Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Comfort Level" pensions ?  (Read 5103 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: "Comfort Level" pensions ?
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2014, 10:49:26 »

Pension? I'll be lucky if they don't wheel me away from my desk and straight into the casket..

ditto.....

I expect my coffin to be made of cardboard. :'( :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2014, 11:02:54 »

As a younger worker pensions are already on my mind, if things go well this summer I'll be increasing my contributions to 20% per month.

They have an online calculator showing expected pension, based on what's going in. Scary stuff  :o

Stemo

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2014, 11:05:09 »

As a younger worker pensions are already on my mind, if things go well this summer I'll be increasing my contributions to 20% per month.

They have an online calculator showing expected pension, based on what's going in. Scary stuff  :o
It's hard to take into account all the eventualities that may occur over you working life. For instance, President Putin could cock your pension up big time. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2014, 11:06:58 »

It's hard to take into account all the eventualities that may occur over you working life. For instance, President Putin could cock your pension up big time. ;D

Indeed. But being as prepared as I can. This plus sharesave schemes about best I can do

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2014, 11:08:28 »

are you doing this via salary sacrifice? - if so remember your employer saves NI as a result and some will share that saving with you.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Stemo

« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2014, 11:09:16 »

Indeed. But being as prepared as I can. This plus sharesave schemes about best I can do
Give your monthly pension contribution to me. I will 'invest' it for you and, if I don't give you a brilliant return when you're 60, you can kill me. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2014, 11:10:37 »

are you doing this via salary sacrifice? - if so remember your employer saves NI as a result and some will share that saving with you.

Yes. 8% sacrifice, 8% from Sky :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2014, 11:11:31 »

Give your monthly pension contribution to me. I will 'invest' it for you and, if I don't give you a brilliant return when you're 60, you can kill me. :y

Can I ask for a return on investment next week?   :P

Stemo

« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2014, 11:13:35 »

Sorry. It's a long term investment.

Take it or leave...ungrateful brat. >:(

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2014, 11:13:52 »

So rent the house out, move back in with the parents, and invest the rental income equally into pharmaceuticals and military hardware companies... should cover most eventualities :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2014, 11:21:41 »

I expect my coffin to be made of cardboard. :'( :'(

That dosn't matter as you won't care at the time!  ;)

Somethings gone wrong here.....  :-\
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 12:55:14 by Marks DTM Calib »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2014, 11:23:08 »

Sorry. It's a long term investment.

Take it or leave...ungrateful brat. >:(

;D   ;D  ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2014, 11:27:44 »

I have a pensions gov forecast that seems to say that the SERPS abolition in a couple of years will not affect my pension benefits as have been in SERPS throughout. Hope this is correct as it would be extremely naughty if those near retirement like me were deprived of those benefits when new single tier pension comes in. Fortunately I do have 2 private pensions as well.

I will probably keep working in any case as job is interesting and I have a lot of flexibility which is necessary with elderly family issues.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2014, 12:37:08 »

I have a pensions gov forecast that seems to say that the SERPS abolition in a couple of years will not affect my pension benefits as have been in SERPS throughout. Hope this is correct as it would be extremely naughty if those near retirement like me were deprived of those benefits when new single tier pension comes in. Fortunately I do have 2 private pensions as well.

I will probably keep working in any case as job is interesting and I have a lot of flexibility which is necessary with elderly family issues.

When the new flat rate pension scheme starts in 2015/6, they will calculate what your entitlement is under the old scheme - it's called the foundation amount. Then when you retire, you will get whichever is greater - the foundation amount, or the new flat rate. The basic state pension is currently £110 ish per week. SERPS/S2P is paid in addition to this. People close to retirement with decent SERPS/S2P are likley to have quite large SERPS/S2P which can in some cases efectively double this amount to over £200 p/w.

The flat rate system is actually stealing from the young (under 30's) to fund the SERPS of the older generation (50+). There is no "serps" after 2015/6 - it's just flat rate of £140 ish built up over 35 years - so about £4 per week per year of NI contributions you make. If you don't start work till after 2016, then the max you can ever get is £140 p/w.

I'm going to be a winner from all this, but I believe the system is overly generous to my generation.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2014, 12:43:55 »

Good on you. It's not a sexy or popular thing to save in a pension, but you will have the last laugh when the nay-sayers are all eating cold baked beans in their old age.

I know plenty of people who pay £40 per month for Sky TV, and similar amounts for their mobile phones. Yet they won't save/invest that £100 per month in a pension for their old age.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.