Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Laguna 1.8 estate 01-07 50,000miles  (Read 4236 times)

Tonka.

• Omega Knight
  • Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    • 2000 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
Laguna 1.8 estate 01-07 50,000miles
« on: 06 March 2013, 17:28:02 »

Does anyone have any experience of these?

If so, could you give me some feedback. Please keep it constructive, not just good/bad buy/avoid or derisory.

What should we look for apart the obvious?

Thanks in advance folks  :y :y

The happiest people don't have the best of everything,
they just make the best of everything they have.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Laguna 1.8 estate 01-07 50,000miles
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2013, 18:46:51 »

Electrical gremlins. Especially anything to do with the tyre pressure warning systems. 1.8 is gutless. Laguna is a big heavy car to move. As you've not going for the diesel then you won't have to worry about the injectors or turbos which went wrong lots. Gearbox gets noisy. Just don't seem to age well. My brother had one from new and the amount of bits it had changed under warranty was alarming.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2013, 18:48:33 »

Gotcha Sean!  :y

Are you still after my V6 cam locking kit? I PM'd you but no answer  :-[

I have some exerience of the Laguna - not great and relating to the cardless entry - mind you that was on a 55 reg - I think they changed the model when they went to the facelifted versions.

Let me know ........

Rob

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2013, 18:50:54 »

It's French  ??? ...... that should be enough to not buy one  :y :y

Sorry! I know you said to keep it constructive ........ I just couldn't help myself.  ::) ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2013, 18:54:00 »

1.8 will struggle to accelerate an estate..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/laguna-ii-2001/?section=good

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/laguna-ii-2001/?section=bad

ps: ide engines are direct injection and installing lpg is a real headache..
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 18:55:38 by cem »

Tonka.

• Omega Knight
  • Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    • 2000 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2013, 19:08:14 »

Thanks folks!!

Have been reading the reviews. Good God Alive!!
It would be hard to come across a car with less problems.
The Mk I seems bearable as does the Mk III but the Mk II all seem to have been made on a Friday ;D

I think I would describe the Laguna as a booby trap waiting to happen. :-\

My motive in looking is that we have a new dog, a Rottie, and I thought it may use less fuel.  ;D
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 19:20:30 by Tonka. »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2013, 19:16:28 »

laguna mk1 with n7q (volvo) engines was a better car..  I like them.. but they are old cars now.. :-\

Tonka.

• Omega Knight
  • Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    • 2000 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2013, 19:22:36 »

Obviously, people only comment on their cars when they go wrong....a lot.
We need a web site for happy satisfied owners. All Laguna II made can't be bad.....can they  :-\

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2013, 19:45:55 »

Obviously, people only comment on their cars when they go wrong....a lot.
We need a web site for happy satisfied owners. All Laguna II made can't be bad.....can they  :-\

one very close friend had a 2003 auto 2.0 .. no problems apart from wear tear items..  depends on the owner imo..

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2013, 20:34:02 »

My wife has a 2004 1.9 dci (diesel) Initiale with 165k miles so it has all the toys which is good and bad. We did have a 1996 mk1 which was great right up to 206k when it caught fire. Electrical fault. We have had this one since 2008. It's OK but nowhere near as reliable or comfortable as my mig. The 6 speed gearbox blew up about 6 months ago. AC failed yonks ago, heated seats short the battery if they are switched on, tyre air pressure sensors are way too sensitive whihc casues loads of irritation because of the way is tells you by half filling the satnav screen, alloy wheels are made of cheese, sunroof is jammed closed because the roof insulation is curling off which is also causing headlining to sag, cd player has packed up, radio is picking up interference when the heated rear window is switched on, it's noisey and it doesn't handle well at all.

18k oil change intervals sounded wrong to me so I change it at 9k.

It still runs OK and returns average 37mpg around town and 46mpg on a run but it is starting to use a little oil now.

There is a Renault website where you can post your questions for them never to be answered. The car might look OK but it's not a loved car at all. I have vowed never to buy another Renault after the expereince we had with this one.

scottambrose

« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2013, 20:59:28 »

I had an 03reg 1.8 dynamique and loved it good on fuel and went ok and came well spec'd too. They do have common problems and the diesel units are expensive to fixbut what car doesnt have a list of common faults

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2013, 21:23:49 »

My wife has a 2004 1.9 dci (diesel) Initiale with 165k miles so it has all the toys which is good and bad. We did have a 1996 mk1 which was great right up to 206k when it caught fire. Electrical fault. We have had this one since 2008. It's OK but nowhere near as reliable or comfortable as my mig. The 6 speed gearbox blew up about 6 months ago. AC failed yonks ago, heated seats short the battery if they are switched on, tyre air pressure sensors are way too sensitive whihc casues loads of irritation because of the way is tells you by half filling the satnav screen, alloy wheels are made of cheese, sunroof is jammed closed because the roof insulation is curling off which is also causing headlining to sag, cd player has packed up, radio is picking up interference when the heated rear window is switched on, it's noisey and it doesn't handle well at all.

18k oil change intervals sounded wrong to me so I change it at 9k.

It still runs OK and returns average 37mpg around town and 46mpg on a run but it is starting to use a little oil now.

There is a Renault website where you can post your questions for them never to be answered. The car might look OK but it's not a loved car at all. I have vowed never to buy another Renault after the expereince we had with this one.

::)  I spend loads of money on my mig.. if I think like that I must never buy another vauxhall or opel with this logic..

renault cars have a factory here in Bursa.. dont know if any difference, but renault cars produced here are well respected and expensive ..

we had many of them in family and never seen those problems mentioned.. :-\

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2013, 21:18:20 »

gearboxes tend to eat layshafts at about 80,000  plus the cats need a good blow out every so often outherwise they block up a run up the motorway once amonth cures this
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2013, 21:22:04 »

Car Mechanics have been running an project Laguna 1.9 dCi Sport Tourer for a while now, might be worth a look if you are interested in one.  They are normally a bit wary of French cars but they appear to warmed to this one.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2013, 21:30:18 »

I just sold a 1.9 dynamique estate last week. Hateful thing it was, but then again I'd say that about any French car.

They're not that big - the size of an Astra or so.

For "just transport", it'll get you around, but it has no appeal. Relatively nimble and economical.

look for suspension issues mainly, including wishbones and rear axle bushes, although they suffer too from gearbox issues. I'm assuming that its a petrol which is definitely good as the diesels explode regularly. I have a mate at a dealer if you want a chat.

you've been robbed if you pay more than £250 for it - I got my 52-plate car for a hundred which I feel is about right for a 52-plate car.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2013, 21:32:55 by 2woody »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.