissing. Was a couple of years ago that I got it, though, so I'm not 100%.

Regards
Pete
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2007, 13:04:56 »

Just a thought, and you may have already dismissed it but have you considered one of these?

I have seen one and it really does work but I couldn't vouch for the quality. I guess that it would be FM radio quality. That would be good enough for me in the car and for the price may be worth a try?
[size=24]        [/size][/b]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.