Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow driving  (Read 6319 times)

waspy

Re: Snow driving
« Reply #45 on: 19 December 2009, 22:38:02 »

Has no one heard of snow chains in this country anymore ??

Debs has some, but she lives in another country :D

They're something i've never used.
I think the problem is that some roads have a snow covering & other's don't. So it's a case put on, remove & so on :(

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 December 2009, 22:41:08 »

Has no one heard of snow chains in this country anymore ??

Debs has some, but she lives in another country :D

They're something i've never used.
I think the problem is that some roads have a snow covering & other's don't. So it's a case put on, remove & so on :(

Exactly, My road still has ice on it as it's only driven on by about 15 cars at max on 15 mph quiet road but most other roads were clear at 7ish in the morning. With mainly the side streets being the ones affected  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 December 2009, 22:55:40 »

Front wheel drive is best in slippery conditions.
Beg to differ there Steve with fwd if you loose traction you also loose steering unlike rwd you still can point the motor where you want to go
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 December 2009, 22:57:12 »

They take about 2 minutes to put on .. and 30 secs to take off !!!

Last time I had to use them was just to get out off the estate ....  once on the main road it was into the bus stop, take them off and continue.

:)   I think 5 minutes is worth it ???

waspy

« Reply #49 on: 19 December 2009, 23:00:18 »

They take about 2 minutes to put on .. and 30 secs to take off !!!

Last time I had to use them was just to get out off the estate ....  once on the main road it was into the bus stop, take them off and continue.

:)   I think 5 minutes is worth it ???

Uhm i thought they'd take longer to fit/remove. Like i said, i've never used any, but that's a good time all the same :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 December 2009, 23:03:08 »

This is how you fit them .. and seriously .. it takes longer to get them out of the box than it does to actually fit them !!

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/snow-chains/fit_guide.php

waspy

« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2009, 23:06:49 »

This is how you fit them .. and seriously .. it takes longer to get them out of the box than it does to actually fit them !!

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/snow-chains/fit_guide.php

8-) 8-) I had visions of a tangled mess & having to lay them out, then driving into them, getting out & so on ;D

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 December 2009, 23:52:38 »

well I have no qualms in admitting that I hate driving in the snow-especially in Norfolk where they never seem to grit when its most needed. My old Prelude being FWD was a vast improvement on the Sierra before it but the Migs RWD/auto combination makes life a bit difficult sometimes despite traction control and the "snowflake". Slow and steady and keep your distance is my motto! More than once over the past few days have I had someone crawling up my backside as were driving on fresh snow over ice and no gritting and at the first opportunity they overtake me as theyre convinced that 1) I'm one of those old gits who cant drive in the snow and am holding everyone else up 2)theyre far more competent drivers than me and 3)of course they can do 40 rather than my 20. Guess what-no sooner than they get past they loose it , fight to get it back and then settle down at 20. Oh, and they all seem to drive something called a BMW ;D.Like a lot of our European drivers comment, we're just not geared up for these conditions here with insufficient gritters and lack of experience/knowledge as drivers. In Poland its not uncommon for people to have several different sets of tyres for different weather conditions for example but mention snow chains or snow tyres here and people dont know what youre on about.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20 December 2009, 00:21:25 »

Last year the guy 2 doors down couldn't get his vectra up the 1.5" to his drive. Completley useless ::)

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.[/quote]

That is the answer :y along with an awareness of whay other cars, around you are doing. :y
Been in some terrible stuff tonight with swmbo and Miss Vamps, had to pass rwd and fwd cars that simply could not make progress cos of too heavy right foot, oh and i was in my Citroen, fwd and you can 'drift' it  :-[

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 20 December 2009, 00:44:19 »

Last year the guy 2 doors down couldn't get his vectra up the 1.5" to his drive. Completley useless ::)

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.[/quote]

That is the answer :y along with an awareness of whay other cars, around you are doing. :y
Been in some terrible stuff tonight with swmbo and Miss Vamps, had to pass rwd and fwd cars that simply could not make progress cos of too heavy right foot, oh and i was in my Citroen, fwd and you can 'drift' it  :-[

But you have age and experience on your side you old bugga.   :-X :y :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 20 December 2009, 00:51:26 »

But you have age and experience on your side you old bugga.   :-X :y :y

And sometimes, as you know, it comes in handy.... :P

Got home tonight could not get on by drive, kerb the Problem, and I reverse on so like a rwd car. Turned it round and drove on fwd, no problem :y

Anyway, I read you have been in hospital, for 3 weeks? hope you are OK, certainly nice to see you back.. :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 20 December 2009, 00:54:02 »

Went in to check out the sexy nurses and liked what I saw, wanted to leave but they forced to stay and pampered me for a while. :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 20 December 2009, 00:58:50 »

Went in to check out the sexy nurses and liked what I saw, wanted to leave but they forced to stay and pampered me for a while. :-X

At least they let you out........... :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 20 December 2009, 02:03:04 »

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.

Not necessarily... Smooth, slower and controlled... RWD is, IMO better in snow as when you lose drive you can steer with the accelerator ;) ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 December 2009, 02:44:43 »

I've had two omegas and a beemer, both RWD, and both as sh!t in the wet/snow as any FWD. I've been driving for just on 40 years and the secret to driving in slippery conditions is- slow and careful, no matter which wheels are driven.

Not necessarily... Smooth, slower and controlled... RWD is, IMO better in snow as when you lose drive you can steer with the accelerator ;) ;) ;)

The Mini proved in the 1963 Monte Carlo Rally that FWD was best and nothing has since proved otherwise over 4x4..... :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.