Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new mower?  (Read 5502 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a new mower?
« Reply #30 on: 11 October 2023, 07:31:56 »

Downside of older mowers, you have to stick to E5 petrol, which in my case means Tesco 99 stuff.

When rebuilding the carb use the later non rubber gaskets, they run on anything then  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2023, 20:42:54 »

Good tip thank you  :y

Picked it up tonight, nice chap who'd had it since new. Started from cold on the second pull but hunts as soon as you take it off choke. Definitely a little bit of tinkering to do, but obviously plenty of life left in the old girl yet.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 October 2023, 18:56:43 »

A blocked idle jet can often cause them to hunt, assuming this flavour has one.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 October 2023, 13:22:32 »

I assume there's no oil filter on these? I had a look on B&S but as far as I can tell the only ones they sell are for tractor mowers.

Not to my knowledge. I just lift all four wheels on to bricks and undo the square drive plug in the blade well to dump the oil.  :y
I've learnt something - I've always tipped mine upside down so it comes out of the filler ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 October 2023, 13:23:25 »

…………………
It'll most likely have a metal blade, so hop that off at use a grinder to put a good edge back on it ……….

And remember to sharpen it equally both sides so that the blade doesn’t go out of balance, otherwise you end up with a vibrating mower.  :y
I sort of balance mine on a screwdriver to see if one end is heavier than other. Sure there are better ways though
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 October 2023, 18:39:59 »

I recently bought a second hand Mac Allister (B&Q own brand) petrol lawnmower which has a 125cc Briggs and Stratton engine, after my trusty old Bosch Rotak electric mower fell apart.  :(

I've only used it once so far, but once I got going after faffing about filling it with petrol and getting it started, it mowed my lawn nicely and quicker with the wider deck.  :y

Much heavier than the leccy mower though, and as it's not self propelled, mowing the lawn will be good exercise in future!  :)

Briggs and Stratton sounds like posh shortbread given the royal seal of approval by the Queen.

When it comes to mower motors B and S leave much to be desired. :-\
« Last Edit: 14 October 2023, 18:42:17 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2023, 18:41:55 »

I assume there's no oil filter on these? I had a look on B&S but as far as I can tell the only ones they sell are for tractor mowers.

Not to my knowledge. I just lift all four wheels on to bricks and undo the square drive plug in the blade well to dump the oil.  :y
I've learnt something - I've always tipped mine upside down so it comes out of the filler ;D
This.

My mower does not appear to have a drain plug.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 October 2023, 20:10:59 »

This.

The Briggs I’ve worked on have the drain plug here (see photo) but maybe they don’t all have them.  :-\  You just need a square drive extension, no socket.

« Last Edit: 14 October 2023, 20:13:22 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 October 2023, 00:00:21 »

I recently bought a second hand Mac Allister (B&Q own brand) petrol lawnmower which has a 125cc Briggs and Stratton engine, after my trusty old Bosch Rotak electric mower fell apart.  :(

I've only used it once so far, but once I got going after faffing about filling it with petrol and getting it started, it mowed my lawn nicely and quicker with the wider deck.  :y

Much heavier than the leccy mower though, and as it's not self propelled, mowing the lawn will be good exercise in future!  :)

Briggs and Stratton sounds like posh shortbread given the royal seal of approval by the Queen.

Really?  ???  I thought they were good.  :-\

Being a B&Q own brand I tought it would have a Chinese motor and when I picked it up was pleased when I saw it was a B&S.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 October 2023, 11:52:47 »

That reminds of Toyota Racing Division... a bit of a misdirection if you read it quickly... lots of cars with TuRD splattered over them ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2023, 12:18:21 »

Being a B&Q own brand I tought it would have a Chinese motor and when I picked it up was pleased when I saw it was a B&S.  :)
B&S are fine.  And have the added advantage that any spares are very, very readily available, genuine or pattern :y
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2023, 12:44:00 »

This.

The Briggs I’ve worked on have the drain plug here (see photo) but maybe they don’t all have them.  :-\  You just need a square drive extension, no socket.

It may be me not checking properly YZ...... :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 October 2023, 12:45:44 »

Would a Honda lump prove more reliable and last longer?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2023, 12:53:13 »

Anyway.....I also need a new mower.

Must be petrol.
Not a 'girlie' electric or battery job.
51CM or 20 inch cut.
NOT QUALCAST CRAP
Not fitted with a made from wet cardboard B&S motor, regardless of what Tigger and TB think.
£200-£450. :)

I'll have a  look in B and Q this afternoon.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 October 2023, 13:31:28 »

Anyway.....I also need a new mower.

Must be petrol.
Not a 'girlie' electric or battery job.
51CM or 20 inch cut.
NOT QUALCAST CRAP
Not fitted with a made from wet cardboard B&S motor, regardless of what Tigger and TB think.
£200-£450. :)

I'll have a  look in B and Q this afternoon.

Lidl have Parkside petrol mowers at the moment. £129.99.  What could possibly go wrong?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.