Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3073281 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #22245 on: 19 May 2021, 18:11:25 »

Need to go back to Londonium again, due to yet another shitty, crappy, unreliable Cisco server PSU failing. 3rd this week.

Need to decide, BBP or a shitbox.  Am I confident in the BBP?
Just squeeze your bulk into the shit box and stop moaning  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22246 on: 19 May 2021, 18:13:49 »

And, while we are on the subject of transport, here is a snippet from sky business news today:

That left the company as an infrastructure investment business, financing and managing projects under the then-Labour government's Private Finance Initiative, including running the highly-regarded Chiltern Railways service into Marylebone.

;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22247 on: 19 May 2021, 18:54:34 »

Need to go back to Londonium again, due to yet another shitty, crappy, unreliable Cisco server PSU failing. 3rd this week.

Throw a sickie , take the Jag for a spin & thrash it, if it survives have a couple of pints job done , work is never that important..👍
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22248 on: 19 May 2021, 19:01:25 »

Cisco Server? One of those rebadged Dell's that they rebadge and tell you it's an Appliance?

As far as Cisco routers (*) and switches go, I could count the amount of switches and routers i've replaced due to failed PSU's in the last 25 or so years on one hand and i'd say pretty much all of them failed because they got too hot (which is always down to an installation issue - poor airflow in cabinet / comms room - New builds hate installing AC as it messes with the Green credentials of the build). I can't say the same for the total POS HPE Aruba and HPE Comware switches in the past 5 years though.... Thank God the M versions were bought with dual PSU's....

....Still, keeps me employed and paid so I guess every cloud has a silver lining!  ;D

* OK i'll admit the C891's can be a bit shitty if they build up any static  :-X and the 6509's can sometimes get their knickers in a knot when the Supervisor board wont release the power to other boards in the chassis.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22249 on: 19 May 2021, 19:57:31 »

Throw a sickie , take the Jag for a spin & thrash it, if it survives have a couple of pints job done , work is never that important..👍
Spoken like a true civil servant  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22250 on: 19 May 2021, 20:08:15 »

Spoken like a true civil servant  ::)
Knob 
« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 20:10:28 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22251 on: 19 May 2021, 23:47:04 »

Knob

I wonder what it said pre-edit   ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22252 on: 20 May 2021, 07:10:49 »

Knob

I wonder what it said pre-edit   ;D
Well it certainly wasn't 'big knob'  ;D
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22253 on: 22 May 2021, 09:24:23 »

including running the highly-regarded Chiltern Railways service into Marylebone.
I've been a semi regular user of that service forever, both on Aylesbury <> Marylebone and Bicester/Banbury <> Marylebone, and not sure I can ever recall it being on time.  Admittedly, 95% of the time its never more than 15 minutes late, so they don't have to class it as late.  Additionally, its never been more than 3hrs late for me.

However, I do object to paying about £90 (including parking) and not even getting a seat.  I even recall spending a journey with several other blokes in the crapper cubicle due to a lack of standing space.

Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22254 on: 22 May 2021, 09:33:12 »

Cisco Server? One of those rebadged Dell's that they rebadge and tell you it's an Appliance?

As far as Cisco routers (*) and switches go, I could count the amount of switches and routers i've replaced due to failed PSU's in the last 25 or so years on one hand and i'd say pretty much all of them failed because they got too hot (which is always down to an installation issue - poor airflow in cabinet / comms room - New builds hate installing AC as it messes with the Green credentials of the build). I can't say the same for the total POS HPE Aruba and HPE Comware switches in the past 5 years though.... Thank God the M versions were bought with dual PSU's....

....Still, keeps me employed and paid so I guess every cloud has a silver lining!  ;D

* OK i'll admit the C891's can be a bit shitty if they build up any static  :-X and the 6509's can sometimes get their knickers in a knot when the Supervisor board wont release the power to other boards in the chassis.
They do their own now, after rebadging HP Proliants and then Dell Poweredge.  And they are monumentally shite with a massive failure rate (like >20% a year).

And, I discovered this week, if you use the official cable management arm, you can't replace one of the hot plug PSUs without disconnecting the cable management arm, thus unplugging the other PSU.  Talk about not thinking that one through.

Generally, I've found their switches and routers to be pretty reliable, including our creaky 6509s ;D.  Although one of our Nexus 5000s ate 3 fans in a fortnight a few weeks ago.

We went through a stage of 40Gb SFP's failing, both in the Cisco servers and in the Nexus.  But hardly surprising, as they are too hot to handle after they have been inserted for more than a day or so.  No wonder Cisco put those rubber handles on ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22255 on: 22 May 2021, 10:28:52 »

My daughter mentioned that the Corsa was acting strangely when braking. A quick test drive revealed a pulling to the right and an effect of the left rear corner dipping left, creating a crabbing effect. Suspecting a lazy front left caliper I whipped the wheel off to check, and found the caliper piston seized. I removed the caliper from its carrier and tried to free it. After applying brake pressure, clamping back in and repeating many times, it moves about 5mm. No amount of Plus Gas was going to shift it. I'll get one off a breaker on Monday and clean it up and change the seals if necessary, ready to swap them over.
Hopefully it won't be howling a gale and pissing down like it was yesterday when I was working on it.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22256 on: 22 May 2021, 11:25:11 »

My daughter mentioned that the Corsa was acting strangely when braking. A quick test drive revealed a pulling to the right and an effect of the left rear corner dipping left, creating a crabbing effect. Suspecting a lazy front left caliper I whipped the wheel off to check, and found the caliper piston seized. I removed the caliper from its carrier and tried to free it. After applying brake pressure, clamping back in and repeating many times, it moves about 5mm. No amount of Plus Gas was going to shift it. I'll get one off a breaker on Monday and clean it up and change the seals if necessary, ready to swap them over.
Hopefully it won't be howling a gale and pissing down like it was yesterday when I was working on it.  ::)

Have you priced a replacement, exchange caliper? You could have the job done before lunch today.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22257 on: 22 May 2021, 11:45:17 »

Have you priced a replacement, exchange caliper? You could have the job done before lunch today.

I had a quick look on ECP and with their discount code it comes in at around £122. They are refurbished units so it carries a £29.99 surcharge. The guy who lives opposite me works there so I might ask what he can get one for and add a drink on to the price for him.  :-\  Not like the old days when we had a load of motor factors near to us.  :(  The breaker (ASM) is within a mile of my house but I also realise that I could be picking up a part equally as shite as the one on there (for under £30). I would much rather put a shiny exchange caliper on there.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22258 on: 22 May 2021, 13:17:50 »

Might be prudent to do both...
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22259 on: 22 May 2021, 20:27:21 »

£122 for a re-furbished Corsa caliper :o :o A couple of years ago I bought a brand new front caliper for my V70 for just over £40 and that included shipping/delivery from Germany!

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.