Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ageas home contents insurance- shysters!  (Read 1554 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Ageas home contents insurance- shysters!
« on: 19 October 2020, 16:59:58 »

Two months ago my son accidentally pierced the refrigerant pipe in our freezer, causing it to fail. I completed the online claim form, stating clearly the cause of the damage and there ensued a series of delaying, incommunicative emails. My broker could not get them to respond effectively AND FINALLY THEY DISMISSED MY CLAIM, SAYING THAT i WAS NOT COVERED FOR ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
 Had I been told that such damage was not covered back in August, I would have beeen spared a lot of unwelcome stress and effort, which, given my health issues, I could well have done without.
Just what exactly is covered if not accidental damage? Wear and tear would be excluded also, so that doesn't leave much else!
Once again, an insurance company is happy to collect premiums, but very reluctant to pay out and will try anything  to avoid doing so.

Ron. >:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Ageas home contents insurance- shysters!
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2020, 17:12:45 »

Always read the small print...

Also, the chances are that appliances are cheap enough to not be worth the hassle of bothering your home insurance... notwithstanding that your son might have at least offered to replace it ???

Somewhat self inflicted aggravation perhaps ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2020, 17:30:06 »

Here is a step by step explanation of how insurance works:

you pay them a lot of money

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2020, 17:57:29 »

I've fortunately only needed to use Contents Insurance on one occasion.

Less than 6 months ago, the wife dropped her iPhone X on the kitchen floor (knocked it off the worktop). 

Long story short, filled in the online claim-form, supplied photo's of the damaged iPhone (corner of the screen bled), less than a week later, case closed, £659 paid into my bank account (£709 less the £50 excess).

Bought a reconditioned iPhone XS from Amazon for £640 with warranty.

Job Jobbed - Admiral Insurance.  Thumbs up from me.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2020, 18:05:11 »

Two months ago my son accidentally pierced the refrigerant pipe in our freezer, causing it to fail. I completed the online claim form, stating clearly the cause of the damage and there ensued a series of delaying, incommunicative emails. My broker could not get them to respond effectively AND FINALLY THEY DISMISSED MY CLAIM, SAYING THAT i WAS NOT COVERED FOR ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
 Had I been told that such damage was not covered back in August, I would have beeen spared a lot of unwelcome stress and effort, which, given my health issues, I could well have done without.
Just what exactly is covered if not accidental damage? Wear and tear would be excluded also, so that doesn't leave much else!
Once again, an insurance company is happy to collect premiums, but very reluctant to pay out and will try anything  to avoid doing so.

Ron. >:(

Other than "accidental damage" the major factors covered are fire, theft (ok unlikely for a freezer), and flood. Options for freezers may also include contents under power failure circumstances....... the small print and the premium paid are the indicators of how many circumstances are "covered" ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2020, 18:43:47 »

Accidental damage is often an add-on.  Sounds like you bought the base option - much like 3rd party fire and theft in automotive talk.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2020, 18:44:13 »

But check the policy wording, just in case they are trying to pull a fast one.
Grumpy old man

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2020, 18:57:58 »

And it is down to your broker to confirm your needs as to your insurance policy.  If you wanted accidental damage cover why did they not seek a policy with it in and why did they not clarify that with you when Broking the policy???
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2020, 17:51:39 »

Must agree with the other comments.

Small print and understanding completely what is covered or not and what can be add ons is essential.  Also get a quality policy with one of the main companies, via perhaps a bank, the AA, or even better direct. D&G are also very good for full no quibble protection on appliances. New for old is also something to always pay for.

Had to claim recently for a 3 month old 55” smart TV with a damaged screen. Lloyds paid out £400 after receiving purchase receipt and picture of damaged screen and allowing for the excess.

Claimed many times before and never had a problem as I only deal with quality insurance polices.
You only get what you pay for, and if you make the mistake of not taking out “accidental damage” then I’m afraid you get what you have.

Once more, always read the small print no matter how many pages it may be! ;)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2020, 22:31:14 »

i was paying insurance for a samsung phone that i got on a virgin mobile contract. & in september 19 it was updating when it froze & even samsung could not fix it. when i tried to claim all i was offered was a new up to date model & another 2yr extension to my contract. i thought the new phone would be a free replacement but not so i am paying for it. at the time i questioned why but got no joy. my bank did get me every penny i had paid back. i did cancel future insurance payments. However only last week i spotted a £4 deduction so i looked back & they had taken 13 payments so i took it up with virgin mobile & started an indemnity claim authorising my bank to stop payments & claim the £ 52 back. i couldn,t believe how quick it appeared into my account. same day. so always worth trying to get the insurance companies to at least cough up money paid for a policy that doesn,t live up to expectations

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2020, 09:45:21 »

Ignoring some legal matters at the time, I can't fault my home insurance underwriters I had in 2013.  Only things not covered, which was in the policy book, was car parts and accessories.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.