Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG kit bulk buy & / or install party  (Read 10579 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: LPG kit bulk buy & / or install party
« Reply #60 on: 09 November 2007, 08:42:27 »

best place to start is by getting hold of an inlet manifold and get it drilled/tapped for the nozzels

Good idea.  Does anyone know:

a. the size of hole to be drilled
b. the size of thread required
c. where is best to place said holes on the manifold - near to the injectors I guess?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 09 November 2007, 09:28:56 »

a 5.1mm
b m6
c i put mine right next to the original injectors pointing to the same spot on the inlet valve( it can be done!!)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #62 on: 09 November 2007, 09:32:46 »

I think my main concern is getting the system running properly before something gets damaged.

You have to try hard to damageThis is Ok to determine the mixture at idle but they probably end up with no idea what's happening at wide open throttle and high revs as this requires a rolling road an engine. As long as you get the mixture right under light load / idling conditions before you start giving it large it will be fine.

Most LPG installers probably don't do much more than run the self-adjustment procedure on the SGI system. and / or a wideband Lambda sensor. The dangerous scenario is that the SGI system can't deliver enough gas and the mixture goes lean just when it needs to be quite rich to prevent knock and keep temperatures under control.

If we want to get really involved I have a wideband Lambda sensor which I would rig up to plug into an Omega. It will take some doing (just accessing the sensor is not that easy on a V6) but I'm sure we can do just as good a job setting it up as a "professional" would. In any case, we need to get the systems commissioned / certified so we could entrust the setting-up to whoever does that.

Kevin

Once they have got the mixture at idle correct......most places (i know my local installer does) will take the car for a spin with laptop sitting on passenger seat so they can see whats happening over different throttle positions. Something you could consider doing  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #63 on: 09 November 2007, 09:36:49 »

Looking at this, I'd be interested in doing my 2.2. Travel not a problem but I really wouldn't know where to start with the install. I can understand that it may be impractical to do several cars in a day so what would be the options? And, where would the facilities be available to do the work?

Perhaps this would be a job better suited to the summer when there is plenty of light?

Dont forget there is a slight power loss.....A 2.2 on lpg towing a caravan might struggle a bit......altho I guess you could switch to petrol if it was too much of a problem, and just use the lpg for cruising or when caravanless.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 09 November 2007, 09:51:29 »

Once they have got the mixture at idle correct......most places (i know my local installer does) will take the car for a spin with laptop sitting on passenger seat so they can see whats happening over different throttle positions. Something you could consider doing  

True, but you haven't got anything to measure the mixture. A narrow band lambda sensor will tell you if you're rich or lean of a stoichiometric mixture (14.7:1 on petrol) but you want a richer mixture than this at full load (around 12.8-13:1 on petrol). All they can do is watch the Lambda sensor output and make sure it indicates "rich" on hard acceleration.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 09 November 2007, 09:56:12 »

a 5.1mm
b m6
c i put mine right next to the original injectors pointing to the same spot on the inlet valve( it can be done!!)

Thanks for that - if I get the time I may pop along to the scrap yard this weekend and see if I can get a manifold to practise with if nothing else!

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 09 November 2007, 11:46:56 »

best place to start is by getting hold of an inlet manifold and get it drilled/tapped for the nozzels

Good idea.  Does anyone know:

a. the size of hole to be drilled
b. the size of thread required
c. where is best to place said holes on the manifold - near to the injectors I guess?

Here is a photo from Gas Car Co showing inlet manifold. They have converted several Omegas, and have a good selection of pics

http://www.gascarco.com/gallery/album38/aaq

Ken

I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 09 November 2007, 12:43:56 »

a 5.1mm
b m6

Thanks for that - if I get the time I may pop along to the scrap yard this weekend and see if I can get a manifold to practise with if nothing else!

Strictly speaking, the drill should be a 5.0mm for an M6x1 thread.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2007, 12:44:26 by Paulus »
Growing old disgracefully...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #68 on: 09 November 2007, 23:12:55 »

Once they have got the mixture at idle correct......most places (i know my local installer does) will take the car for a spin with laptop sitting on passenger seat so they can see whats happening over different throttle positions. Something you could consider doing  

True, but you haven't got anything to measure the mixture. A narrow band lambda sensor will tell you if you're rich or lean of a stoichiometric mixture (14.7:1 on petrol) but you want a richer mixture than this at full load (around 12.8-13:1 on petrol). All they can do is watch the Lambda sensor output and make sure it indicates "rich" on hard acceleration.

Kevin

Sorry, dont know what they look at......just seen the laptop showing various graphs.... :-/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 13 November 2007, 12:09:27 »

I have just spoken to a bloke called Andrew who supplies and fits LPG kits for a living and he says he could supply and fit a 4 pot with the same kit as the one listed on here for £1000, thats with a 2 year guarantee and certification, the 6 pots would be £1100. He is based in Cardiff and says his team do one a day but might be able to do two and he says he would train someone to use the set up kit.
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 13 November 2007, 12:33:00 »

That is interesting. Makes it look like it's hardly worth the bother of fitting it yourself. Once you've bought the kit and paid for someone to certify it....  :-/

But then the main attraction of doing it myself is that I know it's been done well. I'm not happy to let people hack holes in the bodyshell, etc. because I know they will scrimp on rustproofing them. Had it before when I've had towbars fitted.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 13 November 2007, 12:39:04 »

Hi did suggest having one done (ie mine) at £1150 and if everyone was happy have the rest done :y

I know what you are saying but buying the kit and certification would cost almost £800 then theres the fitting a good couple of weekends, skinned knuckles ect all to save £300. I like the idea of the two year guarantee and I intend to stand and watch the fitting :y
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 13 November 2007, 12:46:59 »

It's very tempting. Much as I would like to do the job myself, in some ways, looking at it like like that it doesn't make a lot of sense.  :-/

Kevin

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 13 November 2007, 12:56:33 »

I've just had a look at the auction and would agree with Kevin that in many ways it does not make sense to DIY.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.