Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MPG 2.2 AUTO  (Read 2959 times)

sexydaz

MPG 2.2 AUTO
« on: 26 November 2009, 20:17:20 »

howdy what do you boys out there get to the gallon from your 2.2 autos,at the mo according to computer im only gettin sort of 19/21 which i yhink is a tad low but i am gonna service it shortly

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Re: MPG 2.2 AUTO
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2009, 20:27:26 »

Motorway cruising about 34-35mpg
Roundtown 20-28 depending what mood im in ;)

19-20 average does seem a bit low give her a good service  and turn sport button off  ;D ;D :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

sexydaz

« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2009, 20:31:37 »

ive tried drivin it like an old lady goin to church on sunday but no difference

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2009, 20:59:03 »

I gave my 2.5 auto estate a 300 mile "spirited" drive yesteday -  mainly with a/c on and got 28  :y

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2009, 21:02:02 »

how many miles on the clock and whats the service history like?

Round town they can be a bit thirsty a two ton car being run by a four pot :(

But you should get decent returns on the motorway which thankfully most of mine is, does it have cruise control installed?
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2009, 21:04:44 »

If you have a lot of stop start short journeys, waiting at lights etc with the aircon on or even just the blowers on eco, you will find 19/20 is the norm. :(
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2009, 21:16:53 »

Yep I'm finding that I am getting low 20's with my 2.2.
Only had it just 3 weeks, doing very short stop/start journeys. Longer journeys I have had 36mpg.
Had a 1.4 Astra before, that only returned 30mpg on short journeys, rather have the comfort of the Omega.

Mick

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2009, 21:39:45 »

howdy what do you boys out there get to the gallon from your 2.2 autos,at the mo according to computer im only gettin sort of 19/21 which i yhink is a tad low but i am gonna service it shortly
i get about the same as you. On a motorway run it gets into low 30's

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2009, 21:58:54 »

I've gone through the mill trying to improve the economy on my 2000 2.2 auto and have done huge works (list of 6 sides of A4  :o :-? :'(), including major service including flush/treatment/short changes, replacement cat and full exhaust, 10 new manifold studs and gasket, ATF change, coolant flush and fill, ECU/box software update, tyre pressures/tracking, brake strip and adjust etc and now believe the car is running at optimum performance for a car that is 9 years old with 100,000 miles.

I run with the climate on ECO and use cruise every possible second and now get 34-35mpg on a run, 26mpg around town unless cold.  Monthly average on mixed hot/cold, town and country 27-29mpg.

My economy had badly dropped off, which coincided with a start up rattle which was dealt with by lifter treatment and replacing the manifold gasket and all the studs-3 were broken and the leak affected economy by 6-7mpg.

I am having a love/hate relationship with the Omega-fix one thing, add two to the list.  After 85+ jobs, still got squeaking pad, warped new disc, underbody minor rattle and minor speedo area rattle to go-but working on the assumption each one of these will breed 2 more jobs each  :(

Thanks to welung666 for all the help and support  :y

Welung666

« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2009, 22:03:45 »

I've gone through the mill trying to improve the economy on my 2000 2.2 auto and have done huge works (list of 6 sides of A4  :o :-? :'(), including major service including flush/treatment/short changes, replacement cat and full exhaust, 10 new manifold studs and gasket, ATF change, coolant flush and fill, ECU/box software update, tyre pressures/tracking, brake strip and adjust etc and now believe the car is running at optimum performance for a car that is 9 years old with 100,000 miles.

I run with the climate on ECO and use cruise every possible second and now get 34-35mpg on a run, 26mpg around town unless cold.  Monthly average on mixed hot/cold, town and country 27-29mpg.

My economy had badly dropped off, which coincided with a start up rattle which was dealt with by lifter treatment and replacing the manifold gasket and all the studs-3 were broken and the leak affected economy by 6-7mpg.

I am having a love/hate relationship with the Omega-fix one thing, add two to the list.  After 85+ jobs, still got squeaking pad, warped new disc, underbody minor rattle and minor speedo area rattle to go-but working on the assumption each one of these will breed 2 more jobs each  :(

Thanks to welung666 for all the help and support  :y

No problem G ;) What we fixing this weekend? ;D ;D

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2009, 22:07:00 »

That's alot of work but very interesting to know the max. you can get out of the 2.2, espescially the improvement once the manifold studs were fixed. Did it take you long to change all 10? I am looking to have this done and would be interested to know youre experinence.

Welung666

« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2009, 22:10:18 »

That's alot of work but very interesting to know the max. you can get out of the 2.2, espescially the improvement once the manifold studs were fixed. Did it take you long to change all 10? I am looking to have this done and would be interested to know youre experinence.

Depends how many are broken, getting whole studs out isn't too bad it's the drilling in situ that's awkward. It's easier with the head off but possible to drill a pilot hole with a 90° drill and use a stud extractor to remove those. Lots of plusgas and the patience of a saint are also needed! ;) :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2009, 22:15:36 »

I got the studs done today (10 bought from VX for £8 all in) and was heartbroken that the quote was £30-60 but I was charged £164 as it took 5 hours to remove three inset broken studs and re-thread two holes, plus sort two broken heatshield studs.  Heartbroken.

welung666 had very kindly offered to do this for me, but he has helped me over the last three weekends, I need to look after my son while my wife works at weekends and the garage was opposite my office....

Anyway, on the bright side, the car is silent on start up and tickover, smooth, quick and gives better economy now.
It's a hell of an improvement, but a hell of an invoice.

Still reeling.  Bloody car will bankrupt me.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2009, 22:18:27 »

PS apparenly the garage mig-welded onto the studs to get them out.  It was done well and the difference is apparent, but £164?

STILL reeling  >:(

Welung666

« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2009, 22:19:27 »

I got the studs done today (10 bought from VX for £8 all in) and was heartbroken that the quote was £30-60 but I was charged £164 as it took 5 hours to remove three inset broken studs and re-thread two holes, plus sort two broken heatshield studs.  Heartbroken.

welung666 had very kindly offered to do this for me, but he has helped me over the last three weekends, I need to look after my son while my wife works at weekends and the garage was opposite my office....

Anyway, on the bright side, the car is silent on start up and tickover, smooth, quick and gives better economy now.
It's a hell of an improvement, but a hell of an invoice.

Still reeling.  Bloody car will bankrupt me.

Your car is a bit like Trigger's broom ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.