Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interviews for jobs in lockdown  (Read 11993 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Interviews for jobs in lockdown
« Reply #45 on: 25 July 2020, 17:12:24 »

Sounds like a perfect fit and some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope it goes well. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 October 2020, 10:18:03 »

Update. 

So I'm on week 11, gradually ramped up to full time, one day in the office, (Near the M69), the rest from home, (140 miles north of the office) 
With Liverpool Level 3 Lockdown  imminent, it's not a "great" idea to be travelling out of Sefton Borough so I've had a discussion with them and they are okay with me here.  I'm project managing 2 projects with MOD and USAF, and fitting in the ISO 9001 stuff. Clearance is baseline security. 

The Barrow contract ?  Finally today (exactly 1 year since I applied) BAE Systems have sent NSVS links for me to start to obtain SC clearance (I had it once but it lapsed).  Had a conversation with the people who've been paying me for 10 weeks, and they said, the clearance would be useful, and it's transferable (and they haven't got the clout with the MOD that BAE have), so may as well submit it.   Not quite sure how I'd actually do a contract in Barrow when the rules appear to say that I shouldn't stay overnight out of the area. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 October 2020, 10:27:13 »

That's the sort of rule that's written by people who don't understand weekly commuting or shift/night work.

Obviously staying in a hotel would be questionable and possibly against the level 3 rules, but then so would non essential work :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 October 2020, 12:49:33 »

That's the sort of rule that's written by people who don't understand weekly commuting or shift/night work.

Obviously staying in a hotel would be questionable and possibly against the level 3 rules, but then so would non essential work :-\

Is working on a nuclear submarine essential ? Some might say not.  The man I was 25 years ago might be unimpressed at how I'm prepared to change my principles for cold hard cash.

I have a tow bar (in the shed) so it was always going to be a case of caravan (which I don't own) or s-h(it)otel.  It's only 2 hours drive.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 October 2020, 14:19:33 »

That's called growing up ::)

Notwithstanding, I assume that you read the Official Secrets Act before you signed it :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 October 2020, 16:40:29 »

Notwithstanding, I assume that you read the Official Secrets Act before you signed it :-X

I've signed it in 1985, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2009, 2015 and again in 2020.

Aparently I'm due ITAR training (again)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 13 October 2020, 19:23:51 »

Not that "signing it" is a thing anyway... ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15 October 2020, 14:23:03 »

I'm almost certain that at one client, I signed to say I'd read it, and on leaving had to sign to say I understood I was still covered by it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 15 October 2020, 18:50:00 »

I'm almost certain that at one client, I signed to say I'd read it, and on leaving had to sign to say I understood I was still covered by it.

That's more probable. ;)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 December 2020, 05:35:07 »

So, 2 things happened.
1) BAe Systems are now holding SC clearance in my name. Agency have asked when id like to start.
2) The small company I've been contracting for since March are expanding rapidly. I've been told they want me to think about making my role with them.more permanent,

So a simple calc on a spreadsheet shows that going permanent requires a much higher rate, than they currently pay me, if I want The same money. 
Life isn't that simple. I'd like a shareholding, and could live with a lower income if there was a potential dividend or a buy out by a big firm.
And this year whilst being exceptionally weird has proved that being a contractor isn't always great. First time in 11 years where I had more than a few weeks off between contracts. Plus the IR35 ballocks that's going to opps it up big style.  (That BAE gig, will be Umbrellor PAYE, and that makes a big dent....)

So thinking about options.
1) Suggest a salary and write my own job spec for that.
2) Suggest a lower salary but include shares in the deal.
3) Suggest a lower salary, shares and offer to invest for a seat on the board.

Because of my personally and the general imposter syndrome, I'm struggling with it. Plus my CAT died the other day.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03 December 2020, 06:43:22 »

You have obviously been in the game and proved yourself for quite a few years now, so don't let the impostor syndrome hold you back. Think big, be cheeky even, with your ideas for your current employer. If it doesn't go well, you've always got the second option.
Sorry about your cat. :'(
Diesel till I die

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 June 2021, 08:59:57 »

Long time, need to update this.
Firstly, wife's dad died in November. Cat died in December, wife's mother died in Februrary.
Agency for BAE have got a bit impatient. And I need to give them a start date.
My current client, have continued to prefer me to work from home, due to a small office, but the discussions on my future, put a permie job offer, well in the "yeah, I can see where you got that figure from, but no"
That is the earlier discussions where ballocks.
They continue to pay me, and I'm now getting into thier office about once a fortnight. But I'm a touch bored. And demotivated.
So the other day an ex boss contacted me via LinkedIn.
He is looking for a permie guy to be his operational excellence director. I asked over the phone why he was thinking of me, and he described Someone I barely recognise.
I mean, my mojo, is clearly a bit lost along the way.
Anyway. The long and the short of it, he's the UK MD. His boss in the states wants to interview me on zoom, with a view to me working for the UK MD.
It's at a level that I've never quite attained, but with a boss that always got the very best out of me.
Salary, plus pension, car etc. Would be more after Tax than I've had as a contractor.
Woukd have to spend 4 days near Spagetti Junction, but that's 55 mins drive from.my second home.
Spoke to wife about our aspirations, and she's encouraging me.  For her it's not about the money, but about me feeling like I'm making a difference.
So Tuesday afternoon, I need to prepare.
I also need to tell BAE that I'm not working inside IR35 ever, if only to help them see the error of their ways and help other contractors.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 June 2021, 10:40:06 »

Sounds like a very positive development. Good luck!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17 June 2021, 11:33:14 »

You can do this, and you know you can. If you don't buck your ideas up, next time I'm visiting mother in Aintree, I'll drive up the road and kick your arse!  ;D
Diesel till I die

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 17 June 2021, 12:54:05 »

You can do this, and you know you can. If you don't buck your ideas up, next time I'm visiting mother in Aintree, I'll drive up the road and kick your arse!  ;D

Omegod will give you my address.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.