Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm Power Sounders  (Read 1924 times)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
Alarm Power Sounders
« on: 20 September 2007, 19:15:09 »

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me where they are located on a pre mini-facelift??

I have 2 sounders in the boot, which have obviously been disconnected, as the key needs coding to the car so whenever I want to unlock it I have to unlock the door and have to put the key in the ignition to deactivate it, as the remote won't work.

However, with it not making any sounds at all, and me going back to Uni in liverpool soon, I'd rather have a few seconds of ear bashing from the alarm to know my car is a little bit more secure, than to just have a few flashing lights like a disco.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 20 September 2007, 19:16:18 by PaulW »
Humbugs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm Power Sounders
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2007, 20:40:40 »

On my Facelift they're under the scuttle cover just behind the driver's side suspension turret.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2007, 11:22:56 »

Right I've found the plug, and tried both powersounders... nothing :(

The indicator lights flash when I unlock the car and open the door via key (so to show an alarm is triggered) but the powersounder itself remains silent.  Also I noticed there is a secondary horn there too (like in my corsa) should this be making a sound also??

Any other ways I can test/make sure the alarm system does actually work??

Cheers
Humbugs...

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2007, 11:56:14 »

Rung up Vauxhall to price a replacement sounder...

£145.70inc VAT.  :o :o :o Not available on TC either...

Any suggestions??   :-?
Humbugs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2007, 12:46:04 »

The normal sounder should raise hell when the alarm goes off. It sounds like a normal horn as opposed to an electronic siren. The only thing the power sounder adds is battery backup so if the scumbag disconnects the vehicle battery the power sounder carries on.

The power sounder does have rechargeable batteries in so it may take a few hours of driving around before they recover their charge. I wouldn't have though that'd stop it sounding with the vehicle battery connected though.

Still, I'd concentrate on getting the main horn sounder working as that'll be good enough and a less expensive route.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2007, 13:26:39 »

Cheers Kevin

I've been doing a bit more reading up, quite a few Vectra & other Omega owners from 'various' other sites say that the lights still flash, but the horn stops working when the powersounder battery dies or is disconnected.  And when fitting a replacement sounder, it needs mating up with Tech2 before both parts make a noise??

Something to look into further I guess...
Humbugs...

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2007, 13:30:14 »

one way to test if the alarm is working assuming you have the bonnet switch connected is to open the bonnet then close it back down but not until it latches fully, close everything else up and arm the alarm you say the remote does not work but this can be done with the key in the lock. leave the car for say a good ten minutes then go back and lift the bonnet up and see what happens. I did this I was doing something to the car and was called away went back and forgot to disarm the alarm and wonderd why the alarm had gone off  :-[  

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2007, 14:59:02 »

My power sounder was removed recently due to a leaking battery and the main alarm sounder still works quite happily.

Kevin

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2007, 23:45:55 »

Still no closer to diagnosing why the horn unit itself isn't sounding... Don't really know where to start!  The thing is connected up fine though...

Got a quote from Autovaux on the powersounder - £80...  Not as bad as Vaux!
Humbugs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2007, 10:53:15 »

If you set the alarm and then deliberately trigger it does anything happen? (indicators flashing?)

If the indicators are flashing but no sound I would have a look at the horn sounder. If it has caused trouble in the past maybe this has been disconnected or it has failed. Maybe take it off the car and connect 12 volts across it. See if it works.

Failing that I think the alarm can be interrogated by Tech 2 so get Jaime or Mark to have a look and see if it's complaining about anything.

Kevin

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2007, 11:07:31 »

Cheers Kevin

Yes the indicators do there happy-flashing routine, but still no sound from just the horn itself...  It is connected up, but I will try a 12v feed direct from the battery later on see how it fairs.  Least the horn itself is only a few £££ from VX unlike the powersounder itself :)

As soon as the car is fit for a good journey, I'm going to be making a trip to Marks to get a key coded and autobox software updated, so will see what he can suggest with the alarm from his Tech2 :)
Humbugs...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2007, 11:31:17 »

Sounds good. Might also be worth connecting a sidelight bulb or similar across the feed to the horn, and see if that flashes when the alarm goes off. That'll prove if there is power to it.

Kevin

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2007, 13:01:45 »

Just a quicky When I was unplugging My power Sounder as it was setting off the alarm all the time i unplugged the wrong one and i had just the indicators flashing away when i set it off, I replugged the horn sounder back in and unplugged the black box power sounder and everything seems fine now.

Take your horns/sounders out and run 12V through it and see if it sounds if not down to the scrapper or ebay
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.