Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: New motor (finally)  (Read 3258 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
New motor (finally)
« on: 01 September 2022, 21:55:49 »

Well, I've finally had the new disco for a sufficient period of time to be able to make a judgement. In summary, it's an extremely nice place to sit, hugely capable, oh and chuffing enormous. I've done close to 600miles in it this week and I would struggle to think of a car I'd rather do it in.

The software in it is extremely well designed as far as I can tell, inasmuch as things like lane keep assist, adaptive cruise etc are much smoother than in any other car I've had, oh and Android Auto seems to work perfectly, a genuine first IME. Really my only concern is how long it's going to last me at 20,000 miles per year, because just now I really don't want to get rid of it for a long time to come!

The engine is a much much better match for the car than the 4 pot. While you wouldn't describe it as fast (and certainly not agile!) c300 bhp and 500ft lbs is enough to be able to overtake when needed and to make effortless progress the rest of the time. Oh and it's doing a measured 35mpg (the guessometer reckons 37.5  ::)), which is impressive given the bulk it's hauling around.

I don't really have anything to criticize it for just jow and reliability has been good so far. The only issues I've found so far are 1. The sim card in the centre console keeps springing out whenever I try and poke it in ;D. Whether the clip is broken, or I'm just being ham fisted, I don't know. I will get it sorted. 2 there is a slight noise from the drivers window when it's on the way up, maybe needs some lubricant, or maybe a worn window regulator. I'll get both sorted at some point soon, but neither are an immediate priority.  :y

Gratuitous pic of the car in it's natural habitat  ;D
https://imgur.com/a/BrUykSG

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: New motor (finally)
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2022, 22:02:23 »

Very nice Jim and I'm glad your pleased with it!   :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2022, 22:42:38 »

Looks lovely.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2022, 22:54:04 »

A lovely looking car with a great name on the bonnet 8) 8)

That will do me thinks :D :y :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2022, 07:01:02 »

Great cars love mine even though it's 15 years old, don't use it to anywhere near its capabilities though. Hope it serves you well.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2022, 07:05:53 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2022, 07:33:32 »

Great cars love mine even though it's 15 years old, don't use it to anywhere near its capabilities though. Hope it serves you well.

Other than occasionally hauling 6 people and all their stuff around I don't think I will be fully utilising the  car's  capabilities at any point either.  I did get a complementary half day off-roading at one of the JLR centres, so it will be interesting to see what these cars are really capable of.  8)

Not in my own vehicle though!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2022, 11:24:12 »

Is it the PSA/Ford soot chucker, or the Ingenium one?  I think the EU6 PSA one suffers a bit of oil dilution (most likely due to DPF regens), so it might prompt for much earlier oil servicing than expected, and not worth ignoring that.  That said, it never harms to change the oil regularly, and its probably geared up for vacuum draining, so you can change the oil and filter in 15mins start to finish, at a cost of between £25 and £35 depending on wither its STJL.2003.05 (PSA one) or STJLR.2005 (I think thats the 3l Ingenium one) spec oil...

You can try dry lube on the window, but IME, JLR are really crap at the wire based window regulators and at door locking motors (which means a complete new latch) - I've changed all four of the door latches on mine, and one of them I've done twice (as I used a cheap Chinky ebay part, that didn't last the warranty, and the usual thing with ebay, suddenly they no speaky Inglish any more).  I need to change 2 of my window regulators as well, because they keep thinking something is trapped.

Certainly looks a nice looking motor.  I've not sat in one that late myself though, but can imagine its a lovely place to be :y
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2022, 12:19:10 »

Cheers for that TB, according to the info that nice DTM chap pulled for me, the engine is coded 3.0 V6 LION D (WY) which Wikipedia tells me is the Ford PSA lump (no idea what (WY) means). So that does need to be kept on a watch.

That said I understand the raising level has to do with failed regens ??? If so I hope I won't suffer as 95% of the journeys it goes on are 65miles each way at motorway speed, so it should be able to Regen as and when it pleases. I won't use it much in town, it simply doesn't fit all that well  ;D.

On the other hand I'm of the view that 16,000 miles is too long between oil changes, this is about a 11months of use for me, so changing oil at the 6month mark is hardly a hardship or a big expense.

Given it's got a JLR warranty, I'm going to let them look at the window in the first instance. I am not looking forward to the inevitable door lock shenanigans  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2022, 12:36:50 »

Window regulator can't be any worse than the Tourag one :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2022, 12:45:19 »

Window regulator can't be any worse than the Tourag one :D

None of VW's cable regulators are any good. They are relatively easy change, and tellingly, easy to source - a bit like Punto wiper assemblies...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2022, 13:20:06 »

Great car, classy colour. :y 300BHP and 500 lb ft should make it quick enough even if it weighs the same as the Titanic.

I'm glad you've finally bought something you are happy with. I was starting to think somebody had put a hex on you. >:D

Expensive?.....not being nosey, just curious. ::) ::) ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2022, 13:24:42 »

More images would be a good idea.....especially the interior. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2022, 14:17:16 »

It was expensive, yes. Wrong side of £50k, although the low interest on the payments (3.2%) makes it not as bad as it might otherwise be. I pushed the budget far further than I initially wanted to, but having been burned by a car that on the face of it looked very good, I decided to go newer/lower mileage. Playing the 'what else you could buy for the money' game is a bit sickening at that price point, but being as I'm in it so much, it had to fit a fairly specific brief to justify the outlay.

The interior is tan, which won't be to everyones taste, but as an alternative to black (boring) and cream (can't keep it clean), I really like it. Looks good with the blue too imo.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2022, 14:21:44 »

I see they replaced the TCU after the software update failed (17th August) which is good news!  :y

As always, any questions and you know where I am

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2022, 14:24:24 »

Cheers for that TB, according to the info that nice DTM chap pulled for me, the engine is coded 3.0 V6 LION D (WY) which Wikipedia tells me is the Ford PSA lump (no idea what (WY) means). So that does need to be kept on a watch.

That said I understand the raising level has to do with failed regens ??? If so I hope I won't suffer as 95% of the journeys it goes on are 65miles each way at motorway speed, so it should be able to Regen as and when it pleases. I won't use it much in town, it simply doesn't fit all that well  ;D.

On the other hand I'm of the view that 16,000 miles is too long between oil changes, this is about a 11months of use for me, so changing oil at the 6month mark is hardly a hardship or a big expense.

Given it's got a JLR warranty, I'm going to let them look at the window in the first instance. I am not looking forward to the inevitable door lock shenanigans  ;D
I imagine window regs and latches are every bit as easy to do as that on my Jag, if when it happens.  Hardest part for both of these is lifting the window glass out, otherwise dead easy.  They are reasonably well designed for working on beyond the engine, though I keep a variety of spare trim clips here as at 12 years old, I seem to break at least 1 every time.

DTM will know better than me if yours specifically is more prone to the oil dilution.  My EU5 XJ (same engine as yours, but the 275BHP variant with no pigs piss pot) is not prone at all, but the EU6 XJ's (300bhp variant, with ad-blue) most definitely are, quite badly (like 3k oil changes - although I personally would be happy changing oil that often ;D), though I think a lot of XJ owners grumbling think that 1 good trip once a fortnight will magically fix all the short trips to the shops....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2022, 14:25:58 »

Yeah, what do I get if I subscribe her (manual) to the incontrol thingie whatsit?  I think the manuals can't be remote started or turn climate on?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2022, 14:28:13 »

Its a close coupled DPF in the D7 format so should be fine, throw in long journeys and I doubt issues will be seen at all.

I also have a D7u based vehicle now, they are very easy drives and very smooth and refined, a good chassis.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2022, 14:32:51 by Marks DTM Calib »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2022, 14:30:37 »

Yeah, what do I get if I subscribe her (manual) to the incontrol thingie whatsit?  I think the manuals can't be remote started or turn climate on?

Ping me the VIN and I will see if I can call a few favors

And no, remote engine start (RES) is not possible on Manuals (under legislation as you can do an inhibit in theory), it would do remote lock/unlock, beep and flash (to make it easier to find in a car park) journey logs etc

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2022, 15:38:40 »

It was expensive, yes. Wrong side of £50k, although the low interest on the payments (3.2%) makes it not as bad as it might otherwise be. I pushed the budget far further than I initially wanted to, but having been burned by a car that on the face of it looked very good, I decided to go newer/lower mileage. Playing the 'what else you could buy for the money' game is a bit sickening at that price point, but being as I'm in it so much, it had to fit a fairly specific brief to justify the outlay.

The interior is tan, which won't be to everyones taste, but as an alternative to black (boring) and cream (can't keep it clean), I really like it. Looks good with the blue too imo.

I'm thinking of tan (or Cognac as BMW pretentiously like to call it it for my next car) I think it has an upmarket appeal although not as practical as black.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 September 2022, 16:04:49 »

I see they replaced the TCU after the software update failed (17th August) which is good news!  :y

Thank you sir! Funnily enough the dealer didn't mention the TCU replacement, still, it's another new part so really fine by me! Do you happen to know if this version of the engine uses Adblue? I didn't see an obvious place to fill it up and no one mentioned it to me at handover. :-\

Or does the dpf being close coupled mean it's pig whizz free?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 September 2022, 16:24:55 »

If you insist  ;D

https://imgur.com/a/MtW9Bxu

Oddly, the interior is less yellow in real life but I couldn't seem to correct it just fiddling with the phone settings, so there you go.

According to the sales manager, LR don't sell many in Tan interior cars because dealers will rarely spec it for their own showrooms. So people don't get to see it. But when they get a used one in people really like it and they sell incredibly well. Way of the world I guess

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2022, 17:01:14 »

If you insist  ;D

https://imgur.com/a/MtW9Bxu

Oddly, the interior is less yellow in real life but I couldn't seem to correct it just fiddling with the phone settings, so there you go.

According to the sales manager, LR don't sell many in Tan interior cars because dealers will rarely spec it for their own showrooms. So people don't get to see it. But when they get a used one in people really like it and they sell incredibly well. Way of the world I guess

Looks an inviting and relaxing place to spend a few hours. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 September 2022, 20:05:56 »

Nice.  8)

I test drove an L322 Range Rover with that tan interior (or similar) last year and really liked it.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 September 2022, 20:44:22 »

Thank you sir! Funnily enough the dealer didn't mention the TCU replacement, still, it's another new part so really fine by me! Do you happen to know if this version of the engine uses Adblue? I didn't see an obvious place to fill it up and no one mentioned it to me at handover. :-\

Or does the dpf being close coupled mean it's pig whizz free?
If its EU6 (eg, no emissions charges if you take it to Brum or Londonium), it takes ad blue.

Not sure what age yous is, but randomly picked 2020, so look here -https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/3D/2020/T19950/36236_en_GBR/proc/G2127963

Also, on that same manual, search for DEF to find how to tell how much adblue is left

Do not store the stuff, it has short self life, and must be stored cool and dark.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 September 2022, 22:39:20 »

Thanks for this, you're right, it apparently does have DEF, I'll have to have a look what the computer has to tell me next time I get in it.

Nice.  8)

I test drove an L322 Range Rover with that tan interior (or similar) last year and really liked it.  :y

I was down in Guilford collecting some furniture a few weeks ago and the had an L405 in that was flat green (like hunter wellies) with a tan interior. Absolutely loved that, but didn't have £80k to spend  ::) ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 September 2022, 23:43:15 »

Thanks for this, you're right, it apparently does have DEF, I'll have to have a look what the computer has to tell me next time I get in it.

Nice.  8)

I was down in Guilford collecting some furniture a few weeks ago and the had an L405 in that was flat green (like hunter wellies) with a tan interior. Absolutely loved that, but didn't have £80k to spend  ::) ;D

The purchase price of the L322 was very reasonable and it was a lovely car, but looking at the trip computer scared me as it told me it was doing an average of 16 MPG!  :o

In hindsight the dealer had probably had it in stock for a while so it's only trips were when it was ragged around the local council estate on test drives.  ::)   

Moi?  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September 2022, 15:19:44 »

Nice.  8)

The purchase price of the L322 was very reasonable and it was a lovely car, but looking at the trip computer scared me as it told me it was doing an average of 16 MPG!  :o

In hindsight the dealer had probably had it in stock for a while so it's only trips were when it was ragged around the local council estate on test drives.  ::)   

Moi?  ;D
Last time I borrowed one of josywyatt's L322s, a SC 4.2 one, I put £99 in it to go to pick up a subframe from a few miles away....    ...and had to put another £99 as I wasn't going to get it back home otherwise.  I was averaging 8MPG, if the trip can be believed.

But it was fun, just don't tell Josh ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 September 2022, 17:37:07 »

I doubt he got much than 8 mpg more out of that car ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 September 2022, 14:18:28 »

Lot of money but it is a lot of motor car. :y

What year is she, Jimmy?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 September 2022, 18:31:45 »

December 2018, so only 2 years until the VED drops to £150ish  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 September 2022, 10:02:41 »

While I think about it, one for TB and other JLR product owners...

What are the options for at home diagnostics on these? The local indy I went to had some iPad type thing from Strap On, which no doubt costs a billionty pounds, plus monthly subs. Are there (m)any more palatable options?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 September 2022, 10:34:28 »

Difficult for me to comment on this one as I just plug in SDD/Pathfinder/Topix/Corvus etc as needed

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 September 2022, 10:35:59 »

Would the Autel Maxiscan Elite be upto the job :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 September 2022, 11:17:59 »

Suspect yours is Pathfinder (DTM will know), as probably too new for SDD.

In the case of SDD, its a free download from JLR, but needs a login.  I know there are ways around the login, but I think such bypasses are at best, flaky.  Suspect Pathfinder will be similar, though I've never used it.  SDD is, err, "quirky" in the way it works, and in the case of her XE, there is no direct option to clear any codes.

Away from dealer level diagnostics, iCarsoft are probably the most popular on Jaguars.  Obviously can't do everything that the dealer stuff can do, but can do a lot more than just a generic-ish OBDII as its geared towards the marque its sold for.  Probably looking around £150-£250 for a single marque model, depending on which one you go for.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 September 2022, 12:19:33 »

Suspect yours is Pathfinder (DTM will know), as probably too new for SDD.

In the case of SDD, its a free download from JLR, but needs a login.  I know there are ways around the login, but I think such bypasses are at best, flaky.  Suspect Pathfinder will be similar, though I've never used it.  SDD is, err, "quirky" in the way it works, and in the case of her XE, there is no direct option to clear any codes.

Away from dealer level diagnostics, iCarsoft are probably the most popular on Jaguars.  Obviously can't do everything that the dealer stuff can do, but can do a lot more than just a generic-ish OBDII as its geared towards the marque its sold for.  Probably looking around £150-£250 for a single marque model, depending on which one you go for.

Would be pathfinder, it might be migrating to Topix but that is questionable given the age

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 September 2022, 15:40:13 »

Ive just bought an icarsoft Porsche and its not bad at all. Nowhere near dealer level diagnostics, but doesnt cost thousands and definitely quite a lot better than a generic code reader.
Usually around £150, but I picked up a 3 month old one for £75.
Might be worth a look for a home diagnostic option.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 September 2022, 15:52:51 »

While I think about it, one for TB and other JLR product owners...

What are the options for at home diagnostics on these? The local indy I went to had some iPad type thing from Strap On, which no doubt costs a billionty pounds, plus monthly subs. Are there (m)any more palatable options?
              Strap on👀???? Jesus,  it’s getting raunchy around here of late😂
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2022, 15:32:53 »

I see you lurking, Jim, got something to tell us?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 September 2022, 01:09:35 »

Funnily enough... No  8)

Done about 1000 miles so far, still averaging mid-to-low 30's. Absolutely loving it.

I picked up a nail in a tyre (not repairable - obviously) but as it's no t gone down even 1psi in 6 days I put some sealant in it and left it. In all that time all I've found that's less than 100% is some minor wind whistle round the driver's window seal/mirror - can't tell which, and a slight rattle from the parcel shelf.

While ever I can afford to run it, I doubt I'll drive anything else.

Sorry to disappoint you old chap ;-)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 September 2022, 13:12:57 »

Funnily enough... No  8)

Done about 1000 miles so far, still averaging mid-to-low 30's. Absolutely loving it.

I picked up a nail in a tyre (not repairable - obviously) but as it's no t gone down even 1psi in 6 days I put some sealant in it and left it. In all that time all I've found that's less than 100% is some minor wind whistle round the driver's window seal/mirror - can't tell which, and a slight rattle from the parcel shelf.

Good news. It looks like you have made a wise choice. Presumably it comes with a warranty  if it all goes tits up. :y

.....but it costs nothing to cross your fingers as well. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 September 2022, 16:13:21 »

Funnily enough... No  8)

Good news. It looks like you have made a wise choice. Presumably it comes with a warranty  if it all goes tits up. :y

.....but it costs nothing to cross your fingers as well. ;)
Although it does make picking your nose a bit trickier. Apparently  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.