Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterless wash/wax  (Read 1584 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Waterless wash/wax
« on: 25 January 2010, 13:47:28 »

Seen thses more on more on tv , anyone used them :question

http://go-waterless.co.uk/?gclid=CJ792KXWv58CFRth4wod8Gcxyw

Lots of difffrent brands out there but you get the point.
thanks
Steve
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
Re: Waterless wash/wax
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2010, 17:01:24 »

I've used similar-I think it's wash and shine from one of the shopping channels.
I was a sceptic but the results were superb. I had always used Autoglym-but the wash and shine is better.
It does seem a bit strange not washing the car but it wipes off all the dirt without scratching.
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2010, 17:31:14 »

I've used similar, Proshine I think they called it.

Gone back to good old bucket and sponge, then wax for me.

Yep it work ok but the wax protection didn't last long, don't think it's suppose to really.

Mick

waspy

« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2010, 17:39:41 »

My personal view is that the water & detergent gets into all the places where the salt etc lurk & washes them out, thus helping to prevent corrosion.

A good wash inside the wheel arches does them a world of good :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2010, 10:04:23 »

Not sure I like the idea of scrubbing bodywork in the absence of plenty of water.  :-/

As an aside I always use water from the water butt pumped through a jet washer to wash my car as the mains water is a bit hard and it also goes through a water meter.

Washed the car this weekend and I think something's died in my water butt. :o

Didn't smell good at all.  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

waspy

« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2010, 10:16:47 »

Not sure I like the idea of scrubbing bodywork in the absence of plenty of water.  :-/

As an aside I always use water from the water butt pumped through a jet washer to wash my car as the mains water is a bit hard and it also goes through a water meter.

Washed the car this weekend and I think something's died in my butt. :o

Kevin

;D ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2010, 10:26:54 »

Washed the car this weekend and I think something's died in my butt. :o

Kevin

;D ;D ;D

Hmm. I've suspected that in the past too. :-X

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Koomorph

• South London/Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2010, 16:50:55 »

I personally wouldn't go near any cleaning product that claims you don't need to use water.

Water, as well being the worlds greatest solute, helping to lift and hold onto the muck, also provides the main lubrication against all those tiny bits of grit and grime when wiping down/scrubbing with a sponge or cloth.

You are likely to get shocking scratches/swirls if you don't use water....  :(

Certanily wouldn't use it myself - sponge or mit and two bucket method only. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2010, 16:53:01 »

i use Turtle Wax washing fluid stuff, its brilliant, just wash as normal, and just leave, in the cold weather its excellent, just a quick wipe to get rid of any excess water, and comes up really nice.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2010, 18:01:42 »

On close up it seems to suspend the dirt, but then it's difficult to fully remove all the dirt. I prefer water.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2010, 19:19:00 »

those chemicals are a bit suspicious for me..

as I think they may cause scratches, nope they didnt.. :-? but if you use "enough" amount.. ;D

expensive..   

dj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2010, 12:21:50 »

i use mer myself as i think its great,but thats my appinon u only need to do it twise a year

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2010, 12:42:23 »

From a Phaeton forum on the subject of jet washing:

"Remember that a pure fluid does not clean anything, really. The molecules of paint don't flow with the water (fortunately). This means that what is happening is that you can consider the fluid as a huge flow of tiny microscopic marbles that deforms and flows as the marbles roll one on top of the others (this is why it is a fluid, an not a crystal, where molecules are arranged in a permanent way and cannot move one with reference to the other).

So, at a microscopic level, molecules of paint don't move (they are crystals) but the first layer of H2O molecules that are in direct contact with the static molecules of paint don't move either. There are very strong molecular bonds between two adjacent molecules, and since H2O molecules can move slightly one with reference to another, it is much easier to get the second layer of H20 molecules to move than the first layer that is in direct contact with the paint. So the second layer that is in contact with the first layer of H20 molecules moves just a bit more, but not much either. This continues, and the further away you are from the first layer, the added movement of all the layers means that molecules that are 1mm away fom the surface of the paint move nearly freely wrt the molecule paints.

This means that if you look at the horizontal speed of molecules depending on the distance they are from the paint layer, you will get what is called a positive gradient.

Distance from solid
^
|...........................................................................o.
|..............................o..............................................
|............o................................................................
|....o........................................................................
|.o............**............................................................
|o...........**** <- speck of dust..................................
+-----------**--------------------------------------------------> speed

As a result, you see that if you have a tiny speck of dust, it will barely be affected by your jet wash, since at its level, whatever pressure you will be using will not result in molecules of water moving fast next to it to remove it.

The best demonstration of this is fan blades. Did you notice that fan blades always collect very fine dust on them, even though they should be clean since they constantly move in a flow of air ?

What all this boils down to is that you don't clean anything by using a jet wash. You only remove the larger pieces of crud that are large enough to be taken away by molecules of water that are sufficiently far from the paint to move fast enough and with enough force to remove them.

After you have jet washed your car and let it dry, if you run your finger on it, you should find that a very thin layer of dust will remain. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to clean off everything with a jet of fluid since the first layer of molecules in contact with the paint doesn't move.

The only solution is mechanical action, like using a sponge. At a microscopic layer, the molecules of the sponge will effectively scrape (and mutually remove) molecules of paint. Unless particles are stuck on the paint, giving an (even gentle) sponge wipe WILL remove far more than the highest pressure jet wash you could use.

So the recommended cleaning products are... a bucket, a sponge and water. Make sure your sponge is really dripping so that when you pass it over the paint, enough lubricant (water) is present so that the dust particles that are removed by the sponge don't scratch the paint.

In order to help the process, you can add some tensio-active molecules (soap) that will bond on one side with oily molecules and on the other side with water molecules. With soap, crud will adhere to the water more than to the paint, so if you wipe the oil-soap-water away, the paint will be left clean.

So usually, I squirt some liquid soap in the bottom of the bucket (not much is needed), fill it up with water, dip my sponge in it, and while pressing on the sponge, gently pass it on the paint. You will see that you don't need many buckets to clean even a large car as a Phaeton, so you save on water.

Finally, you can rinse either with a garden pipe or by throwing some buckets of pure water on the car, starting with the roof.

Then, don't forget to dry the car with some kind of water absorbant matter (I still use doeskin). If you don't do it and if your water is a bit hard (contains dissolved limestone) drying drops will leave white marks on your paint.

The result of a gentle mechanical wipe will be much better than anything you could achieve even with a high pressure jet, which is *very* aggressive on the car as it will push water in all nooks and crannies, locally deform the surface and possibly cause damage (buttons on the door handles of keyless entry cars).

P.

Ps: Spraying your car with foam or soap will help the jet-washing process as it will get soapy water to adhere to oily molecules, so rinsing with the jet will allow to remove smaller specks of dust than if you didn't use any soap at all, but once more, this won't be as thorough a cleaning than with a mechanical action.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2010, 12:47:49 »

I should add that I only use a jet wash to remove the worst of the mud from the sills and wheel arches before washing and to rinse off the car after it's had some bucket-and-sponge work. I agree, as a sole means of washing, they are pants.

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.