Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hows this?  (Read 4114 times)

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Hows this?
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2010, 21:43:15 »

The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2010, 22:04:36 »

Had no idea these were this cheap! Could be my next car, when this one goes kaputt..

Jon
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2010, 22:23:42 »

Looks in really good nick that one!

I've had mine just over a year now, and it's been a mixed bag.  The ride's better than the Omega, it's quieter, and the engine seems to deliver too but it seems to deliver the power either really, really smoothly (5-speed auto) or there's this noticeable pause where the engine builds and the gearbox seems to get ready to drop a cog, at which point it's pretty damn quick given how much it weighs.  Interiors relatively cramped compared to the miggy, and I get frustrated at the lack of rear passenger legroom (as my kids kick the back of the seats, or I can't actually get the drivers seat back to a properly comfortable position with the baby-seat behind mine).

...but, all-in-all, I'd actually like to get rid of mine soon and get another Omega.  I've been stung a couple times for suspension work, and the build quality varies from either bomb-proof or really flimsy - nothing in between.  I had two miggies, and would love another, but only an Elite :)

Window regulator is a known problem though.  Unfortunately one of the 'flimsy' bits as there's plastic guides which break quite easily.  I had a horrendous sound from my passenger window a while ago - £80 for new regulator.  As for the suspension, I think when it's good, it's really good, but I'd much rather be replacing the wishbones on the Omega!  Much quicker, easier and cheaper.

I didn't realise they did the Jag without leather!

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2010, 22:57:52 »

Looks in really good nick that one!

I've had mine just over a year now, and it's been a mixed bag.  The ride's better than the Omega, it's quieter, and the engine seems to deliver too but it seems to deliver the power either really, really smoothly (5-speed auto) or there's this noticeable pause where the engine builds and the gearbox seems to get ready to drop a cog, at which point it's pretty damn quick given how much it weighs.  Interiors relatively cramped compared to the miggy, and I get frustrated at the lack of rear passenger legroom (as my kids kick the back of the seats, or I can't actually get the drivers seat back to a properly comfortable position with the baby-seat behind mine).

...but, all-in-all, I'd actually like to get rid of mine soon and get another Omega.  I've been stung a couple times for suspension work, and the build quality varies from either bomb-proof or really flimsy - nothing in between.  I had two miggies, and would love another, but only an Elite :)

Window regulator is a known problem though.  Unfortunately one of the 'flimsy' bits as there's plastic guides which break quite easily.  I had a horrendous sound from my passenger window a while ago - £80 for new regulator.  As for the suspension, I think when it's good, it's really good, but I'd much rather be replacing the wishbones on the Omega!  Much quicker, easier and cheaper.

I didn't realise they did the Jag without leather!

Got the original options list for it here, leather deletion was specified with but heated seats were specified  >:( Will have a look at the window thing. No where near as much room as my 5 series in the back, or the front for that matter  :( But it's only bought to make a profit on so it'll be good, also isn't the front screen rather small do you find? Or it's at an odd angle. Good and quick though, was suprised how quick it was  :o No knocks from the suspension so thats good.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2010, 08:33:34 »

there was a mini-facelift half-way through S-type production, cars after this are generally accepted to be much better than those before - well at least according to bro' ( Jag test-driver )

X-type built on Mondeo platform, and universally unloved at Jaguar, mainly because they had nothing to do with it. The entire car was designed in the States, even including the Jaguar badges - even the production line was made there.

S-type is a much more advanced car, the powertrain and front/rear suspensions are now used on XF and the new XJ

But auto ....? I really can't think of a reason you'd want one of those in anything. Still, Jaguar don't seem to be listening - they don't actually make a manual car any more. (X-type excepted)

I'll stick with the XJR though - currently having a lard-removal programme
« Last Edit: 07 June 2010, 08:34:49 by 1417_stuart_grange »

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2010, 11:09:06 »

X Type made at Halewood :)
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2010, 11:13:42 »

can't go wrong for a grand! - For me though i'd have to have Supercharged XJ  :-*

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2010, 12:26:00 »

there was a mini-facelift half-way through S-type production, cars after this are generally accepted to be much better than those before - well at least according to bro' ( Jag test-driver )

X-type built on Mondeo platform, and universally unloved at Jaguar, mainly because they had nothing to do with it. The entire car was designed in the States, even including the Jaguar badges - even the production line was made there.

S-type is a much more advanced car, the powertrain and front/rear suspensions are now used on XF and the new XJ

But auto ....? I really can't think of a reason you'd want one of those in anything. Still, Jaguar don't seem to be listening - they don't actually make a manual car any more. (X-type excepted)

Is that not due though to the American market and the hope that they will sell more there? :-/ :-/

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2010, 13:38:42 »

You did well there Del 8-) - hope you get a nice profit at sale time :y :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2010, 19:49:22 »

You did well there Del 8-) - hope you get a nice profit at sale time :y :y
Thanks very much mate  :y

Sorted rattling drivers door card today and dicky door handle. The window clips are broken hence they're not going up properly and rattle around, heater only blows out hot but car gets warm fine so that'll have to get sorted. Pulled whole centre console up to sort a few bits out, still in bits inside the car at the moment though  ;D Fixed the ashtray, still got to put the TC button in properly clip broken on the switch, sort passenger door card out, put the leather in then it's ready  :y

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2010, 20:09:48 »

The heater blowing hot is another known fault of the S-Type.

Just inside the front wing of the car is a dual valve which mixes the hot/cold air to the different sidea of the car (dual climate).  The wiring to this is particularly prone to corrosion and not very well protected so tends to either come adrift at the connector or short out.  Either way the valve goes to the fail-safe position - hot.  Personally, I'd go and get the a/c system refilled at kwik-fit, take them to the terms of the 'if it doesn't get any colder it's free' deal and then get the fault fixed, because I bet they won't be bothered about trying to work out why!

Best of luck getting it all sorted!

Door cards had me very nervous as there's only two screws holding them in along with a load of serrated clips.  Easing the card away from the door makes some god awful noises :)  Is it the little white plastic clips that position the glass onto the runners inside the door?  If you get replacements for less than 80 quid I'd be really interested in where  ;)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 June 2010, 20:25:54 »

Just inside the front wing of the car is a dual valve which mixes the hot/cold air to the different sidea of the car (dual climate).  The wiring to this is particularly prone to corrosion and not very well protected so tends to either come adrift at the connector or short out.  Either way the valve goes to the fail-safe position - hot.  Personally, I'd go and get the a/c system refilled at kwik-fit, take them to the terms of the 'if it doesn't get any colder it's free' deal and then get the fault fixed, because I bet they won't be bothered about trying to work out why!

Door cards had me very nervous as there's only two screws holding them in along with a load of serrated clips.  Easing the card away from the door makes some god awful noises :)  Is it the little white plastic clips that position the glass onto the runners inside the door?  If you get replacements for less than 80 quid I'd be really interested in where  ;)

I'll try and find them clips for less than £80 mate  :y

Thanks for the info on this, I'm sure I'll be asking more stuff soon  :y Noises are a pain but they're only the clips was suprised at the lack of screws  :o
« Last Edit: 07 June 2010, 20:28:24 by LSG_1 »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 June 2010, 16:39:26 »

Hi mate, dunno if you can assist me here, just looking through all the receipts with it, one shows,

Date: 04-November-2009

Odometer: 74787
Work done: Vehicle bought in with heater not blowing hot air, replaced heater valve, refilled coolant and repaired wiring loom, replaced 10 amp fuse for A/C, replaced hose from expansion bottle to top hose union. Test drive ok.

Wiring loom repaired and heater valve replaced is what caught my eye looks like they've been done  :-?

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2010, 11:42:25 »

Is that not due though to the American market and the hope that they will sell more there? :-/ :-/

no, more likely for emissions reasons

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2010, 16:36:12 »

Would rather have an S-Type manual after hearing a lot of horror stories about the Auto, gearknob arrived today so that's another job jobbed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.