Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 154mph . . . . . got off lightly  (Read 7397 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
154mph . . . . . got off lightly
« on: 02 August 2016, 14:41:07 »

A 21 year old nicked for doing 154 mph, not even on a motorway, gets 56 day ban and a fine. I've read about drivers getting jailed for less than this. I'm no goody two shoes, but he got off very very lightly. Not good  >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-36953439
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: 154mph . . . . . got off lightly
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2016, 14:46:05 »

A 21 year old nicked for doing 154 mph, not even on a motorway, gets 56 day ban and a fine. I've read about drivers getting jailed for less than this. I'm no goody two shoes, but he got off very very lightly. Not good  >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-36953439
That stretch of the A11 does lend itself to some decent speed, especially in the early hours :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2016, 15:26:46 »

It was on the limiter then.  :D
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2016, 15:28:25 »

That magistrate wants looking into. I think the CPS are allowed to appeal the sentence, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2016, 15:31:31 »

When I was 21 I owned a 1972 Triumph 1500. It wouldn't do 154 MPH.

Triumph claimed 87 MPH. But mine would run to the end of the 100 MPH speedo.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2016, 15:35:39 »

On 2 Star nicked from the neighbours 1100!  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2016, 15:38:04 »

I had an Austin 1100, I prayed someone would nick the whole car, not just the petrol.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2016, 15:47:11 »

That stretch of the A11 does lend itself to some decent speed, especially in the early hours :-X

.. until you come up behind a tractor towing a trailer of sugar beet. ::)

He deserved a short stay with big Winston for that IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2016, 15:47:46 »

I had an Austin 1100, I prayed someone would nick the whole car, not just the petrol.

The main thing I remember is the gearbox whine as he drove away.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2016, 16:02:41 »

So legal precedent can now appear? So at £4.35 per mph exceeded....

get caught doing 36 in a 30 (take off the 10% rule) and you're at a fine of £13.05!!! Also, a driving ban of just over half a day....Brilliant, thanks Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court, appreciated! Good to know we can now all break the limit, confident we will suffer an equal penalty.

Because fining us any more than, for example the half a day ban and just over a tenner example above, would be dispropotionate punishment against the minor speed infringers on the roads....and that would be unjust:y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2016, 16:05:10 »

He probably spent a few quid on a decent solicitor.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2016, 17:24:49 »

Had one of them too, noisy old bugger but a dawdle to work on
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2016, 19:47:46 »

That magistrate wants looking into. I think the CPS are allowed to appeal the sentence, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Why! Next you'll be organising the local speed watch, so you can stand about in a hi-biz vest, and look important.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2016, 19:57:30 »

Why! Next you'll be organising the local speed watch, so you can stand about in a hi-biz vest, and look important.
I haven't got a hi-biz vest......have you?  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2016, 19:58:22 »

Will include one with the Focus ;)

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2016, 20:02:33 »

Will include one with the Focus ;)
Ok...thanks. Ermmm....what, exactly, is a hi-biz vest? One worn by busybodies? Yes.....that must be it.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2016, 20:03:57 »

Oh, and joking apart, I don't think we'd be making light of the sentence if he'd wiped a family out.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2016, 20:17:59 »

He did get off lightly didn't he, even the fine wasn't massive.  :-\

I clicked on a link farther down and see a guy got done for doing 192mph. Can't use the old 'I didn't realise I'd crept up that far officer' on that one can you.  ::)
In fairness, they didn't catch him, he filmed himself.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2016, 20:27:36 »

I clicked on a link farther down and see a guy got done for doing 192mph. Can't use the old 'I didn't realise I'd crept up that far officer' on that one can you.  ::)
You've got a powerful beemer, so I'm guessing you've....erm.......put your foot down now and again. Try to imagine what that speed feels like and how quickly an obstacle could appear in front of you.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2016, 20:42:44 »

You've got a powerful beemer, so I'm guessing you've....erm.......put your foot down now and again. Try to imagine what that speed feels like and how quickly an obstacle could appear in front of you.

Curves become corners, you drive with the utmost of concentration, you never do it with other vehicles about, but you are still powerless if something does go wrong at that speed......... I would imagine.  ;)
My biggest fear, regardless of my care and observation, is animals running across my path. Things are not always in your control, even if we like to think they are. This is why I drive sedately now.  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2016, 21:03:54 »

Yes, the stretch of road does lend itself to exceeding the limit. But his speed was excessive, especially for a 21 year old so relatively inexperienced driver. Plus animals are frequently found on the road.

Deserved more of a punishment but, as has been said, he probably had a good lawyer ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2016, 21:09:51 »

So legal precedent can now appear? So at £4.35 per mph exceeded....

get caught doing 36 in a 30 (take off the 10% rule) and you're at a fine of £13.05!!! Also, a driving ban of just over half a day....Brilliant, thanks Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court, appreciated! Good to know we can now all break the limit, confident we will suffer an equal penalty.

Because fining us any more than, for example the half a day ban and just over a tenner example above, would be dispropotionate punishment against the minor speed infringers on the roads....and that would be unjust:y

Verdicts and sentences in a magistrates court do not set precedent. Needs to be High court (or higher) for that, which is two levels up the legal chain.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2016, 21:12:00 »

Yes, the stretch of road does lend itself to exceeding the limit. But his speed was excessive, especially for a 21 year old so relatively inexperienced driver. Plus animals are frequently found on the road.

Deserved more of a punishment but, as has been said, he probably had a good lawyer ::)
Carer for disabled mother, probably sole provider too... and lets face it, Lakenheath is the arse end of nowhere.

Of course, none of that is a justification, but the first two might just have got the sympathy vote :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2016, 21:18:08 »

Curves become corners, you drive with the utmost of concentration, you never do it with other vehicles about, but you are still powerless if something does go wrong at that speed......... I would imagine.  ;)
My biggest fear, regardless of my care and observation, is animals running across my path. Things are not always in your control, even if we like to think they are. This is why I drive sedately now.  :y

I murdered a squirrel the other day. He was away and in the clear before changing direction......SPLATTTT.

On a bike (one with an engine) it could have been nasty.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2016, 21:22:45 »

I murdered a squirrel the other day. He was away and in the clear before changing direction......SPLATTTT.

On a bike (one with an engine) it could have been nasty.
Yeah, I can see that... you might have needed to remove the cowling to clean the fur off it...

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2016, 21:28:16 »

I can't find anywhere what the actual charge was, but if it was simple "speeding" and "not on a motorway", then AIUI the maximum sentence in a magistrates court is £1000 fine and 56 days disqualification. The fine can/will be discounted depending on the offenders earnings. So it's entirely possible he got the maximum penalty allowed for this offence.

Jail isn't an option unless a more serious offence (such as dangerous driving) is proven.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2016, 22:03:21 »

I see on the news report that the police are not very happy with the lenient sentence handed down.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2016, 22:22:26 »

Lewis Hamilton was 21, and driving an f1 car!, you are assuming he was inexperienced, and those jumping up and down have never broke the limit, O I forgot, some call it making progress, certain ex-taxi drivers, I love hypocrites'.
and the offence, use to be excessive speed it covered everything over 125mph, and also use to have inconsiderate driving thrown in as well.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2016, 22:24:03 »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2016, 22:33:40 »

I have never driven at 154 mph. I have driven at 140 mph on a German Auotobhan and it is terrifying. You need total concentration. If anything whatsoever unexpected happens, you're in trouble. The problem is that testosterone takes over, and of course at that age you are the worlds best driver, aren't you ? And modern cars cocoon you in a false sense of security, what can possibly go wrong ? But a slow moving vehicle, someone crossing the road, a car overtaking coming towards you, and it all goes very wrong at that speed. And people die. Ah but you can handle it. No, you can't.

How many here have seen people that have been involved in a RTA ? There are some, I know, and I have. Smashed heads. Total dismemberment. Guts on show. Lower jaws pushed to eye level. Of course it will never happen to me . . . There are no excuses.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 August 2016, 22:37:17 »

If it was 2.30am and only himself to injure on the road then the next years £4000 insurance premium having had any sort of ban along with the indignity of re-taking a test is probably adequate.  There may be other circumstances but none of us were actually there to see them.  There's worse things to get upset about frankly.  Like 4yr (out in 20months) death by dangerous sentences for instance. 

I'm glad I never got busted doing 3 figure speeds down the empty M62 in my cosworth scorpio back in 2004. 
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 August 2016, 23:00:06 »

I have never driven at 154 mph. I have driven at 140 mph on a German Auotobhan and it is terrifying......

It's amazing how many people have been on an autobahn when speed is mentioned.  ;) :y

Just an observation and in no way aimed at the poster or anyone in particular.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 August 2016, 23:08:09 »

I have driven at 140 mph on a German Auotobhan and it is terrifying. You need total concentration....

I agree on the total concentration ( though I've 'only' done an indicated 135) but wouldn't say it's terrifying ..... surely depends on what car you're in. 100mph plus in an Omega is a piece of cake, you could sit there at that speed all day with no problem at all, whereas 85mph in my Smart Fortwo is err ..... un-nerving!  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 August 2016, 23:25:01 »

Driving at speed requires respect, not fear... you're absolutely correct about the concentration though...

Driving at 20 mph is approximately 5% focus and 95% everything else... much over a ton and this is reversed, making the smallest distractions potentially deadly.

One of the biggest issues nowadays, is that as cars become 'safer', we become insulated from the traffic around us, so even at motorway speeds we pay less and less attention to our surroundings, so concentration levels are gradually dropping away.

That said, Vmax on a suitable road for a reasonable distance should be on everyones bucket list 8)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2016, 23:26:42 »

If it was 2.30am and only himself to injure on the road then the next years £4000 insurance premium having had any sort of ban along with the indignity of re-taking a test is probably adequate.  There may be other circumstances but none of us were actually there to see them.  There's worse things to get upset about frankly.  Like 4yr (out in 20months) death by dangerous sentences for instance. 

I'm glad I never got busted doing 3 figure speeds down the empty M62 in my cosworth scorpio back in 2004.
There are far worse ways of travelling at 145mph...

In a SEAT Leon for example...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2016, 23:44:58 »

That said, Vmax on a suitable road for a reasonable distance should be on everyones bucket list 8)

Which the A11 isn't. Not by a very long way. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 August 2016, 23:51:54 »

There are far worse ways of travelling at 145mph...

In a SEAT Leon for example...

True. Very true.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 August 2016, 23:59:34 »

Haverhill to Newmarket, and Newmarket to Red Lodge could be alot worse... likewise the dual carriageway from Thetford to the A47 :-X

But being by not being a 3/4 lane Autobahn with hgv lane restrictions, no it's far from ideal ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 03 August 2016, 11:35:36 »

Speaking of how fast things happen at 150mph .. how about 150mph on the entry to Eau Rouge? https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/modern/2016/8/video-spa-24-bmw-helmetcam/

I do not have balls big enough  :o :o (about 30 seconds in to the video for the impatient)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 August 2016, 13:10:34 »

Doing shift work means that I travel home at silly'o'clock in the morning. I can travel down a bypass for several miles without seeing anyone, not a single vehicle. I have both the opportunity and the vehicle to clear way more than the OP's link without hurting anyone other than myself (and my grieving family if it goes pear shaped) but an experience a while back put paid to that. I was travelling at a sensible speed when three Deers ambled across the bypass in front of me. They were the size of a large Moose and in no rush to get out of the way. I was able to stop but things would have been much different if I'd been travelling at over 160mph.  ::)
Imagine a Moose hurtling through the windscreen at that speed.  ;D  I'm certainly no Saint myself and as said, modern vehicles can do in excess of these speeds with ease. The scenery moves faster than your eyes can absorb and if it all goes wrong it's going to be messy. There'll be plenty on here that have hit those sort of speeds and got away with it  ;) but just remember, one day the Moose could be waiting.  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 August 2016, 13:14:54 »

I think all cars should be electronically limited to 70 MPH.

That would stop all you hooligans. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 August 2016, 14:31:06 »

I had a real moose pull out in front of me in Canada.. driving a Chrylser Voyager at about 80 MPH. That tested the ABS a bit, and I came quite close to voiding myself in my attire, I can tell you. :o

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 August 2016, 15:23:07 »

About 30 years ago, my uncle hit a number of wild boar that were crossing the motorway at about 3AM. The police who interviewed him afterwards suggested that the reverse slope of his E28 525 prevented them from being thrown through the windscreen, and that he might want to drive a little slower in his next BMW! The condition of the boar was reported as tasty ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 August 2016, 17:56:23 »

Haverhill to Newmarket, and Newmarket to Red Lodge could be alot worse... likewise the dual carriageway from Thetford to the A47 :-X

But being by not being a 3/4 lane Autobahn with hgv lane restrictions, no it's far from ideal ;)
Not stretches I would be going mental on, due to a fair number of agricultural vehicles (often unlit at night as well) and "fen people"
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 August 2016, 18:28:54 »

Getting confuddled with the A140 perhaps :-\

Or maybe I have been lucky... used to travel to Norwich and beyond most weeks ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03 August 2016, 18:55:21 »

Getting confuddled with the A140 perhaps :-\

Or maybe I have been lucky... used to travel to Norwich and beyond most weeks ;)
Nope, thinking of A11 dual carriageway portions....   ...an area I know well.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 August 2016, 19:15:27 »

I had a real moose pull out in front of me in Canada.. driving a Chrylser Voyager at about 80 MPH. That tested the ABS a bit, and I came quite close to voiding myself in my attire, I can tell you. :o

A real moose. As opposed to a munter touting for business on a street in a questionable area, kev?  :-\ ;D

In all seriousness though if a moose stepped in front of me at 80 I'd actually shit myself. They're bloody huge!!!!!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 August 2016, 19:21:14 »

A friend of mine lost an argument with a fully grown deer when he was on his Yamaha a few years ago.

When he got out of hospital, he mounted the antlers on his (trashed) helmet ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 August 2016, 19:29:53 »

The last time that we travelled down the A11 on route to Great Yarmouth I drove flat out for the entire time that we were on it.  ::)
In fact, we were mostly flat out for the entire journey, until we reached Vauxhall Holiday Park. It wouldn't have mattered if Plod were following me as we'd done nothing wrong. We were in a fully loaded, roof rack and all, mini 850 and it was only just capable of breaking 'A' road limits let alone motorway speeds.  ;D
Has it changed much since 1982?   :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 August 2016, 19:43:03 »

A real moose. As opposed to a munter touting for business on a street in a questionable area, kev?  :-\ ;D

In all seriousness though if a moose stepped in front of me at 80 I'd actually shit myself. They're bloody huge!!!!!

Travel down the A40 at night near Shotover Park Webby and you'll see three Moose's crossing the road.  ;D  Bloody great big things they are, these overgrown reindeers.  ::)  No respect for the green cross code either.  ::)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 03 August 2016, 21:48:33 »

Not stretches I would be going mental on, due to a fair number of agricultural vehicles (often unlit at night as well) and "fen people"
Indeed :-\ :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 August 2016, 23:11:49 »

Mmm 154 Mph was it sutained for long  :-\ I doubt it.
Sustained High speed isn`t enjoyable, it verges on the insane  :D
Quick sprints, combined with even quicker changes up thru the box on either 4 wheels or 2  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 04 August 2016, 00:33:07 »

Unless you're driving a dragster, it takes a fair while to reach such speeds in a car so it'll always be a few miles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.