Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket propably gone  (Read 1214 times)

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
Head gasket propably gone
« on: 12 September 2020, 14:54:51 »

Hello to all. I hope everyone s safe and in good health.
Problem again with my omega
Out on a freeway,  going uphill, LPG as fuel,  130 kph in 3 rd gear  (range rover brand new was behind me so I had to be on high revs :)).
So, white smoke out of the exhaust, engine temp went up in red, lots of coolant went out of the expansion tank cap.
I parked immediately, turned of the engine, fans still running, waited till car temp went down.
Turned around, now downhill, and drove for 20 miles back,
Drove it like 140 kph, temp went down below 80 and did not came up. In the city, it went up to 100 degrees parked, but when throttled temp goes back to 90.
So, the verdict is most likely head gasket blown?
If so what brand would you reccomend, and what's the price of it in UK
And can I drove the car to work, plain road no traffic 10 kms away.
Thank you

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket propably gone
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2020, 15:10:03 »

First, you need to do some proper diagnosis to confirm the failure: compression test and pressurising the cooling system while checking the cylinders for water.

A head gasket set(which includes the manifold gaskets, valve stem oil seals and others) plus the head bolts, is about £100. It's sensible to replace other parts while it's apart - the thermostat is now easy for example - and to do some of the other recommended maintenance.

There's quite a lot of work in this job, which includes fitting the timing belt, so be sure you or your mechanic know how to use the necessary tools.

Your reported drastic failure could have done other damage that won't be apparent until you've removed the heads. Figuring out why it happened should be part of the job.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2020, 15:12:46 »

Elring or Victor Reinz, don't forget thermostat, water pump and cambelt kit.

First run a compression test and also consider the possibility that the Reducer may be failing under load and allowing water into the pistons, and coincidentally the car momentarily overheated from the load, creating the impression of HG failure.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Gintonic

• Macedonia
    • Omega B FL, 3.0 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2020, 16:27:26 »

Well, I m taking the car to the mechanic in Monday. For now there s no difference in the sound of the engine, runs fine, but I m not driving it, no smoke through the exhaust. I guess shit happens when car under load.
What is the reducer and what does it do?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2020, 17:19:14 »

Turnsliquid lpg into a combustible fuel :-X

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2020, 18:20:54 »

Well, I m taking the car to the mechanic in Monday. For now there s no difference in the sound of the engine, runs fine, but I m not driving it, no smoke through the exhaust. I guess shit happens when car under load.
What is the reducer and what does it do?

Like I said, you need to be certain of the diagnosis, and have a good explanation as to why it happened. That could easily save you £200 in parts, and several hours work.

Something so drastic that happened so suddenly, yet doesn't seem to have had any obvious side effects probably isn't a gasket failure. Especially on an LPG equipped car....

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2020, 20:44:38 »

Compression test is the best way to see if head gasket has failed.

Many folk say it’s very unlikely to be head gasket with such symptoms , however if compression in one or more cylinders is well down compared to others then that’s most likely head gasket.

I did mine recently and compression in cylinder 1 was about 1/3 reading of others. On strip down head gasket was clearly breached

As others have said, once in there, your‘re looking at replacement of other gaskets, thermostat, water pump, cam belt, tensioners etc, Aux drive belt. Obviously oil & filter change on reassembly too.

Good luck
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2020, 20:52:25 »

Compression test is the best way to see if head gasket has failed.

Many folk say it’s very unlikely to be head gasket with such symptoms , however if compression in one or more cylinders is well down compared to others then that’s most likely head gasket.

I did mine recently and compression in cylinder 1 was about 1/3 reading of others. On strip down head gasket was clearly breached

As others have said, once in there, your‘re looking at replacement of other gaskets, thermostat, water pump, cam belt, tensioners etc, Aux drive belt. Obviously oil & filter change on reassembly too.

Good luck

Compression test is recommended because it's easy to do with a cheap, commonly available tool. It doesn't actually tell what the leak is, which the other methods can. In some cases it doesn't show any failure - my failed head gasket was leaking into the cylinder when the engine was turned off, but the compressions were all good.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2020, 20:56:31 »

In this case, LPG system needs looking at first.

A new reducer/vaporiser is peanuts compared to the cost of replacing the head gaskets ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.