Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: British Airways Bullsh!t - A new one on me  (Read 4756 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
British Airways Bullsh!t - A new one on me
« on: 08 October 2020, 14:09:15 »

This morning two colleagues of mine took a BA flight (against my advice) out of LHR to CDG.

They were originally booked on the 0720 but received an email about 10 days ago saying they had been bumped onto the 0935 as their flight was cancelled. However when they got to the airport they saw on the board that the 0720 had departed - on time  ???, BA's website confirms this. I can't imagine that BA had managed to overbook that flight as there were all of 17 passengers on the 0935 - anyone seen this before?

As an aside, the 0935 actually left 2hrs late due to a last minute aircraft switch resulting from a botched repair. So rather than an 0930 arrival they got in at 1344.  ::)

All in all an episode that's done nothing to reverse my opinion that BA are an overpriced sh!tehouse that you'd have to be mad to offer your money to.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: British Airways Bullsh!t - A new one on me
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2020, 14:13:39 »

I agree. They used to be pretty good, but a long time ago decided to live off their past reputation. The reputation is now a distant memory for many people.
It isnt even British anymore. I believe its owned by Spaniards ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2020, 14:48:55 »

Today the last two BA 747's took off from Heathrow, one going to S.Wales, the other to Gloucester :'( :'(

It seems only yesterday, 1969 I believe, that we saw the first 747 landing in the UK and in 1971 it first flew as a BOAC aircraft :o :o :o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2020, 15:17:50 »

Today the last two BA 747's took off from Heathrow, one going to S.Wales, the other to Gloucester :'( :'(

It seems only yesterday, 1969 I believe, that we saw the first 747 landing in the UK and in 1971 it first flew as a BOAC aircraft :o :o :o

Flew in from Miami beach BOAC.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2020, 15:31:53 »

It's a crying shame what's happening to the airlines, I don't enjoy flying anywhere with anyone  now , queues & delays that's all it seems to be now.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2020, 15:57:38 »

The bumping/reschedule of the booking could be due to a number of factors... No enough original demand for the flight (or its return), a change to the scheduled aircraft type limiting the availability of seats... Last booked first bumped... Any spurious changes to Batflu restrictions...

Any alterations may not have been specifically related to that route, but as a consequence of changes/disruption elsewhere.

The 'botched' repair complaint only serves to highlight a lack of understanding about how aircraft maintenance works.

Let's say, for example, that the aircraft arrived at Heathrow at 0845 with a defect for a faulty coffee boiler.

At 0855, once tha passengers are off, the engineer gets informed of detail of the fault.

0900, having established that a fault keeps tripping the breaker, the boiler is removed for replacement with a serviceable one. This is the quickest, easiest approach to fixing the problem and would be a decision made based on likely fault and speed of rectification*.

0910, the replacement boiler is fitted, but still blows the breaker.

Boarding gets delayed 5 minutes.

0915 further investigation reveals a fault where the boiler loom has chaffed behind the galley assembly.

0920 aircraft gets swapped as it is going to be quicker to change aircraft than wait while this one is repaired.

Flight gets rescheduled to the nearest realistic time whilst the aircraft is swapped.

In order for this to happen, the following takes place:

Decision is made to either change gate and move everyone over to the new aircraft, or the aircraft gets swapped at the existing gate.

Catering gates pulled, bags offloaded, crew transfer over (if their hours permit) Aircraft gets towed x2 (if they keep the gate) or busses arranged to transfer passengers/crew.

Crew board new aircraft and prepare it (again) for the flight, catering, fuel and bags reloaded, new flightplan is filed and slot rescheduled. Passengers board and the flight departs. Late.

A two hour delay is pretty reasonable under the circumstances, but also consider that that aircraft will potentially be two hours late for the rest of the day.

Factor in that effect over a fleet the size of BA or EasyJet with all the associated schedule changes and reorganisation and it is sometimes a wonder that anything arrives when and where it was planned to.

The water boiler example is just that, there are thousands of parts that could fail or get damaged that could be a simple fix or a total nightmare... Not to mention third party damage such as the loaders or caterers damaging the aircraft. Also aircraft run with Minimum Equipment Lists which applies to everything on the aircraft... If it already has a couple of defects and the minimum is exceeded by a failure on the inbound flight, then fixing the minimum item may not be possible in the available turn around time. And knowing about an issue before the aircraft arrives is all well and good, but you can't do anything about it until it is on the ground and unless it's an engine fault, until it is unloaded.

To expect an airline to have a spare aircraft and crew for every flight waiting just in case is insane, and financially impossible. They might have four crews on standby and a couple of standby aircraft, but if your flight is the third one to develop a fault at that point, you're going to be delayed.

* Again this is a made up example of how an issue could escalate. An automotive example might be that your oil light comes on. You establish that the level is ok, so you change the sensor as that's the next easiest thing. This doesn't solve the problem, so you check the wiring (these two steps are interchangeable) which reveals no fault. Now you're into physically checking the oil pressure, which turns out to be really low. Suddenly you're into pulling/stripping the engine to swap out the oil pump.

Similarly a snapped wheel bolt or having a flat spare when you get a puncture on the motorway. In France. On a Sunday.

Doesn't take much of an escalation to turn a five minute job into a two day one.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2020, 17:02:22 »

This morning two colleagues of mine took a BA flight (against my advice) out of LHR to CDG.

They were originally booked on the 0720 but received an email about 10 days ago saying they had been bumped onto the 0935 as their flight was cancelled. However when they got to the airport they saw on the board that the 0720 had departed - on time  ???, BA's website confirms this. I can't imagine that BA had managed to overbook that flight as there were all of 17 passengers on the 0935 - anyone seen this before?

As an aside, the 0935 actually left 2hrs late due to a last minute aircraft switch resulting from a botched repair. So rather than an 0930 arrival they got in at 1344.  ::)

All in all an episode that's done nothing to reverse my opinion that BA are an overpriced sh!tehouse that you'd have to be mad to offer your money to.
Not used BA that often, and no real complaints when I have.  The thing that winds me up about BA is Terminal 5, which is enough to drive anyone to violence. But thats not BA's fault.

If I had to find fault, I'd have to go into full on Opti mode, and suggest the trolley dollys aren't what you'd call Wank Bank material. Much like Sleazy Jet.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 17:41:14 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2020, 17:16:32 »

Ah, thanks Opti :-* :-* :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2020, 17:21:14 »

Ah, thanks Opti :-* :-* :y

We still have some BOAC whisky tumblers lovely crystal, always use one if I feel a cold coming on.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2020, 18:49:00 »

Going back to the USSR ?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2020, 19:45:52 »

The information about bumping of flights did highlight a couple of things that I wasn't aware of, thanks.  :y But to lie to customers about the status of a service they have paid for is inexcusable in my view. But they have form, given they were recently rumbled for misleading customers over refunds and failure to pay compensation for late flights which was rightfully due to customers - so they have strong form in this area.  ;D

But I think you're wide of the mark about the maintenance issue, specifically...

The 'botched' repair complaint only serves to highlight a lack of understanding about how aircraft maintenance works.
To expect an airline to have a spare aircraft and crew for every flight waiting just in case is insane, and financially impossible
Factor in that effect over a fleet the size of BA or EasyJet with all the associated schedule changes and reorganisation and it is sometimes a wonder that anything arrives when and where it was planned to.

I am well aware that maintenance is often done at very short or no notice and to incredibly demanding timescales, so its not surprising that things go awry, or simply cannot to done in the time available. The aircraft had been on the tarmac at T5 for a smidge over 11hrs since it came in from DUS the night before and had (according to the flight crew) been subject to a repair, but the fault re-occurred at the gate- assuming this is true, it would be hard to argue things had been done properly. 

Also, given the number of cancelled flights at the moment, T5 looks like a BA branded boneyard.  :D

I do agree with your last point however. Earlier this year I applied for a job at Easyjet, so I did a reasonable amount of research, and the complexity is mindblowing, leave along much larger short/long haul operations.  :o

At the end of the day, Alex Cruz has brought all he learned from running Vueling and has used it to turn a national flag carrier into a distrusted overpriced budget airline, which is very sad. Given that last year, only Michael O'Really's outfit were ranked lower for customer satisfaction, at least it seems people are cottening on.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 19:48:44 by Viral_Jim »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2020, 20:03:01 »

Given that last year, only Michael O'Really's outfit were ranked lower for customer satisfaction, at least it seems people are cottening on.

But they are still flying, and still selling tickets.  I've flown RyanAir twice.... after the first time I said "never again".  The second time, I said "never again".  I probably would fly with them again, if the price was ridiculously cheap (and sometimes they are).

We put up with crap service if the price is right.

The last time I flew with BA, was a short jump from LGW to CDG (a weekend in EuroDisney), that was 3 years ago.  I don't really recall the flight or service, which says it was neither excellent or terrible.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2020, 20:09:11 »

Pinning down an intermittent fault is hard enough on a car, but can be a complete pig on summat as complicated as an aircraft... Ultimately it all depends on the nature of the specific fault and what is required to fix it. It might even be that engineering had pulled the aircraft from service but forgotten to tell operations because the fire alarm went off or something more serious had broken elsewhere...

Also it depends on the specific fault as to whether the aircraft can fly, but ultimately it is down to the crew... in the same way that a hire car can be down to 2mm tyre tread depth... Perfectly legal, but you reserve the right not to accept it.  ;)

I've lost count of the number of times that I have turned up for overtime, both at base and away, only to find out that the aircraft we were scheduled to work on has nightstopped in Naples or Madrid or that the flight bringing in the parts from an outstation has been canned ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2020, 20:10:36 »

I would still choose to crawl to my destination than use Spudulike. :-X

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2020, 21:41:38 »

Given that last year, only Michael O'Really's outfit were ranked lower for customer satisfaction, at least it seems people are cottening on.

But they are still flying, and still selling tickets.  I've flown RyanAir twice.... after the first time I said "never again".  The second time, I said "never again".  I probably would fly with them again, if the price was ridiculously cheap (and sometimes they are).

We put up with crap service if the price is right.

The last time I flew with BA, was a short jump from LGW to CDG (a weekend in EuroDisney), that was 3 years ago.  I don't really recall the flight or service, which says it was neither excellent or terrible.

Flew with Ryanair 2 summers ago was dreadful from start to finish would never use them again even for free, cheap & nasty is the only way to describe it, you get what you pay for and I would gladly pay more if I ever choose to fly again, unfortunately the flights were booked by friends we were holidaying with who thought that cheap flights would be okay with us , personally I would never have entertained it, luckily for them the villa & pool they had found were top notch so I didn't stay grumpy for long.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 21:48:08 by Rangie »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.