Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy price cap.  (Read 1831 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Energy price cap.
« on: 26 August 2022, 10:34:34 »

Just gone up by 80% (again) to over£3500. And is expected to take another massive hike at the start of Winter !
I have heard TV commentators for years rolling out the old cliche about people having to choose between heating and eating and never really bought into it.
Few if any in this country have genuinely had to make that choice imo.
Now though, I can see that people will have to start making that choice. Even people who do full time jobs, but dont earn a great deal of money.
People who were paying £100 per month last year will be paying £100 per week, or more, by the start of next year.
Can it really carry on like this ?
Perhaps the Govt need to decide that it is actually an emergency situation caused to a large extent by the war in Ukraine, and use even more borrowing to limit bills to affordable levels ?  :-\
If they have any kind of backbone whatsoever, the very least they should do is suspend the green levy until some normality returns to the energy market.
I saw a prediction yesterday of inflation hitting 18% early next year.
With all and sundry going out on strike at the moment, we have suddenly returned to the 1970,s.
For this to happen under a Tory Govt. with a huge majority is shameful.
Those of us old enough to remember how the chaos of the 1970,s was cured by a Tory Govt. with a huge majority can only look at this lot and despair.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Energy price cap.
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2022, 10:46:14 »

.....until some normality returns to the energy market.

I suspect this IS the new normality. What makes you think the price of gas is going to return to anything like its previous level?

The price of a barrel of oil has hovered between $50 and $150 for the past 50 years. It's currently $100 ish, which isn't that much different to before COVID. Yet the price of a gallon of petrol?

The market can adsorb short term spikes in commodity prices, but if a problem persists for more than a few weeks, the inflationary effects get baked in to the price, and no matter what you do the price won't return to its pre-problem level.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2022, 12:46:42 »

I hear....

£3549 in October.
£5387 in January 2023.
£6616 in April 2023.

:-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2022, 12:49:40 »

Just gone up by 80% (again) to over£3500. And is expected to take another massive hike at the start of Winter !
I have heard TV commentators for years rolling out the old cliche about people having to choose between heating and eating and never really bought into it.
Few if any in this country have genuinely had to make that choice imo.
Now though, I can see that people will have to start making that choice. Even people who do full time jobs, but dont earn a great deal of money.
People who were paying £100 per month last year will be paying £100 per week, or more, by the start of next year.
Can it really carry on like this ?
Perhaps the Govt need to decide that it is actually an emergency situation caused to a large extent by the war in Ukraine, and use even more borrowing to limit bills to affordable levels ?  :-\
If they have any kind of backbone whatsoever, the very least they should do is suspend the green levy until some normality returns to the energy market.
I saw a prediction yesterday of inflation hitting 18% early next year.
With all and sundry going out on strike at the moment, we have suddenly returned to the 1970,s.
For this to happen under a Tory Govt. with a huge majority is shameful.
Those of us old enough to remember how the chaos of the 1970,s was cured by a Tory Govt. with a huge majority can only look at this lot and despair.

Tory government for the last 12 years. Eighty seats to play with.

Boris is/was asleep at the wheel and in reality is more of a wishy-washy liberal.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2022, 13:11:10 »

£1277 in October last year.

So almost a 200% rise in the last 12 months. :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2022, 13:22:18 »

£1277 in October last year.

So almost a 200% rise in the last 12 months. :-\

....or is that 300%? :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2022, 13:44:10 »

Mine was £95 per month last year. Now £190 per month. With todays increase I expect around £350 per month. Next January - who knows ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2022, 13:47:24 »

Mine was £95 per month last year. Now £190 per month. With todays increase I expect around £350 per month. Next January - who knows ?  :-\

Not sustainable for literally millions of people. :-\

January 2023 you will probably be looking at £500.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2022, 14:05:04 »

I hear....

£3549 in October.
£5387 in January 2023.
£6616 in April 2023.

:-\

Got mind fixed in July for 24 months at £240 per month previously paying £115 per month, didn't really want to pay that amount so put a bit of spare cash in to the account so now paying £150 which I think is reasonable. I've checked Scottish power since & if I were to fix now it would be £406 per month but they're only offering a 12 month fixed deal, so it seems that the only way is up !
« Last Edit: 26 August 2022, 14:11:33 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2022, 18:10:40 »

Mrs V says wear more jumpers and turn the heating off. Oh and the government should take control  of the energy sector to provide at cost due to being at war. We are at war.

A much bigger concern is how this will impact on GDP and thus tax takes and viability of businesses and thus livelihoods. If families are spending these large amounts on energy they won’t be spending on luxuries or even necessities like a replacement car.

Recession anyone? 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2022, 22:27:26 »

Politicians worldwide make outrageous promises about being carbon neutral by 2030, no more fossil fuels etc etc
fuel costs go through the roof 
coincidence  ::)
The UK doesn't have the infrastructure to go green ,go electric
and won't have ,any time soon .
so the UK are going to the dogs instead

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2022, 00:38:16 »

What I didn't buy into was the Martin Lewis and other's advice not to do fixes back in autumn last year as the cap was lower than the price fixes offered by the companies. Yes I paid slightly more but the fixes out to the end of 2023 are significantly cheaper than the road we are on now. I suppose the view at the time from the pundits was that energy prices would have come down by now but there was no certainty on this even ignoring Ukraine/Russia. 
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2022, 16:31:03 »

British Gas have just let me know I will be paying £3800 a year, with the new price cap.  I suppose this is not as bad as it could have been, but still ouch!
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2022, 18:09:56 »

British Gas have just let me know I will be paying £3800 a year, with the new price cap.  I suppose this is not as bad as it could have been, but still ouch!
Now that we have the price per unit for both gas and electricity, I can work out what I'll be paying. This wasn't possible any earlier because I've been on a fix for sixteen months, during which time the price has gone up twice, and I'm still on that fix till next May.
I'll be paying around £4,500, assuming we don't switch stuff off and the Mrs stops getting baths every farts end. Manageable but, as you say, ouch!
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2022, 18:25:23 »

I'll be paying around £4,500, assuming we don't switch stuff off and the Mrs stops getting baths every farts end. Manageable but, as you say, ouch!

Depends on the level of confidence, but sometimes unavoidable, I find. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.