Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to Australia?  (Read 994 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Moving to Australia?
« on: 14 January 2014, 13:24:26 »

As heartbroken as it does make me, my youngest boy has royally got moving to Australia well and truly set in his head, although looking at the requirements to get a Visa he doesn't have much chance anyway. Has anyone had any experience of anyone going out there, and what actually is required to the point that I can understand?  ;D. Reading on Google is just confusing us all here. As much as I'd hate him to go, I don't want to be the reason he doesn't.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Australia?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2014, 13:27:13 »

There is a points calculator somewhere online, which adds up your grades (School + Uni ect) and your experience and jobs which totals to an amount of points. You need a certain amount to get a visa, some jobs are worth more, like builders, doctors ect which I think they need.

Few years ago there was a big drive, but no so more now I think  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2014, 14:13:53 »

Bits of their economy are starting to slow, along with ever increasing living costs... visas notwithstanding, so work might be hard to come by :-\

Check the Aussie immigration site, most countries have a student/young person visa which allows limited working for a fixed period. If he decides he likes it there he can look for a permanent job and apply for a long term visa. The official immigration website is the only one you should be looking at. There are alot if companies that will promise this and that, all for a fee and with absolutely no guarantees... so tread carefully :y

Why does he want to go?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2014, 14:13:57 »

If he's under 30 he can go for a year on a visitors visa, allows him to work and play :) Once he's done the year and/or reaches 30 he comes under their quota system based on points. He can also be "sponsored" by an existing business which, simply put, increases his points. Sounds simple but is anything but, and has many pitfalls.

My son went out 4 years ago and "thought" he had complied with all requirements, was "sponsored" by his employers, and was quite legal, especially as he was paying Aussie Income tax , and even got a nice tax rebate at the end of year two.

Unfortunately however, the company "sponsoring" him went broke, no problem he quickly got another job (paying even better) and simply continued. A further year down the line and it transpired that the original "sponsoring" company had lied to him - they had done sweet FA - although they had taken his "contribution" to the costs of sponsorship.

So, legally, he had both stayed past his visa limit, and was working illegally. He was, potentially, up for imprisonment followed by deportation. Luckily he was able to prove that he had been told one thing whilst another was actually done, and argued that he could not be working "illegally" as he was paying Aussie Income Tax.

Based on those facts Aussie Immigration (which is a law unto itself) have relented, but only slightly. They issued him with a permit to stay and a permit to work, but he, sort of, cannot leave Australia, even to visit UK, as if he does he is not allowed back in for 3 years !!

Given those experiences, my advice would be to contact the Aussie Embassy and check, then double check, what is required, and any implications.... internet advice may well be totally wrong, and lead to problems later.

Having said all that... the boy loves it out there, we visited 3 years ago and, although the cost of living is very high (£8 a pint for "beer" that is undrinkable), wages were very good giving a high living standard. Things are going downhill a tad, economically, so perhaps the best times have passed.

It is certainly a fantastic country, with all sorts of places to visit, and very friendly people, but you do need money ... the poor are VERY poor, with very little social security it seems.

HTH

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2014, 14:49:35 »

I spent a year there on the 1 year working holiday visa that Entwood mentioned in 1996-7 and had a fantastic time.  I traveled all over always found work when I needed it and generally worked and played hard!!  :y :y :y

Towards the end of my year I was living and working in Sydney and I think that the company I was working for would have sponsored me if I'd asked.  I didn't and left on the day my visa expired and to be honest have never looked back.  :)

As Entwood says the years visa is a good way to 'suck it and see' and they are often easier to obtain at Australian Embassies other than London as there is a massive demand for them here and it can take ages.  I got mine over the counter at the Aussie embassy in Hong Kong.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2014, 16:51:54 »

Some of our neighbours tried to go , it was going well until their sponsors pulled the plug on them, they ended up going to New Zealand first as that was easier to get into, after living there for a while it was easier for them to get into Australia via the back door so to speak .

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2014, 17:44:12 »

Tell him to say he's Irish Del , half the youth of this country are down there ..... ;D

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2014, 21:02:17 »

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/points-test.htm
This may help.
I believe you need a 'wanted' skill/profession to stand a chance and also have enough money to pay your way home plus  a sponsor.
best wishes
Simon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.