Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: scuttle leak into spark plug wells/bores, water and oil: further advice please  (Read 9107 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Do you park on a slope?

Also, the rubber against the windscreen not fitting correctly will see most of the water drain under the scuttle...

This trim sits in a frame that SLOTS onto the bottom edge of the screen. This frame can come away from the screen and fill with detritus. It can only be removed/refitted properly by removing the scuttle... If the screen is correctly located there isn't space to remove the frame without damage and once that happens it will never fit properly.

Johnny dog is technically correct that the scuttle clips can carefully be removed with the seal in situ, but he knows his cars intimately. What the 5+ previous owners and shite garages have or haven't done to yours is anyone's guess but there's no reason to get any significant water on the top of the engine unless you always park it facing down hill. Besides, the seal between scuttle and bonnet should prevent any water from accessing over the top of the scuttle which is the only way you could possibly catch water on top of the engine  :-X
« Last Edit: 12 January 2020, 19:08:20 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

cheers Johnny Dog - however none of that actually rings a bell ref the removal/refit of the scuttle panel but it has been a while since i last took that off and i have done other cars that are differently secured since then, hence my confusion now.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, i cannot get the rubber trim at the edge of the plastic scuttle panel to sit tight against the windscreen. I went to see another omega today today and that was even worse. So, are your instructions meant to deal with getting the rubber seal to sit correctly?

Don't forget that over the years if the lower rubber seal has been misaligned, to get it to fit snugly against the bottom of the screen maybe be difficult or possibly impossible to do as rubbers can be awkward to sit or position correctly after years of being out of shape.
I'm not certain whether they are still available from Vauxhall, but for the cost, I may be tempted to replace it with new. Then at least it should sit correctly in the retainer and hopefully 'hug' the lower edge of the screen to reduce any water ingress.
There has been previous discussion on here whether the top edge of the lower rubber should be sealed again the glass with the flexible windscreen sealer - my opinion is that if it doesn't cure it with a new seal, then it shouldn't theoretically do any harm. Not everyone agrees, but not everyone has a leak that is seemingly difficult to cure.
In my 2.6, the scuttle has been off a few times for various reasons but the foam is always dry as a bone, and it has no silicone in the recommended area under the scuttle and it is still on it's original plugs and coil packs with no indication of a misfire through water ingress (67k) yet I have a 3.2 on which the foam is continuously damp (not soaking wet), but on the majority of Omegas I've owned, there is always a degree dampness on the rear passenger side of the engine if not used for a few days, but if used regularly the heat of the engine drys what bit of dampness there is.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

rds

• View Profile

Hello Johnny
apologies for the late reply, no internet from talktalk AGAIN.

The problem with the seal is that the circumference of the curve of the rubber seems to be different from that of the screen hence the difficulty in getting a good seal and this is compounded as you say with the rubber taking a "set" to a different shape after a time of misalignment. The thing has never sat correctly after the pollen filter was first changed - another daft bit of design. I have also the same problem on another vehicle (a secondary bead or sealant under the lip oof the seal made no difference at all) and having viewed a possible replacement omega the other day, noted that one was even worse.

Not sure if the seal are available: just called making dealer for an airfilter - none in stock and special order  and GM coolant - only single litres available!! Will try Autovaux. Apart from that, I will clean back, re-fit and hope.

Cheers

RDS

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

Without reading through all your previous posts - has it had a replacement screen at any time?
If it has, then it's likely to be an aftermarket such as Pilkington. The only issue that may not help the seating of the lower seal is that, if it has had a new screen, it may not have been positioned correctly in the aperture - too much sealant can cause the screen to sit proud, and too little may cause it to sit low (not the vertical positioning). If the latter is the case, then the lower seal will not sit correctly and be raised at its highest side where it should be a snug fit against the glass, leaving a small gap between the seal and the glass. If the opposite is the case ie the glass sits higher, the possible gap would be between the scuttle and the rubber which isn't as much of an issue.
The glass fitter has to be a bit of a plonker to fit it incorrectly though as I have described. If a new screen has been fitted , a good clue always to the quality of fitment of a replacement windscreen is how the rubber sits at both top corners.
The above a bit of a long shot perhaps, but my first port of call would be get a new lower rubber.
You mention about the seal having never seated properly after the pollen filter change - are we talking about the same seal? The pollen filter change requires you lift the front of the scuttle to bonnet seal on the nearside before lifting the access flap but this seal is just a push on fit. The lower seal I am referring to is the seal at the bottom of the screen to the scuttle that hides the scuttle trim clips.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

The frames and rubbers should have been fitted to the screen BEFORE fitting to the car.

rds

• View Profile

Without reading through all your previous posts - has it had a replacement screen at any time?...... The lower seal I am referring to is the seal at the bottom of the screen to the scuttle that hides the scuttle trim clips.

It's the original screen thankfully.

Yes I am referring to the flexible curved seal at the bottom of the screen as well.

Apologies, I must have confused myself between the Omega and another car that I had to remove the scuttle to replace the pollen filter (with the same poor re-fitting result), but in any case the Omega's seal has been removed during my attention to the power sounder issue a few years back. Autovaux do not think they can help with the parts in this area. Do you know the part number by any chance?

cheers

RDS

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It is highly unlikely that a new seal will sit correctly in the old frame.

For one thing the profile of the clip edge could well be different and also, exposed to UV light, the plastic of the frame is likely to be brittle.

Which is partly why I said that to do the job properly, the screen needs to come out. Bodging the power sounder removal by pulling the seal is likely to prove an expensive mistake.  :'(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

The lower rubber moulding (seal) is 9175100.
I personally have never had a problem inserting this moulding when everything is in place; the retainer (which can be brittle as DG says through age) needs to be treated gently, and be perfectly clean from any silt or dirt, as does the tongue on the seal / moulding. A little bit of lube assists its replacement, pressing down gently above the tongue as you press it home.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

The lower rubber moulding (seal) is 9175100.
I personally have never had a problem inserting this moulding when everything is in place; the retainer (which can be brittle as DG says through age) needs to be treated gently, and be perfectly clean from any silt or dirt, as does the tongue on the seal / moulding. A little bit of lube assists its replacement, pressing down gently above the tongue as you press it home.
Taking care not to push the frame down off the screen.
;)

rds

• View Profile

Great thank you johnny - will give it a go hopefully at weekend.....after replacing the heater bypass valve....again

RDS
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.