Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you buy an Omega?  (Read 4660 times)

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
What made you buy an Omega?
« on: 09 January 2010, 08:24:58 »

For me it's a continuation from my Carlton.
The wife bought her (troublesome) Elite some 5 years ago, and at first I wasn't it's biggest fan - kept going wrong and costing alot of money - more than it was worth in my book - but she loved driving it on a day to day basis.
We went to Cornwall a couple of years ago, on the day the rains came, and got stuck for hours at Tewksbury - usually a 5 hour trip from York to Newquay, but this trip took us 13 hours in total.
Being in the Omega was a nice place to be, and we eventually got to Newquay without the aching back and legs you get in other cars.
The price of Omegas - and what you get for your money - is much more attractive than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and I think the facelift Omega is a damn fine looking car too. Also those "premium" German cars are as dull as ditchwater inside!
I really don't think that they deserve the extra money either, as they really are not much better built than an Omega and the ride of most BMW's is akin to some race cars I've built.

So I decided that I'd have an MV6 saloon (the Elite is an estate) for myself.
I ended up buying my MV6 estate cos she didn't like having my drum kit in her car anymore.

What about you - why did you buy an Omega?
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Tim7

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
Re: What made you buy an Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2010, 09:09:28 »

I got mine as i wanted RWD and I like big 4 doors, not keen on BMW or Merk, pay to much for the badge. As you say a lot of car for the money, very tempted to get another one when this one dies which will be a first for me, never had the same car twice.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2010, 09:11:39 »

I'd always had Granadas then 9 years ago needed an estate for the dog and to pull the caravan. The only good value estates out there were Omegas. My first was an S plate 2.5GLS estate cost me a £7000 at just over 2 years old. Had it for 8 years then replaced it with an Elite estate - £1000. Another Omega because there is nothing out there that is comparable as far as I am concerned. I just wished they still made them.
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2010, 09:30:23 »

Her cheap lease cars scheme through work ended, so we had to get another car.

I had every intention of using the bike in summer, and buying a car for winters - cars I've always fancied (pocket rockets like the old Civic Type-R).

We'd booked a driving holiday to France the following summer, so went for a big cruiser to do the holiday.  Still got it over 6yrs later...
Grumpy old man

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2010, 09:32:49 »

I'd always had Granadas then 9 years ago needed an estate for the dog and to pull the caravan. The only good value estates out there were Omegas. My first was an S plate 2.5GLS estate cost me a £7000 at just over 2 years old. Had it for 8 years then replaced it with an Elite estate - £1000. Another Omega because there is nothing out there that is comparable as far as I am concerned. I just wished they still made them.

I agree although GM Australia (Holden) still do.
GM Europe should be kicking themselves, as I bet Volvo are laughing!
Latest Omega - if they'd carried on for Europe
(I guess the Omega C) would probably look like the Omega on here...........
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Sportwagon
 8-) 8-) 8-)

Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2010, 10:18:40 »

Bought our first one in 2006, an X reg 2.0 CD auto in Persia......Drove all the way down to Bude in Cornwall to view it...It won me over on the 300 mile drive home.....!!

For the price, it was the most comfortable, relaxing, capacious, smart looking car we could get......

Our move up to our current MV6 came about because it was being advertised at a very very good price and when I saw it I totally wanted it.......!!!

Love Omegas, which is strange for me cos 5 yrs ago I hated, hated, hated Vauxhalls........!!!!

:y :y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 10:19:22 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2010, 10:21:45 »

honestly speaking I like its design at first when I saw .. and still.. I prefer the curved shapes mostly ..

big,comfy and sporty (for that size)..

came home checked reviews and ideas from net and then bought it..

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2010, 10:36:13 »

Had Carltons before. Bought this Omega in 99 for lots of driving with work plus carrying the elderly relatives.

Used the Carltons and Omega to travel Europe. Great car for long distance driving although I think the boot is a bit small on the saloons.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2010, 10:47:06 »

Had Carltons before. Bought this Omega in 99 for lots of driving with work plus carrying the elderly relatives.

Used the Carltons and Omega to travel Europe. Great car for long distance driving although I think the boot is a bit small on the saloons.

Boot is a bit small.......????

You must have a different Omega saloon to me then.......!!!

2 week family trip to Poland.......fully loaded.....4 up....pushchair.....suitcases.....quilts etc etc etc

Filled up with beers and vodka too coming home......

Nothing similar for the money could have got us there so comfortably and carried so much....

:y
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 10:48:14 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2010, 10:56:29 »

Love Omegas, which is strange for me cos 5 yrs ago I hated, hated, hated Vauxhalls........!!!!

:y :y
Funnily enough, I still don't like them (Except the Monaro and Insignia VXR) but I don't see Omegas as Vauxhalls in the poor handling FWD sense. They are more substantial and solid. You get a nice thunk from the doors as you shut them. You sink into the deep leather seats, you waft around everywhere with a lot of power on tap from the V6. I'm not sure about them being particularly good looking,I think mine is quite bland.

I bought (swapped) mine because I needed to lug stuff around and I like a challenge (No engine in it when I got it)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2010, 10:57:52 »

Boot is a bit small.......????

You must have a different Omega saloon to me then.......!!!

2 week family trip to Poland.......fully loaded.....4 up....pushchair.....suitcases.....quilts etc etc etc

Filled up with beers and vodka too coming home......

Nothing similar for the money could have got us there so comfortably and carried so much....

:y

Ditto  :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2010, 11:05:18 »

My wife had one ('02 2.2) and I used them in work.

I was using a Volvo XC70 T5 which was fine apart from the manual gearbox which I simply didn't like.  In a fit of pique I sold it and did without for a while until I once again needed a car urgently.

I found my current Omega down Maidstone way on eBay.  I was in urgent need so had to settle for a 2.2 saloon when I really wanted a 3.2 estate but simply didn't have the time to look around anymore.

The 2.2 is fair enough but will always be the skinny sibling to the more substantial and properly powered 3.2.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2010, 11:43:42 »

Bought mine at a few months old in '99 as I needed a big Estate for work related equipment, previous car was a Citroen BX td, another great car, but not up to Omega for comfort, space, or long distance cruising, the latter being what most people enjoy. I would buy another if they were still made, which is why I looked at the Insignia recently. I thought that it was rubbish compared to the Omega. :y

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2010, 12:16:05 »

Had one brand new in 2000 as a company car, and after driving high mileages in smaller cars, it was an absolute joy, stopped getting a bad back, and enjoyed the toys - plenty of room for road trips on the weekend too, remember taking it to the Beach Boutique in Brighton and spending the night in it as the place was rammed - kept warm by the retained heat from the climate control :y - I then was lucky enough to  have a Holden Commodore to drive around Eastern Australia in (for work) - tens of thousands of kms, because it was so comfortable and easy, gave me a chance to enjoy the country much more, and a really chilled out drive  :y
So, when I had a chance to change my car recently, that's why I picked an Omega - okay, it's a bit harder to live with when you've got to pay for the repairs yourself, but she's a blast to drive, and nobody complains about lack of room in the back!!!
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2010, 13:51:29 »

I had a Senator which had been eaten alive by tinworm so bought the Omega hoping it would be as good.I was disappointed tbh.Although mine had almost the worst case scenario as far as service history went. Main fealer up to 70,000 and then no servicing at all until I bought it at 95,000.
If I had say £3.000 to spend on a car now my first choice would be an E38 735 with LPG or an LS400 with LPG. an Omega would probably be about 5th on the list if it was an Elite with LPG, but that is in the large part due to the knowledge and help available here to help keep one in fine fettle for not a lot of money
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.