Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow driving  (Read 6302 times)

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
Snow driving
« on: 19 December 2009, 19:06:15 »

Can anybody under 30 yr old drive in the snow?
Got back to UK yesterday morning - no taxis- too much snow, then could not use company van (astra) as key in safe place , so forced to use Miggy -- pleasantly surprised how good it is in the snow -- who needs front wheel drive? - half predictable back end breaking traction to turn car into right direction then nudge it as appropriate - all good fun. - Kids these days don't seem to be able to drive in the white stuff -  why can't I go round corner at 40 mph like normal?)

Brick Tamland

• Intermediate Member
  • Dublin
  • Good one!
    • '98 2.5 Manual
    • View Profile
Re: Snow driving
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2009, 19:10:37 »

Got back to UK yesterday morning - no taxis- too much snow, then could not use company van (astra) as key in safe place , so forced to use Miggy -- pleasantly surprised how good it is in the snow -- who needs front wheel drive? - half predictable back end breaking traction to turn car into right direction then nudge it as appropriate - all good fun. - Kids these days don't seem to be able to drive in the white stuff -  why can't I go round corner at 40 mph like normal?)

I can ;)

A 2.0 mx5 can't unfortunately, snow completley imobilises it ;D The mig is a totaly different story 8-)
Saving for one! All donations welcome, ask for details.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2009, 19:14:57 »

I cant speak for other parts of the country but where I live snow on the roads is a pretty rare thing nowadays. So it's my belief that it's down to lack of practice and inexperience
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2009, 19:15:33 »

long time ago up in newcastle used to go out in the snow to Tessdale etc. with shovel sack etc  in an old beetle - ( with a few lumps of concrete in the front- so steering wheel had some effect)- now grown up- well almost

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2009, 19:17:57 »

quite agree , when moved down south 25 yrs ago , first bit of snow used to go down to an empty car park and practice at night - just to refresh one's memory , unfortunately could'nt drive last week in the snow - as don't have Iranian diriving licence

Marie

• Omega Baron
  • Linconshire but works in oxfordshire
  • i am a hands on person, i like to get stuck in !!!
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2009, 19:19:06 »

Can anybody under 30 yr old drive in the snow?Got back to UK yesterday morning - no taxis- too much snow, then could not use company van (astra) as key in safe place , so forced to use Miggy -- pleasantly surprised how good it is in the snow -- who needs front wheel drive? - half predictable back end breaking traction to turn car into right direction then nudge it as appropriate - all good fun. - Kids these days don't seem to be able to drive in the white stuff -  why can't I go round corner at 40 mph like normal?)

yes i can i am snow and ice trained!!! thanks to the MOD  :) :) :) :) :)
Now has two miggs in our house hold. Both 2.0ltr 16v lpg'd. a MFL and a FL.

sexydaz

« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2009, 19:19:29 »

climbing in mine yesterday and theres a slight slope out of my estate and neighbours stood still in his renault lagpoona wheels spinning goin nowhere,the mig just cruised up it and when i got back home and turned into my cul de sac a brush on the gas and the back end swung out beautifully opposite lock and it just straightened and landed perfick in front of mi garage,bet it looked cool ;D :y

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2009, 19:22:39 »

Maria - you must be one of the few exceptions- was talking to next door yesterday -he was trying to educate one of the kids that  spinning wheels to get thru 6" of packed snow before you move is not the way to go.
 Its a pleasant change to be able to log on - as had to use another pc the last 4 weeks

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2009, 19:24:09 »

What about the garage door?

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2009, 19:33:26 »

Just to set the record straight, I'm well over 30, and I'm absolutely useless at driving in the snow and ice.

Took me an hour to back out of the drive yesterday :(
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2009, 19:33:47 »

I can ;)

A 2.0 mx5 can't unfortunately, snow completley imobilises it ;D The mig is a totaly different story 8-)
MX5's are tail happy wee beasties even in just damp conditions.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2009, 19:35:06 »

One of the best laughs I ever had was a few years ago I used to have a 2.0 ltr Sierra (right wheel drive of course) I took it down to the beach after a couple of days of hard frost were an area of sheer Ice had formed on the beach. The area of ice was about the size of four football pitches, their was no one else around so had some fun with the hand brake, opposite lock steering, J turns etc until my fun was curtailed by the local plod in a panda car turning up and wagging his finger at me. :(
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2009, 19:36:21 »

when walking home yesterday - saw a baby BMW - stuck in the snow on the flat - no weight on the back

STMO999

« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2009, 19:36:46 »

Front wheel drive is best in slippery conditions.

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2009, 19:37:24 »

Guess mr Plod was jealous
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.