Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: crank shaft sensor query.  (Read 3791 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: crank shaft sensor query.
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2023, 21:44:16 »

The crank sensor is basically a service item on the Omega.

Along with the HBV, wishbone bushes and steering idler :D

A service item??? Really???
I don't know what you did with your Omega (when you actually owned one) to have the necessity to change those items at such an appalling rate :o
The 2.6 and 3.2 crank sensor is as said 90540743.
19 years of 3.2 and 2.6 ownership, plus numerous other 2.2, 2.6 and 3.2's owned on a shorter period basis, and approx.150k combined in that time, I've only ever had to change one crank sensor on a 2.2 due to failure, one set of wishbones, one HBV, and no idlers.
So to suggest they are basically service items is a bit extreme, to say the least....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2023, 22:12:26 »

The crank sensor is basically a service item on the Omega.

Along with the HBV, wishbone bushes and steering idler :D

A service item??? Really???
I don't know what you did with your Omega (when you actually owned one) to have the necessity to change those items at such an appalling rate :o
The 2.6 and 3.2 crank sensor is as said 90540743.
19 years of 3.2 and 2.6 ownership, plus numerous other 2.2, 2.6 and 3.2's owned on a shorter period basis, and approx.150k combined in that time, I've only ever had to change one crank sensor on a 2.2 due to failure, one set of wishbones, one HBV, and no idlers.
So to suggest they are basically service items is a bit extreme, to say the least....
Personally, my ex plod had two in 9 years. Both genuine sensors from a genuine VX dealer that I genuinely had to walk into. Once at 120k and again at 250k. In that time it also required two HBVs, at similar mileages. Likewise shocks. That car was owned and used by me from 2009/97k miles until 2016/270k miles... So plenty long enough to experience the full life expectancy of various components.  Incidentally My first Omega cost £5,495 and required a clutch and cam covers in the year I owned it. The other 7 which form the basis of my ownership experience between 2009 and 2018 cost about £6,500 combined and some needed nothing, some everything. And those belonging to others that I have worked on, have all required much the same items replacing between 80-120k so take of that what you will.

The Omega was perceived by the market as being unreliable. The crank sensor was probably the single biggest cause of roadside breakdowns along with HBV failure and premature cambelt failure.

Add in all the other items that typically wear out between 80 and 120k miles and the list of what actually makes the Omega unreliable is pretty short. But the crank sensor and HBV are top of the list.

I suggest it as a service item because changing it as a matter of course at 100k is no different to, by way of an example, changing the water pump along with the cambelt on a VW Golf. The belt interval is 60-80k (depending on vehicle brand) but the water pump will leak and require replacing (with a new cambelt) at circa 100k, well before the next cambelt... Ergo you change the waterpump at each belt change.

So perhaps I mean preventative maintenance rather than routine servicing, but if you preemptively replace items known to fail as a matter of course, then the chances of an actual breakdown are significantly reduced. And if you include said items as part of routine servicing then a) you're less likely to forget, and b) less likely to suffer a failure.

Obviously that will be wrong, incorrect or otherwise contrary ::) but if you poll any recent/current Omega owners here, I would wager that at least half either carry a spare in the car or have one at home ready. :-X
« Last Edit: 04 December 2023, 22:27:56 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2023, 22:22:03 »

I'd agree with the self levelling shocks, but their failure in my experience is linked to rear coil spring pigtails breaking, which tended to be reasonably often, especially if towing.
But two crank sensors in 250k isn't really a service item is it? More preventative maintenance as you have stated.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2023, 22:29:10 »

I'd agree with the self levelling shocks, but their failure in my experience is linked to rear coil spring pigtails breaking, which tended to be reasonably often, especially if towing.
But two crank sensors in 250k isn't really a service item is it? More preventative maintenance as you have stated.
That same car was on its original plod springs. It was corrosive that killed the rear shocks. Fronts simply wore out.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2023, 15:19:55 »

So apart from the 2.5, these aren't any good for the other V6's in the Omega range. And if I'm understanding this correctly. The 90540743 would be compatible with the rest of the V6's including the 3.0?

Likely depends on the model year of the 3.0. The Vauxhall/Opel EPC is unreliable for these sensors. The only way to be sure is to pull the sensor and check. You need a like for like replacement to match the version number of the installed Bosch ECU and there doesn't seem to be any published reference table. I suspect that any Model Year 1997 V6 2.5/2.6/3.0/3.2 is more likely to have 90540743.

Character V in position 10 of the VIN designates MY '97. Model Year is not the same as calendar year or registration year. MY '97 spec cars were first produced around August 1996. And it's entirely possible that model year '96 spec production overlapped for a while.

Unless your 3.0 is one of the first produced then I doubt if it has the oval connector on the loom.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 December 2023, 00:02:17 »

...I suggest it as a service item because changing it as a matter of course at 100k is no different to, by way of an example, changing the water pump along with the cambelt on a VW Golf....

A colleague of mine has had 2 water pumps die within as many years on his Golf, one siezed up, left him standing by the roadside and very luckily didn't lunch the engine, but VAG cars are not unreliable. Oh, no! ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 December 2023, 10:42:09 »

Apart from the 5 series and 3 series BMWs I had that I blew the engines of both then the Mk1 VW Scirocco remains the most unreliable car I've ever owned[and I've owned some real dogs :D] As for the cranks sensor I don't know part numbers or anything but I'd suggest the post above by Enceladus is slightly off as my 3L was registered March 2000 and is the full facelift version and that has an oval connector.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2023, 11:28:56 »

but VAG cars are not unreliable driven by self-abusers with small willies.
Mrs TB fixed that for you ;D.  She seems to have a bee in her bonnet about VAG car drivers recently.  Whilst I do see what she is getting at, I find the Merc mob to be the worse in these parts.  BMW drivers, the few you actually see now, aren't even on the list of cocks now :o
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2023, 11:44:21 »

Most quite a lot of drives of all makes drive like idiots nowadays, because there is nothing to keep them in check. They can drive in the most appalling manner without any fear of being pulled up by the law, they know where the speed cameras are and most of them don't work anyway. It's a free for all, and most people expect, and even make allowances for, other drivers pulling out, overtaking dangerously, speeding and generally not following the rules of the road.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2023, 11:47:53 »

As I typed that, I heard the sound of a powerful car speeding down the road outside our house with parked cars either side. There is a shop five doors down which is often used by kids buying pop and sweets (probably fags and booze as well), if one of them steps out between cars, they are toast.
Diesel till I die

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2023, 15:05:29 »

Apart from the 5 series and 3 series BMWs I had that I blew the engines of both then the Mk1 VW Scirocco remains the most unreliable car I've ever owned[and I've owned some real dogs :D] As for the cranks sensor I don't know part numbers or anything but I'd suggest the post above by Enceladus is slightly off as my 3L was registered March 2000 and is the full facelift version and that has an oval connector.

"Off". How so?

An oval connector is nearly certain on any 2000 V6 as you have confirmed. I don't know the year of Mutha Jugs n Speed's car, but unless it's one of the earliest Omegas, that pre-date MY 1997 and has a square connector, then the five spare 90492006 sensors he has won't fit.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2023, 16:16:29 »

They're all facelift, 2x 3.0 and a 3.2 iirc ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2023, 07:41:22 »

Most quite a lot of drives of all makes drive like idiots nowadays, because there is nothing to keep them in check. They can drive in the most appalling manner without any fear of being pulled up by the law, they know where the speed cameras are and most of them don't work anyway. It's a free for all, and most people expect, and even make allowances for, other drivers pulling out, overtaking dangerously, speeding and generally not following the rules of the road.

.. and don 't get me started on the wokerati who refuse to pass a oppsing side road without stopping to let someone out - even if there's no traffic behind them anyway. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2023, 10:48:10 »

.. and don 't get me started on the wokerati who refuse to pass a oppsing side road without stopping to let someone out - even if there's no traffic behind [/highlight]them anyway. >:(
Errm, very loose connection to topic there Kevin.  ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 December 2023, 11:08:01 »

.. and don 't get me started on the wokerati who refuse to pass a oppsing side road without stopping to let someone out - even if there's no traffic behind [/highlight]them anyway. >:(
Errm, very loose connection to topic there Kevin.  ;)
And?  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.