Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG kit bulk buy & / or install party  (Read 10583 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Re: LPG kit bulk buy & / or install party
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2007, 17:20:31 »

Spare Wheel tanks are no good for saloon omegas as you cant get to the rear light cluster on that side its ok for estates like TD has as it gos on the rear floor
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2007, 17:24:54 »

the filler does have to be exterior mounted, however it can be colour coded if that would help hide it.

one other thing to point out, all the feedback I have have about vertical tanks is that they do give issues, are expensive and suppliers can be few and far between

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2007, 01:59:54 »

Spare Wheel tanks are no good for saloon omegas as you cant get to the rear light cluster on that side its ok for estates like TD has as it gos on the rear floor

I think you can just get to the rear cluster mounting nuts, and so if you need to replace the bulb, you could remove the whole assy and get to it that way. I think Sassenach had a tank in the spare tyre well, and how often do you need to change these bulbs?. If it causes a bit of agro every 3 years, its not a lot of trouble, and if the tank were connected with a flexible pipe, then the whole tank could be removed if there was a problem. Flexible unbraided pipes are used for connecting up Gas welding tanks, and Accetylene is a lot more dangerous than LPG.
Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2007, 02:14:13 »

I am interested, as I have most of the bits to do it, but always seem to run out of time !. I got an OMVL 21C system, and one of these multi system programming kits.

OK, here's the data:

Ken Termie
Gomersal (can travel !)
2.2L auto.
need a programming dongle.
Need pipes (both dia's), pipe connectors, rear filler, and poss tank.
Vert Toroid. I use my boot a lot, so couldn't give up the space for a cylinder.
party, yes please !

I thought the LPG guidance notes said that a pipe within 10" of the exhaust needed heat shielding. So you stick a piece of something between the tank and pipe. Mind you in this situation the tank will prob be closer than 10" to the exhaust, and there is only a piece of  tin between them.

Would it not be poss to use a hor toroid vertically, if you modified the filler cutoff to give the 80% when in that orientation. Might be as simple as rotating the filler/cutoff assy through 90deg. Would cost a lot less.
Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2007, 18:08:01 »

Well, that's 8 of us interested, including JamesV6CDX who I know is up for it.

The supplier can get hold of 4 different sizes of vertical toroidal tank, so there's plenty of scope for finding the best fit, although working out how to route the pipes needs some thought. Whilst this won't give fantastic range on LPG I work a mile from an LPG garage so a regular fillup won't be too bad. I've lived with a Westfield that only does 165 to the tank for 7 years and it's not too much of a hardship.

One idea I had for the light cluster issue is that you can get replacement LED bulbs to fit in the socket of a normal filament bulb. These should, in theory, have a much longer life than filament bulbs so may be worth considering. They'll probably need some load resistors adding to keep the flasher unit / MID bulb failure sensing happy.

Anyway, looking good.

Any more interested?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 November 2007, 20:31:03 »

i had the largest tank you can get in the spare wheel well with an actual capacity of 41 litres(ive since fitted a 100 litre tank across the rear seats)i routed the pipe around the rear of the car behind the bumper to avoid the exhaust altogether.as a ps you can now get flexible plastic lpg pipe instead of copper,makes it a lot easier to route the pipe to the front.

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2007, 20:32:44 »

I think it is easier to route up the right hand side

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 November 2007, 09:48:18 »

Kevin,

Can the supplier supply the cylinder type tanks?  I am not too concerned about boot space and range on LPG is more important to me as no stations near me stock LPG :(

Your idea about the LED replacement bulbs is a good one although, as you say, a series resistor will no doubt be required.

I am defiantly up for this and look forward more information.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 November 2007, 09:50:09 »

i had the largest tank you can get in the spare wheel well with an actual capacity of 41 litres(ive since fitted a 100 litre tank across the rear seats)i routed the pipe around the rear of the car behind the bumper to avoid the exhaust altogether.as a ps you can now get flexible plastic lpg pipe instead of copper,makes it a lot easier to route the pipe to the front.

I am guessing that the 100 litre tank fits behind the rear seats in the boot?  Is the 100 litre capacity the total or usable capacity?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 November 2007, 09:53:16 »

IIRC you lose a percentage I think 20% but im sure someone will confirm :y
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2007, 09:57:49 »

Thanks for the info. I was thinking across the back was probably going to be the best option for routing the pipe.

Sounds like range is going to be very limited with a toroidal tank. Cylinder tanks are also available no problem. I will find out what tanks he supplies and see if I can dig up a list of dimensions.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2007, 09:58:49 »

Yep Elite Pete is right you cant get a 100 litres in a 100 litre tank

I have a 75 litre tank and it holds roughly 60 litres it does depend on when i fill it also.

If you fill it on a really cold night you can get a little more in, But if you dont drives it far and its a warm day next day the tank will Vent some of your gas as a safety feature
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2007, 12:56:15 »

COUNT ME IN!!!!!
I want to do mine myself - no point in paying people for things you can do yourself.

Paul Fielding...
Staffs.
Yes.
Yes.
Cylinder.
Most defo!!!!

next....
Growing old disgracefully...

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2007, 13:03:42 »

I want to do mine but until I find out why it isn't running right theres no point :(
Retired

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2007, 18:36:05 »

Yup, as Kev knows, I'm definately up for gassing my car - time permitting!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.