Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AirCon regas frequency  (Read 725 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
AirCon regas frequency
« on: 26 August 2022, 09:48:24 »

I could not recall the Insignia ever having been regassed - went through bills etc - nothing. It is now 11 years old and AC working fine. Decided to have it done - they recovered 525g refrigerant but only 3g of oil. It took 600g  refrigerant and 13g oil. At 3g oil then it must have been close to leading to compressor damage. AC is running all the time which is apparently best for refrigerant efficiency. So waiting for car to stop blowing cold air as a decider  for regas may not be the best policy?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: AirCon regas frequency
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2022, 10:11:42 »

Those figures don't sound right to me. Fairly sure the Omega takes about half a bottle of oil, which is waaayyyy more than 13g. The Carlton takes 250g of oil.

And despite what people tell you, I've never believed that you can suck all, or even most of the oil out of an A/C system. Sure you'll probably need to add back more than you suck out.

The other point is that the oil is quite thick, whereas the gas is an (err) gas (at room temp and pressure). Ideally the system shouldn't leak at all, but if it does, the gas will leak out well before the oil does. I can't think of a mechanism for the oil to leak out, but the gas to remain in place.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2022, 10:37:49 »

Had the Omega regassed four years ago after fitting a new condenser. It doesnt really blow cold air at all now, although the compressor is still spinning so I presume it still has some gas in it.
Need to sort out one of those Groupon coupons and get it booked in for a regas.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2022, 11:28:10 »

I used Groupon / ATS for 3 cars in last month. Seems to be good.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2022, 11:40:55 »

Had the Subaru regassed 5 years ago when I bought it, and is still blowing icy cold there was no record of it being done previously it is a 2005 model but had only covered 27,000 miles when I purchased it . Had the Range Rover done last year again there was no record of it being done previously used it a lot this year and is brilliant.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2022, 11:43:06 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2022, 11:59:18 »

My 8 year old astra has never had a regas. It blows nice and cold, so I'm not going to worry about it, I'll wait until it actually needs doing.
That's provided the car lasts until the air con needs doing, it's coming up to 105,000 miles now.
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2022, 17:29:07 »

Bought my Vectra in the dead of winter, heater worked great but couldn't try the aircon. Went to have it regassed in early summer and was told that it needed major work as the pressure was going up and up on the test so the guy chickened out and abruptly ended the test. ;D  Said to self that it never gets too hot in the UK so thought not worth the cost. ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2022, 11:46:01 »

I used those stupid Groupon offers on the Silver Bullet.   4 in as many months.  Assumed the A/C was knackered.

A local OOFer offered to do it for me, saying ATS didn't know their arse from their elbow, in return for some Tech2 stuff on one of his Omegas.  Lasted for ages.

So, I always pay somebody who knows what they are doing now.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.