Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cooling fans not coming on :(  (Read 1073 times)

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
cooling fans not coming on :(
« on: 29 March 2014, 10:05:58 »

Hello, I've got another problem with the omega now. The cooling fan runs fine and I've tested this using a pin in the two pin wire and it works fine. But it won't come on at all when its connected to the sensor.
It keeps overheating and it won't come on so I have to keep the heaters on all the time or short the fan wire to have it always running (discharges the battery quickly)

So after taking it to the garage and confirming that it was the radiator fan switch and being quoted £40, I did it myself, I went out and brought one, unscrewed the sensor which is underneath the hose and near the battery and put the new one in and replaced the lost antifreeze.

But it still won't work! The car keeps going to 100, 105 then the red ship comes on and I have to turn it on.

What could it be!!! I am losing a minute amount of coolant here and there. Could this be related?

Thank you  :-[

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: cooling fans not coming on :(
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2014, 11:48:36 »

Are there relays in this circuit jay? that would be my first port of call  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2014, 12:08:01 »

What do relays mean?

The fan definitely works when I short the two pins and the sensor is new so it should open/close and turn the fans on.

If relays are fuses that you are referring to then I don't think its them as the fan works and the sensor is not connected to anything else.

Thanks
Jay

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2014, 12:31:51 »

So if you manually provide 12v at the fan it runs..... but doesn't come on when it's plugged in and in the car? I'd check relays first (relays are the square items that live in the fuse box and use low current side to provide power to a circuit needing high current)

hth
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2020, 19:15:42 »

Any luck with the Omega fan issue? I have a similar issue in that neither of the fans radiator or ac are coming on and the car is overheating, Have changed basically all the relays to new ones changed all 3 of the sensors and running out of things to try... wanted to see if you had any luck

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2020, 19:24:14 »

Any luck with the Omega fan issue? I have a similar issue in that neither of the fans radiator or ac are coming on and the car is overheating, Have changed basically all the relays to new ones changed all 3 of the sensors and running out of things to try... wanted to see if you had any luck

You've barely started!

You do need a multi-meter so you can check various wiring connections. As none of the fans are working, start with the earthing point, and that the power supply is good. It is unlikely that all 3 fans would have died, but feeding each one directly with battery power through their connectors takes seconds and proves they're good - or not!

Randomly swapping parts is a very poor way to 'fix' anything, and is particularly inefficient for electrical faults.

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2020, 21:53:11 »

Have a multi meter and checked the voltages in and out of the relays and to the fan etc. Put power to them individually and both work The small fan in the ecu relay box comes on tho, so am sure it’s electrical with the other two something like an earth?  Not quite sure where they are earthed so will have to get under the bonnet and check the earths are all good and clean ground
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.