Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Infrared lights & NV  (Read 1799 times)

waspy

Infrared lights & NV
« on: 11 November 2009, 17:51:57 »

I've heard that some top end manufactures have put I R lights & Image Intensifiers on their cars which come up as a image on a screen or maybe the windscreen. I R light is un-effected by smoke & fog etc & so is a major safety factor. (So i guess when you see a high end marque fliying passed in fog he really can see more then you.)
Has anyone seen these in action & how good are they?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Infrared lights & NV
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2009, 18:23:43 »

I have heard of pilots from a certain branch of the armed forces driving at speed in the dark without their lights on.  When the copper pulled them over they were testing the new bi-ocular IR goggles.  They give good depth of field, a screen in the car would not.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2009, 19:42:49 »

I have heard of pilots from a certain branch of the armed forces driving at speed in the dark without their lights on.  When the copper pulled them over they were testing the new bi-ocular IR goggles.  They give good depth of field, a screen in the car would not.

There were reports of them testsing on the M1 at double the speed limits in 991T's years ago.

I heard that the 1st 2 night's the parked police just heard a whoooosh and darent admit anyrhing to each other  the 3rd night there was talk of a UFO but on the 4th night they were ready with a speed trap as it was happening more or less the same time every night.

Not sure if they got a ticket when they got pulled though.  ::) ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

waspy

« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2009, 20:08:08 »

I've made myself a NV monocular using an old Gen I Intensifier that i aquired years ago :-X They didn't miss it ;)
I use it for watching badgers :) The military spec ones are soo much better :) :) 8-) 8-)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2009, 20:37:38 »

I've made myself a NV monocular using an old Gen I Intensifier that i aquired years ago :-X They didn't miss it ;)
I use it for watching badgers :) The military spec ones are soo much better :) :) 8-) 8-)

All the ones I have used are pretty naff... now I am so far down the pecking order it's 'Night vision what?'

Welung666

« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2009, 21:44:39 »

Obviously their own advert but interesting nonetheless.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DMidknVCo[/media]

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2009, 22:20:54 »

So you spenf £75k on night vision and get a merc car chucked in fer nowt.   :y :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2009, 22:48:20 »

I've heard that some top end manufactures have put I R lights & Image Intensifiers on their cars which come up as a image on a screen or maybe the windscreen. I R light is un-effected by smoke & fog etc & so is a major safety factor. (So i guess when you see a high end marque fliying passed in fog he really can see more then you.)
Has anyone seen these in action & how good are they?

I was at a national (Police) conference held at the Jaguar factory about 10 or 12 years ago.  They had a working demo Jag with a head up display and NV capability back then....   8-)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2009, 22:58:37 »

That reminds me. I've forgotten to post that lens.  :-[ Please accept my appologies. I'll get it in the post.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

waspy

« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2009, 08:12:42 »

That reminds me. I've forgotten to post that lens.  :-[ Please accept my appologies. I'll get it in the post.

Kevin

For obvious reasons i wasn't going to ask, because that's unfair & seems very off IMO.

Thank you Kevin :) :) :) :) :)

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2009, 11:50:40 »

Watched Jason Plato testing this on a Merc recently, in his opinion it was just a gimmick which was distracting and offered very little in terms of extra vision at night. He said not to bother paying the extra 1200 or so that it costs as it was nowhere near worth it
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2009, 15:27:02 »

Auto Express magazine ran a feature recently where they tested a Merc fitted with an IR system and took it through Stellios Pass at night. Apparently passed the test with flying colours but I hate to think of the mess if it hadn't!! ::)
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2009, 15:58:45 »

not sure top gear loved it as said plato hated it. how much if it goes wrong???? say you are showing off to your friends and you dont have your lights on but are using the IR and it gives up the ghost ?????? cant beat good old fashion bulbs worked well for years and years and have improved over those years

waspy

« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2009, 16:20:20 »

not sure top gear loved it as said plato hated it. how much if it goes wrong???? say you are showing off to your friends and you dont have your lights on but are using the IR and it gives up the ghost ?????? cant beat good old fashion bulbs worked well for years and years and have improved over those years

Other road user can't see you either ;)

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2009, 19:24:08 »

exactly, but then again would you risk trying it out on a public road  :y

waspy

« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2009, 19:36:51 »

I wouldn't, but some silly bugger would ;)

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2009, 22:24:31 »

Surely you can't use it without the lights being on??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2009, 08:22:38 »

I have just reread my post and  :o

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that.  I am sure yours is brill, it's just the ones I used in the military were crap!  :-[ :-[ :-[

waspy

« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2009, 08:40:39 »

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that.  I am sure yours is brill, it's just the ones I used in the military were crap!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Your post wasn't taken the wrong way at all :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2009, 08:43:27 »

Your post wasn't taken the wrong way at all :)

phew!  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.