Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 cam cover fitment  made a "little" easier  (Read 1451 times)

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
  • She who must be obeyed's motor !
    • View Profile
V6 cam cover fitment  made a "little" easier
« on: 22 October 2006, 16:37:24 »

Hi,
     i replaced both covers on mine on Friday and whilst there is still a faint smell of burning oil i am hoping that it will fade in the next few days. Everything certainly looks dry, and several other members have mentioned that the smell can linger for a week or so.

I followed the How2 guides fully including the breathers and found them immensely helpful. What made the fitment of the passenger side bank "ONE HELL OF A LOT EASIER" was spending an extra five minutes removing the front  ? bracket for the air con pipe and then  prise open the plastic cable trough , ease the wiring loom out. Remove the plastic trough totally  and ease the loom upwards/bacwards and tie it out of the way.
I tied the plug leads back in the same manner and found that by doing this i could slide the cam cover in EASILY without dislodging the gasket. I tried three or four dry runs before ever applying the black sealant and knew that by doing this i had a lot more clearance.

I seem to remember seeing this tip mentioned on this or "THAT OTHER site some time ago so the idea certainly isnt mine but one that i would strongly recommend. I know that by the time you have stripped it down as far as this you dont want any extra work but that 5 minutes i mentioned will definitely save a lot of frustration.

Fingers crossed now and hope everything is okay and that the smell disappears totally. If they are still leaking i will be looking for bandages for my wrists as the thought of doing it again is not a pleasant one.

Cheers Darryl
« Last Edit: 22 October 2006, 16:38:43 by Darryl_Flynn »
Darryl

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re:  V6 cam cover fitment  made a "little" ea
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2006, 16:45:08 »

Very true and already mentioned in the maintenance guide:

It is recommended that the cable assembly that runs across the passenger side cam cover is removed from the cable tray and the cable tray is placed to one side (as shown). This makes access to the cam cover considerably easier.

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2006, 16:47:41 »

Thanks Mark,
                       what about the smell still lingering ? Have you experienced it taking a day or two to burn off any old residue?

Cheers Darryl
Darryl

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2006, 16:54:23 »

It can take a week...depends how hot the engine gets and how much oil is there....not unusual and can still smoke like hell which is always worrying.

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2006, 19:52:14 »

Thanks Mark,

I will refrain from the Stanley Knife blades on strategic bodily parts for the next 7 days!!!!!

If i come back on here 3 octaves up, those B*^%$$$&^**rd gaskets ( GENUINE VAUXHALL,
LAID ON 90 DEGREE SURFACES LACED WITH CORRECT BLACK VAUXHALL SEALANT AND TORQUED DOWN BY AN EXORCIST) have failed in less than a week.

Yours, ever hopeful and quietly sh*******G myself     Darryl

PS I think only TVR ownership comes close to the same level of Suicide inducing tendencies.
Darryl

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2006, 12:33:47 »

The burning smell lasted for about a week on mine - did worry me at first i must say.

Have you cleaned the breathers? please tell me you have. (see also "plenum breather box pics" in general chat to see how bad they can be even after what you think is a good clean)
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
Re:  V6 cam cover fitment  made a "littl
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2006, 13:52:54 »

Took bob's omega 2 sets of rocker cover gaskets and a new pair of rocker box covers before we got this problem licked! And the smell is awful, so I can sympathise there   :-/

I swear my breathing hasn't been the same since!

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2006, 16:31:33 »

The burning smell lasted for about a week on mine - did worry me at first i must say.

Have you cleaned the breathers? please tell me you have. (see also "plenum breather box pics" in general chat to see how bad they can be even after what you think is a good clean)

Yep,
          cleaned thoroughly as per the how2. Like i say once is enough and i can see the sense and reasoning behind cleaning the breathers. Its a MUST

Cheers Darryl
Darryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.