Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worse than I thought.  (Read 1714 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Worse than I thought.
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2022, 18:28:03 »

Well, Lloyd's have always been a bunch of shysters.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2022, 19:57:58 »

Leilani Dowding is always worth a watch!  :-*  :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6w16q8DWug
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2022, 20:28:45 »

Leilani Dowding is always worth a watch!  :-*  :y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6w16q8DWug

Brilliant video, thanks.  :y

However, it's worrying and everyone should watch and take note.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2022, 23:22:11 »

It's not just your money that they are taking control of but our thermostats as well!  :o

During a recent heatwave in Colorado, USA around 22,000 people found that they couldn't adjust their thermostats which displayed a message 'Energy Emergency', which is food for thought this winter if you have a Hive or other 'smart' wifi/internet type thermostat.  :-\

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/power-company-seizes-control-thermostats-colorado-during-heatwave

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2022, 23:23:44 »

If I, and most others on various forums, have been aware of KYC (Know your customer) and AML (Anti money laundering) regulations for years now, why haven't the really intelligent people at GB News?
Or maybe they have, but just love a shit stirring rant.

As for the earlier one about banks limiting the amount you can hold in any account, it's in the T&C's of most banks. There is no mention of freezing, as is mentioned in the title of the video, and you will never be charged if you transfer any excess out when requested to do so.

So, basically, the videos are horse shit.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2022, 23:36:22 »

Freezing people's bank accounts to control their behaviour has already happened in Canada when they did it to participants in the Truckers protest earlier in the year and they even froze the accounts of people who donated to the cause. 

Of course it couldn't possibly happen in Barnsley.  ::)

As to the GBNews vid, what's wrong with a discussion about taking money out of your account?  ???   I totally agree with them that you shouldn't have to face an interrogation if you take cash out of your bank account.  Money laundering you say?  ;D

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2022, 23:46:07 »

As for the earlier one about banks limiting the amount you can hold in any account, it's in the T&C's of most banks. There is no mention of freezing, as is mentioned in the title of the video, and you will never be charged if you transfer any excess out when requested to do so.

These are new T&Cs. Surely, you can understand that any bank thrives on having your money, it's their basic business after all. So, why would any bank suggest you might have too much money in your account? Supposing, in the future, I have £40k in my bank and they then send me a letter saying that the maximum is £30k. Do you really think they would ask me to withdraw the "excess" £10k?

No. They would either seize it or convert it into the Central Bank Digital Currency system (and the Bank of England is trialling such a system), over which the central bank would have control over your expenditure.

You may like to dismiss this all as horseshit – it's your prerogative but don't complain if it all comes true.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2022, 07:41:43 »

Freezing people's bank accounts to control their behaviour has already happened in Canada when they did it to participants in the Truckers protest earlier in the year and they even froze the accounts of people who donated to the cause. 

Of course it couldn't possibly happen in Barnsley.  ::)

As to the GBNews vid, what's wrong with a discussion about taking money out of your account?  ???   I totally agree with them that you shouldn't have to face an interrogation if you take cash out of your bank account.  Money laundering you say?  ;D
Yup, AML

https://thehedge.io/articles/can-a-bank-ask-where-you-got-your-money-in-the-uk

That bit is about identifying where you got your money from. One of the reasons they ask what you're using a withdrawal for is to make sure you're not being scammed. This is not an act of kindness, they know that they could be on the hook for it further down the line.
We all know that all of these regulations, to stop the movement of illegal money, will eventually lead to a cashless society where the government knows exactly what you're doing on a daily basis. I just hope that's a long way off. If it happens during my lifetime, I'll be shouting as loud as everyone else. But, at the moment, they'll just deny it, and say it's.......AML.
And it's pointless shouting at a bank teller, the government really do set the rules.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2022, 07:54:07 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2022, 08:08:59 »

One thing that i find very scary, much more scary than either of those videos, is the fact that once money becomes completely digitised it will be vulnerable to the very clever hackers from China and Russia. I don't subscribe to a dystopian future where you fall out with the government and wake up one morning to find you've been deleted, but I do subscribe to a dystopian future where you wake up to find that no one can log into their bank accounts. Any bank, anywhere, and that's not too hard to imagine.
Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2022, 09:14:57 »

Add crypto hackers from North Korea to that list. They are very good at it.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2022, 11:14:54 »

With all that in mind have a read of this thread.

https://twitter.com/MorganBroadcast/status/1564178676874448896

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2022, 12:10:03 »

With all that in mind have a read of this thread.

https://twitter.com/MorganBroadcast/status/1564178676874448896

I feel sorry for her. Must be an inside job, surely?

In reading all the comments in that thread, I came across this one from "Alejandro":

So sorry this is an awful thing to happen. My mum recently had her card cloned and funds frozen and it took 2 weeks before Barclays came to their senses and refunded her the stolen cash. The bank couldn’t explain how their fraud team had missed the anomaly of a lady based in Dorset suddenly pulling out thousands in cash at 3am in Barnsley.

Dorset, Barnsley. Hmm....  :D ;) ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2022, 12:19:47 »

:o   Sir Tig runs off to check his accounts!   ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2022, 13:09:26 »

The truth is that our wealth, either in cash, digital money or possessions have, and always will be, a target for the dishonest.

The difference between cash under the mattress and in the electronic bank system, is that if stolen the latter can usually be traced up to a point of it disappearing across the world.  But then, unlike cash, if the holder of that money has not been stupid and ignored the ways of properly protecting themselves during the transaction, the bank system will often agree to reimburse the lost cash because their security systems have failed to act when it is obvious a fraudulent act has happened. 

With the cash under the mattress, valuable jewellery, gold, art work, etc stored in the home, once it’s stolen it is 99% certain to be untraceable and therefore unrecoverable.  It is then you down to the mercy and small print of your insurance policies!

From a commercial point of view, it is far easier and safer to handle digital transactions rather than cash.  I remember the days when in our retail company we were handling 100’s of thousands of pounds in purely cash, which had to be kept secure at our stage in the handling process, until some security firm like Securicor collected the money for banking.  Even then, the risks of a armed robbery was high, as indeed the banks used to experience themselves.

Before the days of Securicor collection, retail managers had to travel to the bank with thousands of pounds, in cash, on them………..!, :o

So, although there are the understandable concerns about the banking systems to handle our wealth securely, on balance the digital system is superior to the previous cash only system of yesterday.  How many times do we now hear of the “police officer instruction” scams where a poor sole is duped into withdrawing large sums of CASH for a courier to collect and “make safe”?  Still it is mainly when an individual holds sums of money in cash that it is hugely at risk of it being taken and disappearing into the mist.  So in summary, I would suggest that with the digital systems our wealth is far more secure overall than ever before. ;)
« Last Edit: 03 September 2022, 13:13:14 by Lizzie Zoom »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2022, 13:57:16 »

Everything in our lives is linked to the internet. Banking, the food we buy, the bills we pay.

It isn't beyond the capability of some  Joe 90 superbrain to bring the whole thing creaking to a halt. Then what?

The 'good ol boys' shacked up in the mountains of Montana with supplies for 5 years will be laughing their tits off as they ready their hunting riffle(s) for action. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2022, 14:04:17 »

These are new T&Cs. Surely, you can understand that any bank thrives on having your money, it's their basic business after all. So, why would any bank suggest you might have too much money in your account? Supposing, in the future, I have £40k in my bank and they then send me a letter saying that the maximum is £30k. Do you really think they would ask me to withdraw the "excess" £10k?

No. They would either seize it or convert it into the Central Bank Digital Currency system (and the Bank of England is trialling such a system), over which the central bank would have control over your expenditure.

You may like to dismiss this all as horseshit – it's your prerogative but don't complain if it all comes true.

Not just control of your money but control over what you buy with it.

"I see you've already flown abroad this year Sir, so no further flights will be allowed this year due to net zero".

"I see you've already consumed meat this week Sir, no further meat allowed for a month due to net zero".

This may sound dystopian but......

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2022, 15:31:55 »

Not just control of your money but control over what you buy with it.

"I see you've already flown abroad this year Sir, so no further flights will be allowed this year due to net zero".

"I see you've already consumed meat this week Sir, no further meat allowed for a month due to net zero".

This may sound dystopian but......

I fear you may be correct.  :(

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2022, 15:33:52 »

So in summary, I would suggest that with the digital systems our wealth is far more secure overall than ever before. ;)

Our personal freedom, not so much. >:(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2022, 16:21:25 »

So in summary, I would suggest that with the digital systems our wealth is far more secure overall than ever before. ;)

So what can't you do now, that you couldn't do forty years ago? The ability to go to EU countries and be treated just like their citizens is one, but who needs that ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2022, 16:46:06 »

So what can't you do now, that you couldn't do forty years ago? The ability to go to EU countries and be treated just like their citizens is one, but who needs that ::)

I have a sneaking feeling  you may have voted remain in 2016. I could be wrong though. ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2022, 17:29:47 »

I have a sneaking feeling  you may have voted remain in 2016. I could be wrong though. ::) ::)

Even me is not getting into that can of worms! ::) ;D ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2022, 17:39:42 »

Even me is not getting into that can of worms! ::) ;D ;D ;)

I voted remain in 2016 but now believe it was a mistake. The EU is slowly falling apart. Poland wants 1.3 trillion from Germany in reparations.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2022, 17:49:40 »

All very frightening , but now I'm off to the cashpoint to withdraw a wad of cash for a good meal & a few drinks out with some friends I'll spare them the doom & gloom of this thread..😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 September 2022, 18:23:15 »

All very frightening , but now I'm off to the cashpoint to withdraw a wad of cash for a good meal & a few drinks out with some friends I'll spare them the doom & gloom of this thread..😂

That’s the way to do it! ;D ;D :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2022, 13:21:44 »

An amusing but equally depressing explanation of ESG rules in the financial world.  More social engineering!  ::)

https://youtu.be/P8SP8DTy_v8

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 September 2022, 13:30:57 »

An amusing but equally depressing explanation of ESG rules in the financial world.  More social engineering!  ::)

I think you should attend a diversity and inclusion lecture. ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 September 2022, 13:40:55 »

I have a sneaking feeling you may have voted remain in 2016. I could be wrong though. ::) ::)

You're wrong about lots of things.

That isn't one of them.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 September 2022, 13:41:49 »

That is funny ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 September 2022, 14:32:38 »

No need as I'm very diverse, as I'm about as Anglo-Saxon as it gets.  :y

Oh... and my Grandmother was from Norfolk, so there probably a bit of Viking in the mix as well!  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 September 2022, 16:28:03 »

Oh... and my Grandmother was from Norfolk, so there probably a bit of Viking in the mix as well!  :)

......so your great great  great something or other was Eric Bloodaxe then.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 September 2022, 18:44:34 »

......so your great great  great something or other was Eric Bloodaxe then.  :y

Yes and I undoubtedly have direct lineage to King Arthur and King Alfred the Great as well!  :y

I always burn my cakes!  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 September 2022, 23:02:43 »

That is funny ;D ;D ;D ;)
Funny until it affects you.

That's pretty much how my interview for Surrey Police went 3 years ago  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 September 2022, 13:01:41 »

https://youtu.be/wXE8hQh5IG8

This woke pronoun boll*ocks is everywhere. :-X

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 September 2022, 15:59:05 »

I am a white man stripped bollocky with a rose in my left hand and a sausage in the other.
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 September 2022, 17:24:43 »

I am a white man stripped bollocky with a rose in my left hand and a sausage in the other.

On the sauce early today then Rae?  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 September 2022, 17:47:22 »

It’s always open tap somewhere in the world Steve👍🤣
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.