Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passenger door locked  (Read 1197 times)

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
Passenger door locked
« on: 03 September 2013, 12:49:53 »

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section but my front passenger door has just locked solid.  It has been playing up for a while and I have been putting of repairing it now it suddenly refuses to open no matter what I try.  After looking at previous posts it appears that you have virtually wreck the door card to get access to the lock mechanism in order to open it.
Is it possible to open it from outside using a "Slim Jim" type tool?  I have access to a workshop so I cam make up various hook type tools from stainless wire or hardened steel strip.  Just wondered if this would work or would I just be wasting my time?  Any help would be much appreciated, if the tool does work I could put a guide on.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Passenger door locked
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2013, 15:29:21 »

Unlikely if it wont open from the inside, that it will open using a "slim jim" from the outside ???
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2013, 21:59:29 »

After an hours struggle I have just managed to get the door open with no damage to anything apart from the brown plastic cover on the lock itself.
All I used was a metre length of 2.4mm diameter 314 stainless steel weld rod (1.6mm dia. is too weak and 3.0mm dia. is too thick to slide around easily) with an 8mm hook bent on the end and a small single LED bulb to illuminate the inside of the door.  With the door glass fully lowered and the LED bulb wedged behind the glass I was able to side the weld rod between the glass and door trim at angle of 45 degrees approximately to first pull off the brown plastic cover which took several sharp tugs to first break off and then finally flip to the bottom of the door to expose the top of the solenoid.  It helps to have a spare door catch assembly so that you can see how it works and the relative position of the locking quadrant relative to the solenoid as you cannot see the quadrant itself.  With a bit of fiddling and several false starts I finally snagged the quadrant, jerked the rod upwards and the door snapped open!  What joy, I even did a victory circuit of the garage.  The solenoid is jammed down at its lowest position so I am not sure how to dismantle it but no matter as I have a spare to fit tomorrow evening.
If anyone thinks this is useful I could place a quick guide to save anyone smashing up a perfectly good door trim panel.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 22:02:01 by Jukeboxnut »

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2013, 23:09:12 »

Mine's been locked for weeks. Hardly ever use the front passenger door, so I've not spent any time on it as yet, but this may prove useful.  :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2013, 08:17:13 »

Well done! I got into a similar but simpler pickle last March when changing the door motor on my 3.2. I replaced the door lock and shut the door, without connecting the rods or motor to it. As in your case, access to another lock unit was useful. I also damaged the plastic cover, could not see its function, so left it off.

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2013, 20:34:59 »

I suspect that the main function of the plastic cover is to prevent the use of a hook to open the door and possibly try and keep water from dripping on the mechanism.

Henry Hubbard

• Patchway, Bristol
    • 03 CDX 2.6 V6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2013, 22:19:42 »

When my door would not unlock, I eventually managed to unlock it by pulling the lock button up with big pliers. It took nearly all my strength to do it mind.

car5car

• Florida USA
    • 01 Cadillac Catera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2013, 03:30:36 »

2 days ago I fixed probably the same problem in Cadillac Catera. I removed door panel and sprayed lock by "PB-blaster". You probably don't have it in England, it is penetrant and lubricant.
Problem was sometimes outer door handle didn't open the door.
In your situation you need to remove door panel, you'll need probably remove seat first.
Before you remove anything, try to spray some penetrant between door shell and glass. If you pull door handle up, you'll be able to use hole under handle.
Good luck.
01 CADILLAC CATERA 3.0 engine (Omega)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.