Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.  (Read 6070 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.
« Reply #30 on: 13 September 2023, 20:09:39 »

Holley have made an business out of developing bolt on and stand alone EFI systems for pretty much any application you can think of. Certainly has the potential to keep older carb fuelled cars less temperamental down the road.

But anyone who suggests that the Omega B is going to be a sought after classic any time soon will die disappointed. If you still own one, enjoy it for what it is right now, (a capable it dated executive cruiser), rather than what it might never become.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 20:15:16 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.
« Reply #31 on: 13 September 2023, 22:53:47 »

I've done a number of EFI conversions into older cars, and actually spent this afternoon stripping and modifying an MGF loom for the TR7 upgrades. But these are discrete and simple systems because they're nearly thirty years old. More modern ones that are fully integrated with each other are far more complex to work with, and really don't like somebody with a loom spread over the garden chopping out things like the airbags, ABS and air conditioning with some sidecutters. I doubt I'd consider doing the same job with a Rover 75 ::) . Then there's the parts availability - just how are you going to fix a 4l30E solenoid fault, worn gear selector switch, failed MAF or dead crank sensor when there are none available? Mechanical parts can still be cobbled together in a shed, I'd be amazed if anyone is going to bother doing that for those parts that are going to be one-offs unless they really want the car again.

Triumph's PI is a typical example of them half-arsing things, as it's barely any different from Bosch's contemporary systems. Except they provided a proper fuel pump which actually does the job. Plenty of people blame the bit they are afraid of for not being able to fix a problem. Before injection became common, carburettors got the blame for all sorts of problems that were nothing to do with them.

It seems that we are on the same page with valuations: they're for those who have managed to get an agreed value insurance policy. As a way of stitching up insurance companies whose SOP(the principle of car insurance is that you pay them a hefty chunk of cash, and they send you a piece of paper) is to do that to their customers, I'm for it. But clubs delight in telling their members how they 'got a bargain' and then offer howls of derision when the club's own valuation is suggested for a selling price.

Dramatically rising values can be detrimental for a lot of enthusiasts too. The result of a sudden large increase in value, often means would be owners can no longer afford what they were intending to buy. I see that with Capris; I'd love to replicate my 2.0Si as an everyday car, but it's probably a £10k build not the <£1000 the original one was. It simply isn't worth that to me now, even if I had the cash. That grand included buying the car, as well as all the modifications.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 22:57:02 by Nick W »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.