Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe that debris she idiotted did break it...  (Read 5669 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Maybe that debris she idiotted did break it...
« on: 12 November 2023, 10:27:32 »

She got back a couple of weeks back saying she had hit some fallen debris quite hard during that storm, but we couldn't see any damage, and the car drove and braked as it should.  So forgot about it.

A few days ago it started making a loud banging noise when going to full lock.

So over to Gixer's in it, as with my neighbours in, I cant jack up the NS on mine, and he had a Veccy-C that needed some Tech2 love, and a new key programming to his car.

Obviously nothing could start until the ever lovely Mrs Gixer had sorted out some bacon, eggs, sausages and beanz, so the light was starting to go before we checked out the noise on Mrs TB's car.  Turned to full lock when stationary, and a loud bang from NSF.

Wheelarch liner is smashed in miltiple places, and dropped enough to just catch the thicker end of the boot over the end of the rack.

No sure whether to try to fibreglass it, or just bend over the dealer's bench for a £150 rogering.  Its partly bodged for now, but doubt it will last.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe that debris she idiotted did break it...
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2023, 12:10:49 »

https://www.autoreservejaguar.com/xe-2015-2020-wheel-arch-liner-front-right.html

Any good?  ???  :-\
Thanks Tig.  Other side, which they do have :y.  However, its almost £100 when the VAT is on, which given that its second hand and can't see its condition that well, and that I bet I can negotiate the genuine one down to £125ish, I'd probably spend the bit extra.

The fact that 2nd hand prices seem ridiculously high, wonder if its common for them to break?
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2023, 12:24:01 »

cable-tie stitching?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2023, 16:17:56 »

cable-tie stitching?

I was contemplating bodging it with a plastic plate and small nuts and bolts, but your idea looks easier.  I still need some plastic plates, as there are a number of chunks missing.  Hence contemplating cleaning it up, roughing up the surface a bit, and trying some fibreglass - but not sure that will work.

I should have taken a piccy when I had the wheel off.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2023, 18:40:05 »

This reminds me. A bit of the undertray just behind the wheel arch liner on mine has got mangled, so need to fix that some time.

It appears to be made out of recycled cardboard, so not surprised it didn't fare well spending 6 years under a car. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2023, 23:33:45 »

No sure whether to try to fibreglass it, or just bend over the dealer's bench for a £150 rogering.  Its partly bodged for now, but doubt it will last.

I can tell you from direct experience, don't bother.

I did it one of the times when my ex wife fu€ked up the arch liners on her picanto (driving it up kerbs, silly cow). It lasted a while but either cracked or came away from the surface of the plastic, depending on how well it was attached. Also, I recon it would crack if you ever had to take the liner out for some reason.

I cable tied as a temporary bodge after that, until the useless dealer could deliver me new liners (admittedly only £35 + postage on the picanto).

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2023, 01:58:11 »

I did it one of the times when my ex wife fu€ked up the arch liners on her picanto (driving it up kerbs, silly cow). It lasted a while but either cracked or came away from the surface of the plastic, depending on how well it was attached. Also, I recon it would crack if you ever had to take the liner out for some reason.

I cable tied as a temporary bodge after that, until the useless dealer could deliver me new liners (admittedly only £35 + postage on the picanto).

I was thinking that fiberglass wouldn't have enough flexiblity.  :-\

I'd go and buy a big tub of chocolate ice cream (other flavours are available) and when you've put the ice cream away you can cut up the polythene box to use as patches stitched in place with cable ties as Nick advised.  :y

You may need more than one tub of ice cream..... Hey ho!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2023, 09:10:24 »

Plastic welding? Seen it done on Wheeler Dealers

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2023, 09:27:56 »

I was thinking that fiberglass wouldn't have enough flexiblity.  :-\

I'd go and buy a big tub of chocolate ice cream (other flavours are available) and when you've put the ice cream away you can cut up the polythene box to use as patches stitched in place with cable ties as Nick advised.  :y

You may need more than one tub of ice cream..... Hey ho!  :D
As anyone who has seen my XJ with the bumper off can atest to, my favourite is plastic chinky takeaway containers stuck with Sikaflex ;D

In my heart of hearts, I think its too far gone...
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2023, 12:01:16 »

By the time you've messed around trying to patch the old one back together, you may as well throw a new one on.

Might also be worth getting new fitting hardware for it given your propensity to break things ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2023, 13:19:25 »

By the time you've messed around trying to patch the old one back together, you may as well throw a new one on.

Might also be worth getting new fitting hardware for it given your propensity to break things ;)
Just waiting for a reply from some of the localish breakers.  Just in case. But looks like many of them have already sold the liners....

Fixings will be replaced with stainless where possible.  Can't find stainless chimney nuts, so having to use zinc plated ones.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2023, 14:09:21 »

Just waiting for a reply from some of the localish breakers.  Just in case. But looks like many of them have already sold the liners....

Fixings will be replaced with stainless where possible. Can't find stainless chimney nuts, so having to use zinc plated ones.

So you don't expect it to come apart again? ???

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2023, 14:18:54 »

Fixings will be replaced with stainless where possible. Can't find stainless chimney nuts, so having to use zinc plated ones.

So you don't expect it to come apart again? ???
I dont have issues, though the threads are (proper) copaslipped.  Certainly easier to undo a couple of years later than what the manufacturer fits.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2023, 15:13:48 »

Fixings will be replaced with stainless where possible.  Can't find stainless chimney nuts, so having to use zinc plated ones.
What size are you after, as a saw some on your favourite shopping site? They were M6 if that helps.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.