Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Easter-tide blessings".......  (Read 932 times)

Debs.

"Easter-tide blessings".......
« on: 21 April 2011, 11:23:21 »

.......or, "The long weekend Holiday"  (as The BBC seems to have begun calling it!?!?!)

"Believe it; or not!" ::)......Britain remains a Christian country, Easter is a profoundly Christian festival; MANY Britons still are 'of faith' and even those whom aren`t, are free to enjoy their "long weekend holiday" off, only because of this: the largest festival in the Christian calender......so, please can we have it called Easter, again!  :y

.....I`m sure the Muslims and the PC brigade wont mind! ::)

aaronjb

Re: "Easter-tide blessings".......
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2011, 11:25:24 »

I'm afraid I don't really care what it's called .. as long as I get a long weekend off work :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2011, 11:28:03 »

.......or, "The long weekend Holiday"  (as The BBC seems to have begun calling it!?!?!)

"Believe it; or not!" ::)......Britain remains a Christian country, Easter is a profoundly Christian festival; MANY Britons still are 'of faith' and even those whom aren`t, are free to enjoy their "long weekend holiday" off, only because of this: the largest festival in the Christian calender......so, please can we have it called Easter, again!  :y

.....I`m sure the Muslims and the PC brigade wont mind! ::)

Such unbridled optimism is endearing........Ms Debs.. :-* :-* :-*

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2011, 21:49:00 »

I dunno Debs. I see all religion as a bit silly really like father christmas or the tooth fairy. The difference is Father Christmas & the Tooth fairy are'nt to blame for worldwide suffering, death by stoning, terrorism & more.

I love you, no really i do!!! & understand Easter is more than choccie bunnies/eggs. ...But

Tradition can have a nasty side.  :'(
Curry makes the world go round!

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2011, 21:52:49 »

Best wishes for the long weekend holiday to you and the doggies Debs. ;D ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Nickbat

« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2011, 22:05:43 »

Happy Easter, Debs.  :y :y

Debs.

« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2011, 22:14:11 »

I dunno Debs. I see all religion as a bit silly really like father christmas or the tooth fairy. The difference is Father Christmas & the Tooth fairy are'nt to blame for worldwide suffering, death by stoning, terrorism & more.

I love you, no really i do!!! & understand Easter is more than choccie bunnies/eggs. ...But

but, not forgetting the peaceful-acceptance, joy, comfort and community brought by many faiths.
......As with so-many things: a minority spoil it for the majority. ;)

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2011, 22:24:10 »

Hot cross buns for tomorrow, Easter weekend to celebrate Christ rising from the dead sounds good to me, but I was brought up a Catholic albeit a not completely practising one
No more Omega but still hangs around

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2011, 22:49:12 »

the difference between father christmas and the tooth fairy is that it is in plain print in the bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20corinthians%2011.23-26&version=NIV

watering down by the bbc is wrong.

next.  the wedding of "some people in london".

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2011, 23:48:23 »

the difference between father christmas and the tooth fairy is that it is in plain print in the bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20corinthians%2011.23-26&version=NIV

watering down by the bbc is wrong.

next.  the wedding of "some people in london".
Thre bible is in print. So is the daily tabloid. Does'nt make it right.
  That said despite being a devout athiest i accept that is only my humble view & whether i believe or not religion brings comfort to many & sadly earns itself a bad name by a minority of fanatics who spoil it for everyone else.

Enjoy Easter in whichever way you choose, Guy.
Curry makes the world go round!

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2011, 07:45:51 »

Happy Easter to all OOFer's - have a great weekend!  :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2011, 08:16:27 »

I heard a "Thought for the Day" by Canon Dr Andrew Billings recently which I thought captured the essence of where many of us stand today - especially those born in or before 1960s/70s. That is the distinction between 1. religious custom/tradition and 2. religious belief.

Religious custom is where you are able to enjoy aspects of ceremonies,  times such as Easter and all sorts of others events where our rich history of tradition has strengthened communities over time and generally brought people together.

In the past those brought up in religious "belief" households have increasingly questioned the basis of those beliefs but in terms of preserving family harmony etc we find that we  go along with religious "tradition" but without feeling obliged to "believe".

Thus there is a coexistence between the two which I find interesting because so many commentators feel obliged to draw hard edges between believers and non believers which to me is unnecessary. Why should you feel guilty about going to church to a funeral or a wedding as a non believer - you are simply engaging in religious custom handed down over generations which does a great job of bringing families and people in general together at important times in either your life or the lives of others with positive effects.

So no need for anyone to feel that they are not being true to their beliefs so as to distance themselves from those that do. We all try and do things for others and respect others irrespective of any religious belief.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Martian

« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2011, 08:44:45 »

Spot on  :y

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2011, 09:11:36 »

couple of thousand years ago, a guy came along who said wouldn't it be good if we could all be nice to each other.

for this he was dragged through the streets with a cross on his back, then nailed to that cross....oh yeah, with a jaggy bonnet jammed on his head, stuck with a spear, left to die, taken down, left in a cave blocked with a huge boulder and a guard.

then the body disappeared and he popped up now and then, appearing to a few chosen ones.

to celebrate we stop work and eat chocolate eggs.

yeah its nuts, but i'll go along with it - Happy Easter  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2011, 06:41:27 »

50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.