Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver awareness course.  (Read 6048 times)

STEMO

Driver awareness course.
« on: 26 March 2016, 14:50:20 »

Did it this morning. People who'd been on it before told me it was actually quite interesting.....they lied. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Driver awareness course.
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2016, 15:42:58 »

My mum said they did nice coffee, and as long as she smiled at the right time, they didn't pay too much attention to her.

I did ask her if she broke the limit on the way home. "Maybe".
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2016, 15:46:40 »

My mum said they did nice coffee, and as long as she smiled at the right time, they didn't pay too much attention to her.

I did ask her if she broke the limit on the way home. "Maybe".
I tried to explain that it is almost impossible to drive without breaking the speed limit. The nice lady went off-script for a very short time but quickly realised she wasn't really intelligent enough to stay there.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2016, 18:35:50 »

The course I went on was taken by two advanced diving inductors, one of which was quite funny so it made it more enjoyable.
It just goes to show it's not the course, it's the people who take it that makes the difference  :y

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2016, 18:37:07 »

The course I went on was taken by two advanced diving inductors, one of which was quite funny so it made it more enjoyable.
It just goes to show it's not the course, it's the people who take it that makes the difference  :y
Well...it would be interesting with diving inductors..wouldn't it?  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2016, 18:41:46 »

Sorry...advanced diving inductors.  ;D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2016, 02:55:37 »

How does opps off sound   ;D

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2016, 17:04:27 »

Maybe a video of the aftermath of a fatal road accident involving say, a child would be more interesting ?

They could show the efforts of the ambulance crews, the mother screaming her dead child's name, the police officer acting as continuity, watching the tiny broken body placed in the mortuary fridge, the heartbroken parents explaining why the wee bother or sister isn't coming home again, the headmaster telling school friends at a special assembly, the funeral, the heartbreak, the complete and utter heartbreak. All because the driver couldn't stop in time because of excess speed.

Yes, I've seen all that and maybe if speeding drivers sampled it once, just once, they wouldn't regard their actions as acceptable.

Do I stick to speed limits ? Yes, yes I do. I get all kind of abuse for it but having completed 30 years of taking abuse, it means nothing to me.

For those of you of have never witnessed and dealt with above heartbreak, you have no idea. No idea.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2016, 20:08:51 »

Maybe a video of the aftermath of a fatal road accident involving say, a child would be more interesting ?

They could show the efforts of the ambulance crews, the mother screaming her dead child's name, the police officer acting as continuity, watching the tiny broken body placed in the mortuary fridge, the heartbroken parents explaining why the wee bother or sister isn't coming home again, the headmaster telling school friends at a special assembly, the funeral, the heartbreak, the complete and utter heartbreak. All because the driver couldn't stop in time because of excess speed.       

Yes, I've seen all that and maybe if speeding drivers sampled it once, just once, they wouldn't regard their actions as acceptable.       

Totally agree, I spent 10 years in the London Ambulance Service & can recall umpteen tragic events linked to excess speed ,unfortunately a lot of  folk think it can never happen to them, nothing annoys me more than to see drivers texting & talking on their mobiles why  can't people just concentrate on their driving.

Do I stick to speed limits ? Yes, yes I do. I get all kind of abuse for it but having completed 30 years of taking abuse, it means nothing to me.

For those of you of have never witnessed and dealt with above heartbreak, you have no idea. No idea.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 20:10:45 by Tilbo »

ted_one

« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2016, 21:04:52 »

I'm with Paddy and Tilbo on this one, as I was also in the LAS for 20 years and I can say that if you haven't witnessed/ dealt with the really serious stuff and seen the effects of a high speed impact on a human being, then you don't want to go there.My cousin was killed instantly when a artic jackknifed at speed and mounted the pavement crushing him in his baby buggy,my aunt was unscathed, and although now in her seventies she still keeps his small Wellington boots under the kitchen sink where they were on the day of the accident.It wrecked her life from that point on and things were made worse as the truck driver got off a death by dangerous driving charge through lack of witness evidence.I was 17 at the time and had never seen a dead body, and although part of his face and head were deliberately covered due to his injuries I stood watching my uncle tucking his 3year old sons  favourite teddy and a small piece of his favourite blanket into that small white coffin,man that really did my head in for months after.
As to speeding,you take your chances and face the consequences if it goes tits up,but if you watch series like Traffic cops then of course there's enough nobheads out there to complicate your life in a heartbeat through their own selfishness.So yes perhaps the shock treatment might work as a trip into the mortuary when they are doing post mortems should help do the trick,because there's something very sobering to see what goes on in a place like that.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2016, 21:14:22 »

It's a pity all the idiots who slow down on the other side of the road don't get given a guided tour - "That's right come a bit closer, but mind those crunchy bits on the ground, that's what is left of his head", or "Open that door, and all the blood in the door pocket will drip out over your shoes" sort of thing.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2016, 21:16:59 »

I attended a speed awareness course a couple of year ago, due to travelling across tower bridge at 26 mph, not the biggest crime i will admit but i was in the wrong and took the punishment.
Now the speed course told me nothing i did not already know, but it made me realise the damage that can be caused by speeding. it made me realise that the 2 ton box of metal i am driving is a killing machine in the wrong place at the wrong time and only needs a split second for all carnage to happen.
It made me change the way i drive and made me relax a bit and to give more time behind other vehicles and to reduce the speed i drive at in different places.
Now dont get me wrong i still get a move on but only when the road conditions allow and it is on the motorway. Even then i am always aware that conditions can change in a heart beat,
Anyone who says that they did not learn some thing or take on board that they are in the wrong somehow are morons who will never take resposibility for their actions
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

ted_one

« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2016, 21:35:21 »

I've recently put cameras (to late) in all my cars after some tosser in a BMW reversed at speed into the front  of SWMBO's car,she has been found completely at fault although she was stationary and sounding the horn,the other driver changed his story by saying that she drove into the back of him.This one's going to the insurance Ombudsman without doubt,but it goes to illustrate how people can't take responsibility for their actions and are quick to try and wriggle of the hook.On the upside I've got some blinding footage of one of the most dangerous undertakes I ever seen on our local 2 lane motorway,I estimated his speed north of 130 mph and of course it was a *** driver,now all I've got to do is work out how to download it on to here ::)
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 21:36:54 by nitro »

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2016, 22:20:04 »

This is all a bit much, I only did 36 in a 30.  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2016, 22:28:09 »

Stopping distance at 36=100'! Which also surprised me when at 30 it is 45'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.