Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Scammed On eBay  (Read 1409 times)

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
Scammed On eBay
« on: 29 December 2008, 12:51:19 »

Bought a Sony Ericsson C902i off eBay as an xmas gift for myself got the phone on the 16th december phone worked perfectly

Yesterday the phone said "Inactive Sim" with any sim card inserted into it i rang o2 up who took the phones IMEI and told me it was blacklisted as it was reported lost / stollen!

the guy also told me that o2 still own this phone as its tied up into an 18month contract!

I have passed all my findings onto the local plod and filled a paypal dispute fortunatly i am protected by Paypal

should i get the little B****d a CCJ aswell or just get my money back and leave it to the plod?

i shall no longer be buying electronic goods off eBay anymore now though a load of friends have been had and i thought as i was wise i would be ok! obviously not..........

stuart30

Re: Scammed On eBay
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2008, 12:58:37 »

Bought a Sony Ericsson C902i off eBay as an xmas gift for myself got the phone on the 16th december phone worked perfectly

Yesterday the phone said "Inactive Sim" with any sim card inserted into it i rang o2 up who took the phones IMEI and told me it was blacklisted as it was reported lost / stollen!

the guy also told me that o2 still own this phone as its tied up into an 18month contract!

I have passed all my findings onto the local plod and filled a paypal dispute fortunatly i am protected by Paypal

should i get the little B****d a CCJ aswell or just get my money back and leave it to the plod?

i shall no longer be buying electronic goods off eBay anymore now though a load of friends have been had and i thought as i was wise i would be ok! obviously not..........

To be honest that could of happend anywhere...market or second hand shop ect ect.

It is bad luck though...and good luck with paypal,just hope he has funds in his paypal if not then your out of luck. :-X

Could you not just have it unlocked and use it.... :-?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2008, 12:59:38 »

Yeh...paypal are pretty shite....likely to rule in your favour and then satte that there were no funds to support recovery of cash in thier account.

stuart30

« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2008, 13:01:31 »

One option is too sell it too someone who has family oversea"s as would still work.

Ofcourse you would have too explain the situation and phone wouldnt be worth a great deal...but its better than the bin. :-/

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2008, 13:19:36 »

Bad luck mate. But did you check his feedback before buying? I have bought and sold loads of stuff on eBay and have never had any issues at all. The most recent was a 2nd hand camera for about £200 (a Canon D20). You just need to make sensible judgements on who to deal with based not on feedback and (more important really)  looking at what they have bought and sold in the past to take view on the sort of person you are dealing with

SteveMJ

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2008, 13:52:23 »

My only purchase from e-bay was the same. Pay-pal and E-bay said they would help - but did not more than that.  They were worse than useless as after offering to help they just delayed me starting to get real help.

I paid pay-pal through my credit card (Nationwide) after I returned the item to the supplier (credit card co insisted) I got a full refund.  Then I found that Virgin mobile did the same handset for the same money but with call credit.

S
Steve

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2008, 14:42:43 »

To be honest that could of happend anywhere...market or second hand shop ect ect.

It is bad luck though...and good luck with paypal,just hope he has funds in his paypal if not then your out of luck. :-X

Not as easy as that......unlocking the phone just allows it to be used on any network, If O2 have blacklisted it using the IMEI number then it wont work on any network, unlocked or not.

However, i believe there are programs you might find on the interwebby that allow you to change the IMEI number, to say the number of an old phone you have but never use.  Wouldnt think its legal to do so mind  ::)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2008, 15:11:40 »

Not as easy as that......unlocking the phone just allows it to be used on any network, If O2 have blacklisted it using the IMEI number then it wont work on any network, unlocked or not.

However, i believe there are programs you might find on the interwebby that allow you to change the IMEI number, to say the number of an old phone you have but never use.  Wouldnt think its legal to do so mind  ::)

completely illegal

their only use once IMEI blocked over here is overseas use

its too risky to buy phones off ebay, especially expensive ones, and if you're buying one of the latest models thats definately under a year old you can bet your life it's still attached to a contract and only a TINY amount of people choose to sell the handset on legitimately because maybe they prefer their old phone

I found a phone on boxing night in a night club, i turned it off immediately and took it home, the following morning i turned it on to try to find the owner by searching "home" in the phone book but it was pin locked, thankfully only on the sim, so i put my sim in and managed to access the owners own phone numbers and got in contact with them, and returned it to the rightful owner, they'd had it disconnected but the network will reconnect it for her, she apparently had loads of valuable photos and videos of her baby god-daughter on it!

she weren't some alchy who'd carelessly lost her phone either, she'd had her drink spiked and then fell down the stairs, ended up in hospital so i'm all the more pleased I returned it to her!

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2008, 16:03:49 »

Changing its IMEI cant be done as its an Ericsson and you can be sent to prison for doing it.

The police have proved to be very helpful as the lad lives in the same police area as me they have sent there collegues to pay him a visit the lad still lives his parents and his dad is refunding my money  
the police have taken the phone and are going to speak with o2

Justice Hopefully

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2008, 16:10:25 »

Changing its IMEI cant be done as its an Ericsson and you can be sent to prison for doing it.

The police have proved to be very helpful as the lad lives in the same police area as me they have sent there collegues to pay him a visit the lad still lives his parents and his dad is refunding my money  
the police have taken the phone and are going to speak with o2

Justice Hopefully

I really do hope so.

Scamming little Shite
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2008, 16:18:17 »

How did he expect not to get caught!

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2008, 16:29:54 »

if it werent for the lads dad though i doubt i would of got any refund !

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2008, 16:46:37 »

if it werent for the lads dad though i doubt i would of got any refund !

Refund aside - it should be one in custody !  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2008, 16:50:45 »

Do we know anything about how this lad came by the phone? He might have been 'had' himself ........ and have a believable excuse!  ::)  ::)  ::)  ....... it's possible! ;)  :y  :y  :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2008, 16:52:50 »

Do we know anything about how this lad came by the phone? He might have been 'had' himself ........ and have a believable excuse!  ::)  ::)  ::)  ....... it's possible! ;)  :y  :y  :y

"Seller assumes reponsibility"  etc
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.