Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: aeriel  (Read 2018 times)

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
aeriel
« on: 04 October 2008, 19:27:54 »

please help!!!!! i've just bought an omega 2.6 elite estate and part of the aeriel is missing. it's got a built in phone and sat nav. the sat nav works fine but not the radio. i've been to a v/x dealer this morning and the guy was a complete duck egg! he didn't know what part it was as there were so many different choices.
if someone knows the part no i'd be very great full. a photo of what it should look like would also be welcomed.
cheers

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Re: aeriel
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2008, 20:23:54 »

The bottom small mouse sized part of the aerial (the bit I assume that is still there) on the roof at the rear is your sat nav. The short stubby bit (about 8cm) which is a rubberised mast is for your phone.

Your radio aerial is in the rear window.

BTW: Update your profile with the year, engine size and trim level of your car; it will save you from repeating yoruself and people from having to ask you or guess. You can put your location down to which will allow more local people to offer help too.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2008, 20:25:25 by Albatross »

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2008, 20:33:48 »

thanks Albatross, would you know what's meant to be inside the rubberised mast as i have a 4/5 cm piece of metal stuck there which seems to swivel around. also, any advice on the radio reception as it's crap?

Bumbazor

• Worksop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2008, 21:10:37 »

My radio reception is ok but as said before the aerial is in the rear window. Consequently, incredibly harsh interference occurs when I put the heated rear window on, which plays havoc with even the strongest signals.

I'll soon be exploring the possibilities of an additional (replacement) aerial to get round this problem.

Maybe your poor reception problem is similar, or might be cured similarly. Just a thought.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else who has fixed the heated window/poor radio reception problem with an additional aerial. I could use a motorised aerial that is activated with the amp remote from my headunit... anyone done similar?
To do: Replace brake discs and pads; adjust already replaced shoes; check for leaks in oil cooler, cambelt area, crank seals, sump, dipstick; replace osf door; replace a tyre; clean, MOT.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2008, 21:25:25 »

Is it an Estate ? (thinking ahead), post some pics of what you have.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2008, 21:29:55 »

Your radio aerial is in the rear window.

Not on an estate, it's on the roof, different design base with a whip antenna that's hinged because the tailgate spoiler hits it when you open it!

Heater element antenna is on the saloon.

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2008, 21:53:46 »

it is an estate. i can post some photos tomorrow!

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2008, 10:36:56 »

right lads, i think i've managed a few photos!
[/http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr215/jonna01/DSCN1894.jpg[img][http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr215/jonna01/DSCN1893.jpg/img]img]

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2008, 10:41:31 »

(not trying to hyjack your thread) my saloon hasnt got an ariel on the rear window... how can i have one put on/attach one with it being a heated window?

thanks
V8!!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2008, 10:49:10 »

(not trying to hyjack your thread) my saloon hasnt got an ariel on the rear window... how can i have one put on/attach one with it being a heated window?

thanks

If you have a saloon your aerial IS in the rear screen, there's an amplifier somewhere near the rear parcel shelf for it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2008, 10:50:25 »

I think this is what you wanted to do jonna!  ;)  :y

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2008, 10:54:48 »

thanks

If you have a saloon your aerial IS in the rear screen, there's an amplifier somewhere near the rear parcel shelf for it.

ooo thanks andy :)
i'll have a nosey under the parcel shelf then!
V8!!!!

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2008, 18:29:30 »

thanks andy, so now that the picture is up, does anyone have a clue as to the part i need or the piece that is missing?
is this silver piece correct?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2008, 18:54:43 »

thanks andy, so now that the picture is up, does anyone have a clue as to the part i need or the piece that is missing?
is this silver piece correct?

Sorry what part is missing?

The picture above shows the ariel with GPS, that fat bit at the bottom is the GPS receiver.

Is it the top bit thats missing? Mother tunnies was damaged previously, its been repaired with a stiff metal pole in the base. Radio works fine.

The phone, it is built in and not an aftermarket jobbie? The Telematics unit should be in the glove box.

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2008, 19:55:42 »

tunnie, the sat nav is working fine but the radio isn't getting a good signal at all. i think it's just the top bit missing but not sure if the silver piece is the innards or weather it has just been stuck in! do you think that it's just the cover is missing?
can anyone show me a picture or tell me the part i need.
phone unit is in the glovebox!
cheers
« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 19:58:23 by jonna »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2008, 09:46:10 »

Top screw in bit is missing, been replaced with something too short by look of it.
Grumpy old man

DC

• Intermediate Member
  • Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2008, 21:10:55 »

I have a related question: my car is 97 estate with a spoiler and it keeps rubbing on the ariel when i open the tailgate. what can I replace the ariel with and what's exactly is that ariel for? I think there is abit of confusion over what model/what areal

shanjon

« Reply #17 on: 07 October 2008, 00:13:20 »

i also have an  estate and basically you need to get shot of that dumpy little aerial and use the standard aerial,
i say this because when i first brought mine i fitted a dumpy aluminium aerial and reception was c**p so it came straight off
i know the standard one does not look all that pretty but it is functional

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 October 2008, 15:56:34 »

i also have an  estate and basically you need to get shot of that dumpy little aerial and use the standard aerial,
i say this because when i first brought mine i fitted a dumpy aluminium aerial and reception was c**p so it came straight off
i know the standard one does not look all that pretty but it is functional

Not only is it functional its designed to do the job for FM reception. All aerials have a center frequency, the factory fit are a 1/4 wave length which is centered for 98 Mhz, and then wrapped arround a fibre rod to reduce its length, for MW and LW the aerial acts as a tip as the whole aerial and aerial lead is used for reception.

As for these so called alloy bee stings they may look cool to some, (not my cup of tea) but are really not working for fringe reception areas. Never measured one but looking at them I would guess thier center frequency would work out in the UHF band, probally work better for your TV than FM.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 15:58:56 by zirk »

jonna

• jarrow, tyne and wear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2008, 19:48:44 »

all, i think i've cracked it. the small swivel part is an addition. i think the previous owner has stuck it in instead of buying the correct part. i've now removed it but the aerial is buggered. i now need a complete unit that incorporates sat nav, phone and fm radio. local auto-electric shop has quoted £110 + fitting. anyone know of someone selling a unit?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.