Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: speeding fine  (Read 6040 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: speeding fine
« Reply #30 on: 31 March 2008, 09:39:16 »

i didnt see any cameras anywhere so i sped up to stop this magpie landing on my boot, hence the 35 mph   ::)

richie

Mitigation - do not use the above excuse as mitigation!!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31 March 2008, 10:25:12 »

I got spotted by a camera van last year doing 72 in a 50. Got away with it too. Having been done before I have read up on a few things. I turned my car around and parked 150 metres in front of the offending Talivan (They terrorise motorists) and got my phone out. I took video footage of me walking towards the van then took pictures of how it was parked. He was on a zigzag yellow school bay. When I was aked what I was doing I asked him about the absence of a speed camera warning sign which should be 100 yards in front of the camera (there was none, Also none for 25 miles on that stretch of road). He didn't know the answer. He also asked me why I was taking pictures of his van. I told him he was parked illegally and I'll delete my picture if he deleted his.

Sorry fella! Have I read this correctly? If you were doing 72 past a school entrance you deserve to be banned, not just fined. So we all exceed limits marginally sometimes, but that's just irresponsible.
There is a very sound and genuine argument for cameras etc. if this sort of driving is commonplace.
No apologies for the rant!!!

M16

• Intermediate Member
  • Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 March 2008, 20:24:29 »

Sorry fella! Have I read this correctly? If you were doing 72 past a school entrance you deserve to be banned, not just fined. So we all exceed limits marginally sometimes, but that's just irresponsible.
There is a very sound and genuine argument for cameras etc. if this sort of driving is commonplace.
No apologies for the rant!!!
First things first. The road in question is a duel carrageway just outside preston (Which I know I was wrong in assuming it was a national speed limit road as it is 100 yards further up).
Second, As I said it was a Saturday evening so no risk of kids coming out.
I know speeding is "Wrong" But speed limit signs (50MPH) on that stretch of road (At the time of the incident) were obscured by a tree. A few weeks after All the road signs were changed to bigger ones and more were placed along the road. There is also a large speed camera warning sign has been placed at the start of the duel carrageway. I don't think I was the only one assuming a 70 MPH limit on that stretch.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2008, 20:25:18 by damienj3 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 March 2008, 20:30:38 »

.... the start of the duel carrageway. I don't think I was the only one assuming a 70 MPH limit on that stretch.

The Elland by pass is another example of a now 50 mph limit dual carrage way .... complete with THREE cameras. :o  :o  :o
Funny how dual carrage ways are having their limit reduced at the same time as cameras are fitted. My town's dual carrage way by-pass used to be 40 then coincidently as it was reduced to 30mph a camera was also fitted.

I don't go through Prston very often but it does appear that they're trying to use up the world's supply of yellow reflective sheet for all their cameras!  ;) They're on every corners.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2008, 20:32:54 by Andy_B »

M16

• Intermediate Member
  • Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 March 2008, 21:43:18 »

They do now. But on the A59 towards Southport there is only one and thats at the start of the suel carrageway

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2008, 21:54:15 »

just read the letter from police

requests for the oppurtunity to attend a speed awareness course as an alternative to a fixed penalty:

speed awreness courses are only offered to drivers who meet strict criteria.  please do not phone, write to us asking to go on a course-if you are eligeble for a course one will be offered to you

well one hopes for a course then

richie

robby30

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2008, 22:49:00 »

Never admit to speeding never take the points never pay the fine. In your case picture would of been taken from back of your car, if you have no major scratches distinguishing marks or anything like that on your car then couple of things you have to do, change the colour of the nuts that hold your number plate on the car even buy another number plate from fancyplates.com in say honeycomb or 3d effect which is legal, more extreme you can even put a mark on your car a scratch on bumper nothing to drastic mind, but most of all get a couple of people to say they where with you at the time of the alleged offence and simply say your car must of been cloned. Sounds far fetched but trust me it works as the evidence is on your side. Dont give in i have 0 points on my licsence and drove a subaru for a couple of years so as you can imagine got pulled and stopped every other day!!!

Thats all very well but if you and your mates get caught telling fibs to the court then you commit perjury which can and does end with you in prision,  :-/ but you would save £60  ::)

Marie

• Omega Baron
  • Linconshire but works in oxfordshire
  • i am a hands on person, i like to get stuck in !!!
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2008, 23:17:13 »

I AM SORRY FELLAS.................

BUT i dont condone speeding... >:( >:(.ok i understand everyone makes mistakes and once i can understand.

hopefully some of you will understand where i am commin from.

30mph zones are that for a reason. cos if some child was to walk or run out infront of you they are more likely to survive with a few broken bones then if you are doing 35 where you could kill them. cars are dangerous!

and prestigesec you are playin with fire!!! rether then trying to hide your mistake why not just drive SLOWER and SAFER!

i have seen meny acceidents with loss of life cos people cant control there speed. The worset one was a mother and baby in a push chair crushed against a brick wall cos the driver took the round about to fast and lost control! the baby died instantly and the mother hours later.

Just the thought of what the dad must be going through makes me think about my speed. loosin 2 of the most precous things in his life cos some bloke couldnt control his speed!

Thats my opinion and if you dont like it tough!
Now has two miggs in our house hold. Both 2.0ltr 16v lpg'd. a MFL and a FL.

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 March 2008, 23:29:29 »

Your opinion is fair Marie and in built up areas you should drive to the limit but we all know that the majority of speed cameras that are around are there not to save lives but there to make money, where i live there are a lot of schools and geuss what isnt anywhere near them? Yes you got it in one no cameras yet a couple of miles down the road on a dual carraigeway where pedestrians are not allowed to walk and there are no houses near by they drop the speed limit from 60 to 40 then to 30 all in the space of a few hundred yards and guess what is waiting for you when it hits 30?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 March 2008, 23:36:04 »

I've never understood why there isn't a speed camera outside every school.

On my commute to work there is a school on a 40mph limit and frequent bunches of flowers by the road. No 30MPH limit, no traffic calming, no camera.

1/4 of a mile up the road is a dead straight, flat, rather upmarket road that has become a main route into the town where there are very few pedestrians and kind, but where it is rumoured that a few influential people live. It's had a 30MPH limit slapped on it, they tried speed humps, then ripped them up and put in traffic calming, then ripped that up and put flashing signs up. Only accidents I ever heard of there were due to the traffic calming forcing traffic to the other side of the road. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 March 2008, 23:44:16 »

As someone who lost a brother to a lunatic who was speeding I have been watching this thread with interest.  Dont worry I am not going to give you all a sob story about how speeding is wrong, yours turely got upto 130 on the autobahn 2 weeks ago.

The whole point is about the three factors which affect driving: the car, driver and conditions.  Without sounding patronising everyone almost always over estimates their own abilities in driving, hence how people are caught out and spin off the road.  The quality of the car plays alot, a brand new bmw will stop on a 10p coin at 30 while a 30 year old metro needs 3 anchors and a parachute to even slow down.  And the road well, I could go on for days on all the different factors here, as I am sure the advanced motorists here will agree, but safe to say that 'everyone else is speeding so will I' is probably why there are so many accidents in built up areas and so few kids playing outside these days.

Only good training on driving techniques and skid plans can fully prepare you for the roads today.  Only a fool will think he no longer has anything to learn about driving.  I am of the opinion that our driving test teaches you how to read road signs and control a car.  Once you pass then you learn how to drive.

I personally NEVER go above the limit in residential areas unless by accident in which case I slow down PDQ.  If I go above the limit on open clear roads and motorways and I get caught then its a fair cop. (yes I have got 3 points for 62 in a temp 50 on the motorway)

And for those of you that know cheshire and the infamous A453 through Burland now know who I am  :y

Besides most of you have heard me on the radio too....  ::) ::)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31 March 2008, 23:49:41 »

Have been refraining from commenting but, Gaffers speaks sense....

Apart from the radio bit?  Whats that about??   :o

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31 March 2008, 23:56:21 »

If you remember the first kill your speed campain, I did one of radio commercials.

Have a look here for a flash back Gaffers junior is in the bowtie at the begining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnjeVHYQBM

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31 March 2008, 23:59:31 »

If you remember the first kill your speed campain, I did one of radio commercials.

Have a look here for a flash back Gaffers junior is in the bowtie at the begining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnjeVHYQBM
:-X   :'(

prestigesec

• Wirral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 April 2008, 00:00:47 »

There is a time and a place for everything just use common sense if your driving in a built up area slow down the last thing you want is a child on your dash board, also if your on a motorway at 3am and there is no one else on it i havnt a problem with anyone driving as fast as they want as your only gonna kill yourself if you get wrong, the chance you take. Me personally, i like to get my demons out of me racing round Oulton park makes you drive like a nun on the road after you been round. Sayin that if the motorway is quiet how many can honestly say they dont just give it a little more than normal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.