Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Text driver faces jail over death'  (Read 6358 times)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
Re: 'Text driver faces jail over death'
« Reply #60 on: 04 February 2008, 19:04:13 »

YaY  I Vote TheBoy for Prime Minister !!!

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 February 2008, 19:06:53 »

Would you feel the same if that was your child on the pushbike?

I would be inconsolable if the deceased were any of mine.

However, if you do something like running a red light/playing chicken on a dual carriageway, then participants instantly become prime contender for the next issue of the Darwin awards.,

When I did my car and bike test you had to keep your eyes peeled, if you saw an ice cream van slow down be looking out for children running across the road, at junctions be watching for motorbikes etc....
Be honest if you were driving your car and a person be it a cyclist, motorcyclist or a car jumping the red light, you would do your best to miss them, swerve run into another car, wall anything to miss the person.... if then the person had been killed I would be able to live with myself knowing full well I could have done no more.

in this day and age, people are more likely to swerve to save a dog, causing them to lose control, and kill loads of people.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 February 2008, 19:08:22 »

However, if you do something like running a red light/playing chicken on a dual carriageway, then participants instantly become prime contender for the next issue of the Darwin awards.,

When I did my car and bike test you had to keep your eyes peeled, if you saw an ice cream van slow down be looking out for children running across the road, at junctions be watching for motorbikes etc....
Be honest if you were driving your car and a person be it a cyclist, motorcyclist or a car jumping the red light, you would do your best to miss them, swerve run into another car, wall anything to miss the person.... if then the person had been killed I would be able to live with myself knowing full well I could have done no more.

in this day and age, people are more likely to swerve to save a dog, causing them to lose control, and kill loads of people.
and to add to that, supposing she had seen cyclist, swerved, lost control, hit other cars causing injury, while the single brain cell cyclist rides away?
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 February 2008, 19:15:15 »

and to add to that, supposing she had seen cyclist, swerved, lost control, hit other cars causing injury, while the single brain cell cyclist rides away?

If that had been the case, yes you would have been annoyed that your No Claims Bonus could have possibly gone out of the window, I can live with losing a few hundred quid........
Sooner that than killing someone when i could have tried to prevented it..

« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 19:17:03 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 February 2008, 19:29:38 »

If that had been the case, yes you would have been annoyed that your No Claims Bonus could have possibly gone out of the window, I can live with losing a few hundred quid........

So how would you have felt had you of swerved to avoid the neanderthal and caused a bigger head on accident, perhaps killing/maming someone/others, and that definately would be your fault. And the cyclist rides away into anomality.
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 February 2008, 19:36:46 »

Once upon a time, dealt with a double fatal where a driver swerved on a country road at dusk to avoid a rabbit in his path.  Head on into another car and both innocent occupants minced.  At fault driver survived and held his hands up.   Managed a fine and ban but avoided jail.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 February 2008, 19:39:18 »

I'm a little calmer now but will continue the debate.

I have actually been in a similar situation to her (granted, I wasn't using the phone, and wasn't speeding). A pedestrian at a pelican crossing for some reason didn't wait for the green man. Knocked him flying, poor sod.  Luckily, nobody hurt, no idea how, as I had probably only just managed to get on brakes before impact, so probably about 30mph.  Only damage was a damaged number plate and a big tailback whilst he worked out what happened.

Now suppose I had killed him (and at 30mph that is very possible)......
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 February 2008, 19:41:36 »

So how would you have felt had you of swerved to avoid the neanderthal and caused a bigger head on accident, perhaps killing/maming someone/others, and that definately would be your fault. And the cyclist rides away into anomality.

The instance we are all refering too was at a set of lights, so the poor person I would hit trying to avoid this cyclist would more than likely be in another car, so they stand a far greater chance of survival than a person on a pushbike....
We are all being allowed time to think what we would do in that situation, but in a split second I would say 99% of drivers would swerve out of the way.........
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 04 February 2008, 19:43:00 »

This woman didn't give herself the option, her eyes totally off the road..

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 04 February 2008, 19:53:57 »

The green light does not give you carte blanche to drive on, it is "permission" to procede with care ...

She did not take care because she was speeding and texting.

You are not allowed to mow down others simply because THEY break the law.

Deserves everything she gets.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04 February 2008, 19:55:01 »

This woman didn't give herself the option, her eyes totally off the road..
I can find no reference to how much 'notice' she would have had had she not been play with the bloody phone.

But (and I am guessing here), not much.

How long does it take a pushbike to clear the width of a car? 1 second? What would be her thinking + reaction + car response (to swerve 4' or more) time? Significantly less than 1 second? I think not.

And, as said earlier, surely to god the cyclist must have seen 1 tonne of metal approaching at 30mph.  Surely he knew he would lose that one.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 February 2008, 19:57:47 »

The green light does not give you carte blanche to drive on, it is "permission" to procede with care ...

I agree she should be punished (perhaps my earlier comment earlier about shooting her might be a tad strong - actually, maybe not), the point is her phone actions may not have caused the accident.
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 04 February 2008, 19:57:54 »

...... She would still be allowed to enter the junction on a green, only if safe to proceed....
agreed....

Also agreed.....

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 February 2008, 20:04:17 »

Another thought ....

Lets take the emotive issue of texting out of it ...

She was doing 45 in a 30 limit... ok the cyclist was in the wrong .. but if she had been doing 30 would the collision have occured ?? Did the cyclist make his fatal decision expecting her to be doing 30 ?? Would she have been able to stop at 30 if she had seen him ??

She could be done just as well for "death by dangerous" even if not texting, that just compounds the error, but says an awful lot about her attitude IMHO

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 February 2008, 20:04:57 »

In which case I will agree to disagree, as I think if she had her eyes on the road as she should have done, she may have caught a glimpse of this guy and either slowed down or swerved.
You are a motorcyclist have you ever been riding your motorbike and had someone pull out on you?
The first thing the car driver says "I am so sorry I never saw you!"  and yet most motorcyclist ride with their headlights on.....
I think all car drivers should be made to ride a motorcycle for a while before getting into a car....
I honestly think that a motorcyclist that drives a car looks more whilst driving..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.