Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New car technology .  (Read 5395 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: New car technology .
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2024, 12:12:40 »

Relying on mirrors and cameras is poor roadcraft, you still need to turn your head and move in the seat to see what's actually going on around you.

How does that work for you when driving trucks or vans?

A glance over your shoulder to confirm that the blindspot is actually empty is a good idea when the vehicle design allows for it. But if you need to move your body to operate the car, your seating position is wrong.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2024, 12:21:30 »

………….
Got to admit, in these days of larger vehicles with smaller windows, I am grateful for front and rear parking sensors. I've never driven a car with a reverse view camera, and I don't think I'd find any use for it.
As for the ones that actually park themselves, no way.

The 360 cameras are good, so are front bumper side cameras.  :y  The 360 allows you to see all around and the bumper side cameras are great for seeing out of hedge lined junctions. It’s like having a pair of eyes five feet ahead of your own eyes.  :y
Self parking is a gimmick. Mine does both bay and parallel self park, I used it once on each space and have never used it since.  ::)  To parallel park, tap the screen, slow down and indicate left for a space on the left and right for a space on the right. The car searches for a space big enough and when found it beeps. You stop, accept the space and the car does the rest hands and foot free.  :y
Sounds easy doesn’t it.  ;D  However there is a massive glitch in their thinking that the handbook forgets to tell you. The vehicle uses radars/sensors to position the vehicle so, on a parallel park, the vehicle uses the vehicle in front and behind as a guide, which means that if the vehicle in front and behind have two wheels on the kerb, you’re vehicle will end up with two wheels on the kerb ….. and kerbed alloys.  ::)  They don’t show you that on YouTube demos do they.  ;D
« Last Edit: 29 January 2024, 12:25:34 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2024, 12:29:44 »

It's not only unnecessary, it's dangerous. Even wifey's humble grandland had wondering why it was 'bonging' at me when I went to fill it up the other day. When I explained where I was and what I was doing she informed me I was probably too close to the car in front for the speed I was doing. What??
I told her I turned the heating on but could only see buttons for front and rear screen defrost, nothing to point the heat into the cabin. She said there wasn't a button for that, I had to go into the touch screen menu. What??
She asked if I remembered to turn off lane assist and stop start before I set off. I told her to fill the fickin thing up herself.

The Daily Mail's motoring correspondent wrote an article a while back saying he had just driven a new model (I forget) and it had buttons! He loved it.

Lane assist certainly is dangerous. It drags the car all over the road.

If I forget to switch it off I am soon reminded as it tries to drag the steering wheel from my hands. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2024, 15:39:33 »

Relying on mirrors and cameras is poor roadcraft, you still need to turn your head and move in the seat to see what's actually going on around you.

How does that work for you when driving trucks or vans?

A glance over your shoulder to confirm that the blindspot is actually empty is a good idea when the vehicle design allows for it. But if you need to move your body to operate the car, your seating position is wrong.
When I did my Class1/2 licences, I was taught to spend as much time focusing on what was next to/behind you as in front. Easy enough to be aware of your surroundings by observing and paying attention.

As for moving in a car seat, I don't mean clambering onto the front passenger or out of the window, but by turning your head and torso slightly, you get a decent view of the rear quarters.

New camera equipped trucks still have their blind spot mirrors, so the view out is almost as good as it ever was, especially when doubled up with proximity sensors.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 January 2024, 16:26:12 »

and after 50 years of using wing / door mirrors, altering my line of vision to look at the door panel to see what was behind wasn't as easy as it sounds. ....

I've had my ML for over 4 & a half years. It has a reverse camera but I still default to using the mirrors first .... I maybe use it for the final bit of parking etc
My daughter though uses her reverse camera by default  :-\
Got to admit, in these days of larger vehicles with smaller windows, I am grateful for front and rear parking sensors. I've never driven a car with a reverse view camera, and I don't think I'd find any use for it.
As for the ones that actually park themselves, no way.
My ML will parallel park itself ..... it's pretty clever when it does it, though I rarely use it cos by the time I've remembered  what buttons to press on the steering wheel, I could have parked it myself.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 January 2024, 17:47:41 »

My E Class had it, but I never used it. The R Class was just too old, but the reverse camera on that was dynamic.

Think the S Class might have it, but I suspect that it's part of the rear camera ECU... Which I still need coded to the Command unit. :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2024, 20:46:12 »

My E Class had it, but I never used it…………..

Don’t know what your E Class was like for parallel self parking but the BMW reverses in with one hell of a tight rake. It goes in at a steep angle and swings the front bumper in far closer to the vehicle in front than I’m happy with.  :o  That’s probably why I never use it, but in fairness it can park itself in a fairly tight space.  :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2024, 21:56:33 »

OK you guys. You may not believe this and many of you will fall over laughing, but I have a VAUXHALL OMEGA:D

It's fast, comfortable and has enough driver aids, like mirrors, switches and analogue dials, to make driving a breeze.  :y

Good car, I cherished mine and it still holds a place in my heart,  :y  although I did send the needle a fair way around the clock on many occasions.  ;) 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2024, 22:54:27 »

Don’t know what your E Class was like for parallel self parking but the BMW reverses in with one hell of a tight rake. It goes in at a steep angle and swings the front bumper in far closer to the vehicle in front than I’m happy with.  :o  That’s probably why I never use it, but in fairness it can park itself in a fairly tight space.  :)

Yeh agree with that, my 5 series does the same and it's a bit of a heart stopping moment!

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2024, 23:50:31 »

OK you guys. You may not believe this and many of you will fall over laughing, but I have a VAUXHALL OMEGA:D

It's fast, comfortable and has enough driver aids, like mirrors, switches and analogue dials, to make driving a breeze.  :y

I've still got mine too .

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2024, 08:25:03 »

My ML needs a gap of the car plus 1.3 metres ..... but as you say, it always seems very close at the front of the car  ???

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 January 2024, 10:10:57 »

It's not only unnecessary, it's dangerous. Even wifey's humble grandland had wondering why it was 'bonging' at me when I went to fill it up the other day. When I explained where I was and what I was doing she informed me I was probably too close to the car in front for the speed I was doing. What??
I told her I turned the heating on but could only see buttons for front and rear screen defrost, nothing to point the heat into the cabin. She said there wasn't a button for that, I had to go into the touch screen menu. What??
She asked if I remembered to turn off lane assist and stop start before I set off. I told her to fill the fickin thing up herself.

The Daily Mail's motoring correspondent wrote an article a while back saying he had just driven a new model (I forget) and it had buttons! He loved it.

Lane assist certainly is dangerous. It drags the car all over the road.

If I forget to switch it off I am soon reminded as it tries to drag the steering wheel from my hands. :-\

Two of my cars have lane assist (which I very rarely use anyway) - fortunately, I have to activate it myself on both for it to work which isn't a problem. However the system on newer cars seem to set by default to 'activated' mode whenever the ignition has been off, which would do my tree in.
It's like being a pilot, I guess. Going through the cockpit drill before setting off - lane assist off, engine stop / start off, auto hold on..... :D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2024, 07:28:45 »

However the system on newer cars seem to set by default to 'activated' mode whenever the ignition has been off, which would do my tree in.
It's like being a pilot, I guess. Going through the cockpit drill before setting off - lane assist off, engine stop / start off, auto hold on..... :D

You can thank some selfish arseholes in Wolsburg for that!

Since the emissions scandal, the legislation was changed such that the car has to default to the modes used during approvals at every ignition cycle. That means driving modes, any ADAS functions, safety functions etc. Just wait until you get a 24MY car which badgers you every time there is a speed limit change or you go 1mph over the speed limit.....you quickly learn how to knock that one off at every ignition cycle  :y
« Last Edit: 01 February 2024, 12:16:31 by Marks DTM Calib »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 February 2024, 09:46:56 »

Just wait until you get a 24MY car which badgers you every time there is a speed limit change or you go 1mph over the speed limit.....you quickly learn the to knock that one off at every ignition cycle  :y

hope it's set up better than than the camera in my ML that reads road speed signs ..... every now & then it comes up with the NSL sign when on a 30/40 road. I've yet to discover what it thinks it's 'seen'  :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 February 2024, 10:07:46 »

However the system on newer cars seem to set by default to 'activated' mode whenever the ignition has been off, which would do my tree in.

You can thank some selfish arseholes in Wolsburg for that!

Since the emissions scandal, the legislation was changed such that the car has to default to the modes used during approvals at every ignition cycle. That means driving modes, any ADAS functions, safety functions etc. Just wait until you get a 24MY car which badgers you every time there is a speed limit change or you go 1mph over the speed limit.....you quickly learn the to knock that one off at every ignition cycle  :y

Coded the stupid start stop malarky off mine, Only kicks in if I have it in Eco Plus mode..... Which I never do!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.