Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Who says the police just sit around eating donuts?  (Read 7545 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Who says the police just sit around eating donuts?
« Reply #45 on: 27 November 2020, 12:40:51 »

His pension will be forfeited.
The man who knows, that's good enough for me.

Said that all along.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 November 2020, 17:54:09 »

On our regional news , brought disrepute to the service by stealing whilst in uniform , what a disgrace.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 November 2020, 17:54:29 »

and another one about to lose job and pension it would appear ....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-55107433

I always thought coppers were picked for having "common sense" .... seems I was wrong !

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 November 2020, 18:06:35 »

Had a few living near me a while ago. Some of the antics were a way of saying "i'm above the law". Was very embarrassing for the young coppers who had to tell them to quieten down the rowdy parties at 3 in the morning.  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 November 2020, 18:06:48 »

and another one about to lose job and pension it would appear ....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-55107433

I always thought coppers were picked for having "common sense" .... seems I was wrong !

And who said romance was dead 😂😂😂

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 November 2020, 20:11:26 »

There is no Police hedge fund or pension pot.  The monies taken today from serving cops as pension contributions get paid out to current pensioners tomorrow.

There is not one brass razzoo paid by HMG into the system.  It’s wholly self funded.

A number of factors, including the massive drop in serving cops, means it is not self sustaining and liable to bankrupt police authorities unless changed.

And so it was changed and ye olde 30 years service and retire was binned.

They now need to pay in a greater percentage for longer, to get less back! 

.......which causes more to leave, changing it from a career to a phase of employed life, and, in my opinion, a lowering of standards and reality expectations from both cops and public.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2020, 20:13:33 by hotel21 »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 November 2020, 20:26:11 »

There is no Police hedge fund or pension pot.  The monies taken today from serving cops as pension contributions get paid out to current pensioners tomorrow.

There is not one brass razzoo paid by HMG into the system.  It’s wholly self funded.

A number of factors, including the massive drop in serving cops, means it is not self sustaining and liable to bankrupt police authorities unless changed.

.......which causes more to leave, changing it from a career to a phase of employed life, and, in my opinion, a lowering of standards and reality expectations from both cops and public.

Sorry, but that's complete rubbish. There is NO police pension fund. It is not self funded. It is paid for by tax payers. Same as Teachers, Civil servants, firemen, armed forces etc.

The money paid by serving coppers is (NOW) supposed to be representative of private pension schemes, but in the real world it is no-where near comparible. For a private pension to pay out anything similar to what a public sector pension pays you would have to pay at least double what is deducted from a police-mans salary. They are gold plated, not subject to investment performance, and very very low risk.

Yes there have been changes in the past 10 years or so which means the deductions from the police salaries are now more than they used to be, but these deductions don't come anywhere close to covering the full cost to the tax payer of the pension that will be paid out in future years. But the pension that is built up is still massively better than anything you can build in the private sector.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 November 2020, 20:39:11 »

Sorry, but that's complete rubbish. There is NO police pension fund. It is not self funded. It is paid for by tax payers. Same as Teachers, Civil servants, firemen, armed forces etc.

The money paid by serving coppers is (NOW) supposed to be representative of private pension schemes, but in the real world it is no-where near comparible. For a private pension to pay out anything similar to what a public sector pension pays you would have to pay at least double what is deducted from a police-mans salary. They are gold plated, not subject to investment performance, and very very low risk.

Yes there have been changes in the past 10 years or so which means the deductions from the police salaries are now more than they used to be, but these deductions don't come anywhere close to covering the full cost to the tax payer of the pension that will be paid out in future years. But the pension that is built up is still massively better than anything you can build in the private sector.

Let’s agree to disagree....   :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2020, 20:45:19 »

Let’s agree to disagree....   :)

Ok, you go on living in your dream world. However, in the real world...

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/pensions-retirement/public-sector-pensions.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2020, 20:49:33 »

There are very few genuine careers left. Life is just a string of 'jobs'.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2020, 20:50:16 »

I think Broccie has a pretty good idea of how his pension works :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2020, 21:40:48 »

I think Broccie has a pretty good idea of how his pension works :-X
His pension will probably be pre 2016.. so a final salary scheme. Post 2016 it became a career average scheme. When wifey became a teacher in 1972, she was supposed to retire at 60, and her contribution was 6% of her salary. She now pays 11.7% of her salary and will get her full pension at 67. There are ways to retire earlier, but on a much reduced pension.
Malcolm is right about the way the scheme works for all public servants. No pot, just an IOU.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2020, 21:51:57 »

Why it is such a good pension, btw, is that while she contributes 11.7% of her salary, her employer contributes another ~13%, meaning there is a total of ~25% of her salary going into the scheme.
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2020, 22:38:45 »

Bit I imagine a guaranteed amount on retirement, and not dependent on how the investment of contributions perform ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 November 2020, 22:43:39 »

Why it is such a good pension, btw, is that while she contributes 11.7% of her salary, her employer contributes another ~13%, meaning there is a total of ~25% of her salary going into the scheme.

I'm guessing that ~13% is coming directly from the taxpayers pocket?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.