Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New car technology .  (Read 5395 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: New car technology .
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2024, 10:10:52 »

Coded the stupid start stop malarky off mine, Only kicks in if I have it in Eco Plus mode..... Which I never do!

My ML's stop/start has stopped working all by itself  :y I suspect the main battery is a little low, though it never hesitates to start up.

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2024, 12:09:52 »

An interesting read. :o

Just waiting for all the court cases attributing car crashes due to the driver looking at the screens. (like the use of mobile phones)

Thank god I still have my Omega's. They have plenty of buttons/screens for me but I am not looking forward to the future when I replace them.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2024, 12:17:37 »

Just wait until you get a 24MY car which badgers you every time there is a speed limit change or you go 1mph over the speed limit.....you quickly learn the to knock that one off at every ignition cycle  :y

hope it's set up better than than the camera in my ML that reads road speed signs ..... every now & then it comes up with the NSL sign when on a 30/40 road. I've yet to discover what it thinks it's 'seen'  :-\

Some system are a hybrid of map data and forward vision systems, it might be that a section of road once was a national and the map is overriding the vision..........plus the vision systems are far from perfect!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2024, 12:22:31 »

Just waiting for all the court cases attributing car crashes due to the driver looking at the screens. (like the use of mobile phones)

Thank god I still have my Omega's. They have plenty of buttons/screens for me but I am not looking forward to the future when I replace them.

Drivers are getting more stupid.........we get two UK breakdown calls a week where people have pulled over because they have a low screen wash fluid warning.

There was a court case recently (not against us) where a passenger had their feet on the dash and the airbags deployed in a lowish speed crash, it dislocated there hips and paralysed them as they were folded in half...........the owners manual warns of it and its a bloody stupid thing to do but, they still won.

Lets also add that if the insurance companies were allowed to discriminate, then people of a certain religious background would have higher premiums, and the hood wearing females of the same, would be higher still..........and hence why more emphasis is being put on the 'nanny' intervention of the ADAS systems

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2024, 12:24:57 »

Coded the stupid start stop malarky off mine, Only kicks in if I have it in Eco Plus mode..... Which I never do!

My ML's stop/start has stopped working all by itself  :y I suspect the main battery is a little low, though it never hesitates to start up.

Keep an eye on it, the stop start systems do not look at the cranking ability, only the state of charge, if its stopped working then the battery is probably not recovering to more than 85% SoC which is plenty to crank but, shows the battery is deteriorating and they have a habit of dropping off a cliff after this point.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 February 2024, 12:45:08 »

Just wait until you get a 24MY car which badgers you every time there is a speed limit change or you go 1mph over the speed limit.....you quickly learn the to knock that one off at every ignition cycle  :y

hope it's set up better than than the camera in my ML that reads road speed signs ..... every now & then it comes up with the NSL sign when on a 30/40 road. I've yet to discover what it thinks it's 'seen'  :-\

Some system are a hybrid of map data and forward vision systems, it might be that a section of road once was a national and the map is overriding the vision..........plus the vision systems are far from perfect!
Apparently GM are 3D mapping the US for their systems.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2024, 12:47:54 »

Looking at the screen displaying speed and vehicle info is no different to doing the same in an analogue car. The responsibility still rests with the driver to remain observant to whatever is going on around them.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2024, 12:55:38 »

Drivers are getting more stupid.........we get two UK breakdown calls a week where people have pulled over because they have a low screen wash fluid warning.

There was a court case recently (not against us) where a passenger had their feet on the dash and the airbags deployed in a lowish speed crash, it dislocated there hips and paralysed them as they were folded in half...........the owners manual warns of it and its a bloody stupid thing to do but, they still won.

Lets also add that if the insurance companies were allowed to discriminate, then people of a certain religious background would have higher premiums, and the hood wearing females of the same, would be higher still..........and hence why more emphasis is being put on the 'nanny' intervention of the ADAS systems
Much like trying to explain why toddlers and babies really shouldn't be on the floor during a flight... Very hard not to use the words splat and dead :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2024, 13:01:39 »

Keep an eye on it, the stop start systems do not look at the cranking ability, only the state of charge, if its stopped working then the battery is probably not recovering to more than 85% SoC which is plenty to crank but, shows the battery is deteriorating and they have a habit of dropping off a cliff after this point.  :y

Cheers!
I did get a quote from MB for the two batteries ..... a mere snip at £320-odd for the pair! I disconnected them from each other last summer, the rear showed 12.7V but the main was only around 12.5V

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2024, 13:03:39 »

I believe it just uses the camera .... it doesn't always do it on the same bit of road, but I remember one time it showed NSL on the dash was on a bit of road that I know has only ever been a 30  :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2024, 14:28:43 »

They do!

The Merc system monitors the battery voltage drop during cranking. If the voltage drops below (IIRC) 11.5V then it disables Stop/Start. It'll still start all the way down to less than 9V.

It's not really the state of charge that matters, but the batteries internal resistance. The resistance increases as the battery ages, so it can be fully charged (>13.7V) but still drop enough during cranking to disable the Stop Start.

Mine's been like it for over a year. Behaviour confirmed by iCarsoft scanner. New AGM Stop/Start battery would no doubt cure it, but why on earth would I want to do that! £300 to re-enable something I don't want.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2024, 15:53:47 »

Cheers!
I did get a quote from MB for the two batteries ..... a mere snip at £320-odd for the pair! I disconnected them from each other last summer, the rear showed 12.7V but the main was only around 12.5V
I replaced my dead 6 months old genuine AGM consumer battery with the biggest Bosch one that would fit. If I'd had the receipt the Merc battery would have gone back under warranty. The front starter battery is still the genuine AGM battery that was fitted with the consumer one... Together about £700 :o

Does the ML only have two? The main one and the diddy one... Or is it new enough to have three :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2024, 16:29:59 »

They do!

The Merc system monitors the battery voltage drop during cranking. If the voltage drops below (IIRC) 11.5V then it disables Stop/Start. It'll still start all the way down to less than 9V.

It's not really the state of charge that matters, but the batteries internal resistance. The resistance increases as the battery ages, so it can be fully charged (>13.7V) but still drop enough during cranking to disable the Stop Start.

Mine's been like it for over a year. Behaviour confirmed by iCarsoft scanner. New AGM Stop/Start battery would no doubt cure it, but why on earth would I want to do that! £300 to re-enable something I don't want.

If they do then they are fools! (I am confident they don't as we use the same setup!), they wouldn't meet ISO 16750-2 under those conditions

Monitoring the terminal volts under load tells you little about the battery condition as there are to many variables, temperature being the very significant one, as the chemical reaction in the battery is much poorer at low temperatures and so the VBatt drops much lower. There are also variables with connector/cable ageing, engine types and a whole host of other things.

The SoC is the critical measure for start stop, as it is the only means to tell if you have the reserve to complete repeat re-starts, its also the only viable means to determine battery health by checking the batteries ability to absorb energy  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 February 2024, 18:23:13 »

but why on earth would I want to do that! £300 to re-enable something I don't want.

;D ;D That was my line of thinking too!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 February 2024, 18:24:49 »

Does the ML only have two? The main one and the diddy one... Or is it new enough to have three :-\

Just 2 .... main under my seat & the diddy motorbike sized battery buried alongside the spare wheel well  ???
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.