Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen Britain seen from above  (Read 1869 times)

feeutfo

Re: Frozen Britain seen from above
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2010, 23:46:30 »

meaning gulfstream donald! 

serious..

Cobblers!  >:(

It means a southerly jet stream and Scandinavian anticyclonic blocking. Hpappened many times in the past. Nothing to do with the Gulf Stream!!    ::)

rather well is to do with the gulf stream, weather man mentioned it several times. I wonder if you really mean that the gulf stream moving is nout to do with global warming??? as i beleive (tentatively) that its moved north not south?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2010, 23:52:17 »

The Gulf Stream comes nowhere near the UK.  The North Atlantic Drift on the other hand.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Nickbat

« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2010, 00:08:38 »

The Gulf Stream comes nowhere near the UK.  The North Atlantic Drift on the other hand.

The North Atlantic Drift is a continuation of the Gulf Stream and the latter term has seemingly replaced the former as the dominant description. I was taught "North Atlantic Drift" at school, but I accept that the majority of people seem to use "Gulf Stream" these days. Either way, both terms essentially describe the same oceanic flow.  :y

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2010, 00:21:45 »

right man go with the flow .dont matter its still bloody freeeeeeezing roll on spring then summer it will be christmas before you no it ::) ::) ::) :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2010, 00:28:57 »

The North Atlantic Drift is a continuation of the Gulf Stream and the latter term has seemingly replaced the former as the dominant description. I was taught "North Atlantic Drift" at school, but I accept that the majority of people seem to use "Gulf Stream" these days. Either way, both terms essentially describe the same oceanic flow.  :y

Completely agree with you on this.  The majority of people are wrong.  The Caribbean and Antilles Currents feed the Gulf Stream..... The Gulf Stream then hands over to the North Atlantic Drift just off the east coast of the States.  Hell of a distance from there to North of Europe.

It's just something I've been really pedantic about since I argued with my Geography Teacher years ago, and got sent home.  ;D

Nickbat

« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2010, 00:30:32 »

serious..

It means a southerly jet stream and Scandinavian anticyclonic blocking. Hpappened many times in the past. Nothing to do with the Gulf Stream!!    ::)

rather well is to do with the gulf stream, weather man mentioned it several times. I wonder if you really mean that the gulf stream moving is nout to do with global warming??? as i beleive (tentatively) that its moved north not south?

The Gulf Stream (North Atlantic Drift!) meanders. Furthermore, it would seem that thermohaline circulations (such as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the North Atlantic Meridional) affect our climate a great deal - far more, indeed than any small amount of CO2 in the atmosphere I would suggest. It is very difficult to establish the reasons for these changes, since they seem to be associated with solar activity, as well as the fluid dynamics associated with the Earth's rotation and orbit. However, interestingly, there are some who say that the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift is not as important for Europe as claimed:

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2006/4/the-source-of-europes-mild-climate/1

The jury's out on this. But I personally don't believe, at this point in time, that CO2 has any influence on ocean currents.
 :y

« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 00:35:21 by Nickbat »

Nickbat

« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2010, 00:31:58 »

Completely agree with you on this.  The majority of people are wrong.  The Caribbean and Antilles Currents feed the Gulf Stream..... The Gulf Stream then hands over to the North Atlantic Drift just off the east coast of the States.  Hell of a distance from there to North of Europe.

It's just something I've been really pedantic about since I argued with my Geography Teacher years ago, and got sent home.  ;D

Yes, I would agree. Perhaps I should become as pedantic as you! Indeed, had the web existed back then, you could have shown your geography teacher this:

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/thc_fact_sheet.html

That would have shut him up!
 :y :y ;) ;D
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 00:33:50 by Nickbat »

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2010, 00:36:00 »

serious..

The Gulf Stream meanders. Furthermore, it would seem that thermohaline circulations (such as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the North Atlantic Meridional) affect our climate a great deal. Far more, indeed than any small amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is very difficult to establish the reasons for these changes, since they seem to be associated with solar activity, as well as the fluid dynamics associated with the Earth's rotation and orbit. However, interestingly, there are some who say that the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift is not as important for Europe as claimed:

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2006/4/the-source-of-europes-mild-climate/1

The jury's out on this. But I personally don't believe, at this point in time, that CO2 has any influence on ocean currents.

:-? a simple yes, in agreement, would have done Nick. ;D ;)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2010, 00:36:11 »

Yes, I would agree. Perhaps I should become as pedantic as you! Indeed, had the web existed back then, you could have shown your geography teacher this:

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/thc_fact_sheet.html

That would have shut him up!
 :y :y ;) ;D

Nice find.  I'm quite sure the silly old bugger is dead by now, but would be an interesting debate in the pub (not that interesting to anyone other than my pedantry mind and the silly old guffer)  ;D ;D

Nickbat

« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2010, 01:04:09 »

serious..

The Gulf Stream meanders. Furthermore, it would seem that thermohaline circulations (such as the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the North Atlantic Meridional) affect our climate a great deal. Far more, indeed than any small amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is very difficult to establish the reasons for these changes, since they seem to be associated with solar activity, as well as the fluid dynamics associated with the Earth's rotation and orbit. However, interestingly, there are some who say that the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift is not as important for Europe as claimed:

LOL!! Why use one word when ten will do?

;D ;D ;D ;D

But you raise an important point that gets to the crux of the whole issue.

Weather we can all understand - and we all have an opinion on today's weather. Indeed, it used to be the case that the British were criticised for always talking about the weather!

However, weather is, in fact, probably the most complex feature of our planet. Take this, very academic critique of climate modelling:

http://theresilientearth.com/?q=content/climate-models-irreducibly-imprecise

The crux of the matter (backed up by the maths) is summarised at the bottom:

Scientists are currently arguing about temperature changes of tenths of degrees per decade or even per century. Given the state of GCM and available computer resources, valid predictions of climate changes of these magnitudes simply cannot be accurately calculated. This is not a mater of opinion, it is a statement of fact based in mathematical analysis of climate models by multiple scholars. To base the future of the world's economy and possibly the course of human civilization on climate model predictions is insanity

To me, that is why the whole argument about climate change should be approached with caution. The science is highly complex and even the most simple theories are beyond the ken (or beyond the interest!) of most of the public. Hence, fill the media with scare stories and the same general public won't have a clue what is kosher science and what isn't. Tell them that mankind is to blame for all everything from a drizzly day to today's snowfall, and they'll buy it.

Fortunately, dumbed-down education hasn't yet achieved the goal of making everyone like "The Stepford Wives", so there are still a few independent thinkers left that like to examine the evidence.

And when they do......  ;) ;D   

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2010, 01:57:37 »

serious..

LOL!! Why use one word when ten will do?

;D ;D ;D ;D

But you raise an important point that gets to the crux of the whole issue.

Weather we can all understand - and we all have an opinion on today's weather. Indeed, it used to be the case that the British were criticised for always talking about the weather!

However, weather is, in fact, probably the most complex feature of our planet. Take this, very academic critique of climate modelling:

http://theresilientearth.com/?q=content/climate-models-irreducibly-imprecise

The crux of the matter (backed up by the maths) is summarised at the bottom:

Scientists are currently arguing about temperature changes of tenths of degrees per decade or even per century. Given the state of GCM and available computer resources, valid predictions of climate changes of these magnitudes simply cannot be accurately calculated. This is not a mater of opinion, it is a statement of fact based in mathematical analysis of climate models by multiple scholars. To base the future of the world's economy and possibly the course of human civilization on climate model predictions is insanity

To me, that is why the whole argument about climate change should be approached with caution. The science is highly complex and even the most simple theories are beyond the ken (or beyond the interest!) of most of the public. Hence, fill the media with scare stories and the same general public won't have a clue what is kosher science and what isn't. Tell them that mankind is to blame for all everything from a drizzly day to today's snowfall, and they'll buy it.

Fortunately, dumbed-down education hasn't yet achieved the goal of making everyone like "The Stepford Wives", so there are still a few independent thinkers left that like to examine the evidence.

And when they do......  ;) ;D   
mm, anyway, nice pic :) ;)

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2010, 14:34:51 »

Watched this yesterday over sheffield.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsBpK74OvQ[/media]

There's a fair bit of North and West Yorkshire there! ;)
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 January 2010, 14:36:50 »

This striking image taken by Nasa's Terra satellite on 7 January shows the UK deep in the clutches of the current cold snap.

Very interesting picture - it proves that Eire or Southern Ireland DOES have weather.
Never seen it with weather on BBC or ITV weather forecasts!
 ;D ;D ;D
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.