Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Smart' water meters  (Read 941 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
'Smart' water meters
« on: 04 November 2023, 11:07:18 »

Had a letter this morning from Anglian Water, stating that they will be fitting them over the next few weeks. On the back of the letter is a list of FAQs. One is, "can i choose not to have one"? The answer is a big fat 'no', as they have a "legal obligation to manage and protect the water supply".
How long before it's going to be the same with electrickery meters where we will have no choice?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: 'Smart' water meters
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2023, 11:42:00 »

I chose to have one fitted about 10/12 years ago.

My water meter that I had fitted when I moved in could not be fitted outside so was fitted next to the sink cuboard unit.

The reason I went smart was simply to save have to move what ever I have stored in the cuboard - for me it was a "smart" idea

Also before I moved I opted for the water meter and knew that if worked out worse for me I could revert back to standard billing with in 12 months.

My bill then dropped from £48 PM to £22 PM, and after monitoring it I got that down to £12 PM  :y

My current bill is £22 where as my single neighbers rate is £60.50 :y :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2023, 12:46:13 »

Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2023, 15:14:51 »

Don't know about smart water meters, but smart energy meters are a massive con:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-12695103/Can-smart-meter-really-help-Britain-stop-relying-imported-gas-heat-homes.html

Plus they dont work properly, well at least mine dont :-\

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2023, 15:24:50 »

The idea of helping the UK save energy was allways a joke, The bill for the install is shared by all users.

Same idea as the wind farms and solor farms, all supposedly great ideas to start with.  We have 6 huge windmills close to us but the other day when I went for the cars MOT none of them were active, so what is the point of them :-X

People are investing in solor panels, good idea at 1st, ideal for own consumption but selling back to the grid is getting less of a return from sign up/install.  Bills have gone through the roof so selling back to the grid is mega profits for nothing to the energy companys.

Lets face it, the energy companys are only looking after themselves.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2023, 16:03:19 »

I've said it before anything described as " smart " is usually the exact opposite.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2023, 16:26:08 »

About a month after ours was fitted, Dad got a call from the water company asking if our usage had changed because the meter reckoned it was about ten times what it usually was. As the answer was no, they came and investigated. Which flagged two separate problems; the new meter was leaking(it's under a cover in the pavement) and they'd swapped ours and the neighbour's meters/supply :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2023, 18:44:08 »

It's all to easy to say that wind turbines are shit, in reality, they are most efficient at a given generator speed. If the designers have any sense, they'll have a constant speed blade hub with variable pitch blades which will adjust with windspeed to maintain an optimum hub (and therefore generator) speed.

Unfortunately, too much wind or strong gusts and the blades can't change pitch quickly enough to prevent the hub and generator from over speeding which is terminal for the generators and the blades (at speed the blade tips can go supersonic and structural creep along the blades from the massive increase in centrifugal forces will cause them to shred themselves... high speed shrapnel is not a good thing).

That's why you'll often see the blades turning in a gentle breeze, but the blades will be feathered to prevent them from turning when gusty/high winds are forecasted. This might seem counter intuitive but there you go.
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2023, 19:17:52 »

I chose to have one fitted about 10/12 years ago.

My water meter that I had fitted when I moved in could not be fitted outside so was fitted next to the sink cuboard unit.

The reason I went smart was simply to save have to move what ever I have stored in the cuboard - for me it was a "smart" idea

Also before I moved I opted for the water meter and knew that if worked out worse for me I could revert back to standard billing with in 12 months.

My bill then dropped from £48 PM to £22 PM, and after monitoring it I got that down to £12 PM  :y

My current bill is £22 where as my single neighbers rate is £60.50 :y :y
Bet it wasn't a 'smart' one though.  ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2023, 20:19:45 »

Bet it wasn't a 'smart' one though.  ;)

Dont know
Dont care

All I was told was it reports the reading back for billing.

Charge has varied from £20 to £24 PM and I am currently paying £22 rather than the unmetered rate od £60.50 PM and I dont get them knocking on the door for readings :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.