Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: call centres (frustration)  (Read 3183 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: call centres (frustration)
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2020, 21:21:09 »

The reason it's done is exactly the same reason that Ryanair get away with all the sh!t they pull on their customers and staff.

People p!ss and moan but ultimately won't open their wallets any wider to pay for better customer service, so why should companies waste good profit providing it?  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2020, 21:32:25 »

That is a horrid thought Sir T.  Where it might fall down is once a wk/month face to face meeting in office. Not many planes.

If the big companies were saving loads of cash, I'm sure they'd forget about face to face office meetings very quickly!  ::)

Maybe a regular jolly to Mumbai or Manila for the corporate bigwigs to rally the troops?  ;)  :)
My cousin works for a well to do oil production company and seems to spend most of her time either in Houston or Greater India. She prefers Houston...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2020, 21:40:51 »

Lot's of people I know have been enjoying working from home over the last few months, but I wonder how long it will take before the big companies realise that if an office bod can effectively work from home in Surrey, they can get an office bod in Mumbai or Manila to do the same job?  ???  ::)
They did long before this sniffle thing.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2020, 21:44:29 »

That is a horrid thought Sir T.  Where it might fall down is once a wk/month face to face meeting in office. Not many planes.
I suspect the last time I saw my boss face to face wasn't this year. Or all but 1 of my colleagues. What use are face to face meetings 2 decades into this millennium?
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2020, 21:59:30 »

Fair point.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2020, 21:59:42 »

I suspect the last time I saw my boss face to face wasn't this year. Or all but 1 of my colleagues. What use are face to face meetings 2 decades into this millennium?

Handy every so often if you work with physical products because you can show the hardware engineers where the smoke escaped from. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2020, 22:28:03 »

It's so much more effective for the 'managers' to actually smell the smoke when you set fire to half of their proposed new paperwork......

That meeting was fun ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2020, 22:32:32 »

Was that your last office job? :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2020, 22:57:40 »

I wasn't the one with the cigarette lighter. Or an office job.

At other meetings it was Tony brazenly handing out the Bullshit Bingo cards, and utterer of the immortal phrase "If you empower me to do that, I'm going to punch you"

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2020, 23:19:06 »

Brilliant ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2020, 23:57:23 »

The company newsletter was a tedious rag called Up Front. The anonymous arrival of Down Behind packed full of gossip, vicious criticism, lies and slander caused a lot of consternation.

We would have been in deep shit if they could have proved it was us. Careful editing and some devious work with the postage deflected most of the attention to two other depots, and  we decided that our careers as published satirists had to be short.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 October 2020, 12:03:34 »

For established teams I 100% agree. I haven't really seen anyone I work with since March, nor any of the hoard of people who interviewed me for my new job. That said, if you bring in new people into a company (particularly more junior people) its useful for them to meet face to face to get a propper feel for the business/team they're joining.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 October 2020, 17:37:45 »

Handy every so often if you work with physical products because you can show the hardware engineers where the smoke escaped from. :-X
Ah, but our hardware vendors would still insist on firmware and driver updates.

Many, many moons ago, when I was far more "passionate" about work than I am now, my frustrations with a particularly crap Dell laptop resulted in the mouse buttons becoming very detached from the rest of the laptop.

So I ring up Dell.
TB: Good afternoon, I'm afraid the laptop fell off a rack, and the mouse buttons have come off and snapped their circuit board in half.
Dell: OK, I understand you have an issue with your mouse buttons. Do the mouse buttons work?
TB: No, because they are in my drawers, and the circuit board is snapped in half
Dell: OK, I understand, can you restart your laptop in Safe Mode
TB: Its already in Safe Mode
Dell: Great, do the mouse buttons work now
TB: No, still not working. They wouldn't, seeing as they are not attached and snapped in two pieces
Dell: Can you install the latest drivers from our web site
TB: (Lying) Already done that
Dell: Are they working now?
TB: Of course not, as the bits of the mouse are locked up in a drawer, smashed to F
Dell: OK can you right click on...
TB Interrupting: You need to send an engineer FFS, the thing is smashed to shit, and no software fix is going to make the circuit board glue itself back together and jump out of the drawers and back inside the laptop
Dell: But it could be the settings...

But we all know thats the norm.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2020, 17:39:55 »

A quality Irish company expect no better would ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2020, 17:47:28 »

For established teams I 100% agree. I haven't really seen anyone I work with since March, nor any of the hoard of people who interviewed me for my new job. That said, if you bring in new people into a company (particularly more junior people) its useful for them to meet face to face to get a propper feel for the business/team they're joining.
I know some people can't cope so well with remote working, but not sure I agree for the majority of people.  Certainly our latest grad who joined us during full lockdown is yet to meet any of us, and is doing nicely.

I guess as I started out with a little yellow van and £1m of liability bond and told to "F-off and do your worst", I'm pretty self sufficient and expect others to be.  And rarely see the point of time wasting, unproductive meetings and wankword bingo.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2020, 19:10:35 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.