Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra J - Weird electric behaviour  (Read 4947 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Astra J - Weird electric behaviour
« on: 25 July 2022, 17:26:32 »

Been very quiet on car front and no real issues with Astra 2012 since I got it 7.5 years ago.  But on the very hot day last week instruments went haywire, codes could not be read as no communication with AA equipment. Abs and gearbox fault lights on. Taken to main dealer who having left it a few days as they were fully booked saying today car is driving normally and they can read codes and no faults showing. Battery tested,  alternator charging ok etc. They will test again tomorrow. Weird - told them to test on uphill as the problem seemed to happen when load placed on engine and transmission
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Astra J - Weird electric behaviour
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2022, 17:50:25 »

Climate change innit.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2022, 23:11:41 »

Computers , ECUs etc don't like extreme heat and throw a wobbly
Engine ECU is under the bonnet on many astras  :'(
If it's OK now after "turning it off and on again" I wouldn't spend too much time and money chasing ghosts .

though I hear we have a 2 week heatwave due mid August  :P

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2022, 08:53:27 »

Thanks Dave - it was still behaving erratically even when left over night. I got it down to dealers with AA following and several warnings showing- dealer wasn’t able to touch it for a few days and when they did no codes showing at all. If it is as you say regarding ECU and heat then I suppose they will ring me after further road test today to ask me to pick it up. Surprised others not reporting similar problems from what I can see.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2022, 09:25:44 »

Underbonnet temps easily exceed 40 degrees. The problem is most likely in the dash somewhere... But it will throw all its toys out thanks to the way Canbus works.  ;)

Are you still leaving it in the station carpark all day? Or is it otherwise left in the sun :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2022, 13:29:23 »

Been very quiet on car front and no real issues with Astra 2012 since I got it 7.5 years ago.  But on the very hot day last week instruments went haywire, codes could not be read as no communication with AA equipment. Abs and gearbox fault lights on. Taken to main dealer who having left it a few days as they were fully booked saying today car is driving normally and they can read codes and no faults showing. Battery tested,  alternator charging ok etc. They will test again tomorrow. Weird - told them to test on uphill as the problem seemed to happen when load placed on engine and transmission

Did it happen whilst stood or whilst driving?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2022, 14:39:55 »

Only time I can recall seeing anything like that situation was when an alternator was failing on one of my cars

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2022, 15:55:32 »

Going uphill  ;D
Diesel till I die

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2022, 19:22:18 »

Underbonnet temps easily exceed 40 degrees. The problem is most likely in the dash somewhere... But it will throw all its toys out thanks to the way Canbus works.  ;)

Are you still leaving it in the station carpark all day? Or is it otherwise left in the sun :-\

I retired 3 years ago so no car park issue. It was stood for a couple of hours in height of afternoon heat but nothing excessive..

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2022, 19:25:08 »

Going uphill  ;D

Yes - it has happened twice going uphill. The Eden Camberley workshop manager is taking it home to Guildford tonight - some hills to cope with.  See what tomorrow brings.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2022, 14:58:27 »

Seems Dave was right - car was ok on all hills with 20 mile road test. When I went to pick it up guy on reception said that they had quite a few customers in during the 2 hot days with weird things happening.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2022, 15:02:54 »

Seems Dave was right - car was ok on all hills with 20 mile road test. When I went to pick it up guy on reception said that they had quite a few customers in during the 2 hot days with weird things happening.
Good result, Phil  :y
Diesel till I die

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2022, 15:27:52 »

Good result, Phil  :y

Cheers Steve - I can see you have been on top form.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2022, 16:02:22 »

It won't be engine ecu, it might be instruments, but I expect you to seer this happen again at some point

Engine bay temps vary very little between hot and warm days (for the obvious reasons) for info, as the primary heat source is at a controlled temperature and much hotter than even the higest ambient temperatures

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2022, 10:18:56 »

I thought all car manufacturers do extreme climate tests on cars, and mostly use the same components on the cars, no matter what the market.

And it wasn't that hot really.  Hot for the UK, but 45C isn't unheard of in the Med, and the Astra is a fairly common car there...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.