Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1,000 mile report  (Read 2790 times)

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
1,000 mile report
« on: 18 February 2012, 16:08:25 »

so, I've had Morticia 7 weeks now, and I've done about 1000 miles.

How am I finding Omega ownership?  Well, more expensive then running an Astra Convertible on cooking oil, goes without saying, but I love the space and comfort in the car and its really nice to drive, even tho it is 'only' a 2.0 16v Ecowreck   ;)

There's a few niggly jobs to do, but I'm going to wait until the MOT man's verdict of the car on 2nd March before I start throwing money at it, I'd rather do it all in one go then bits here and there.  Need to fit my Parrot kit in it, plus sort out the door check straps - the NSF one clicks and the OSF one does sod all, and if you dont move your leg sharpish it gets trapped in the door as it shuts itself   :-[   

I'm concerned the car has a coolant leak from somewhere, it was low on coolant when we picked it up, so we put some readymix antifreeze in it, and the other day on the way to the hospital, the car wouldnt get hot, the temp gauge was up and down like a hookers knickers and it wouldnt run on LPG.  When we pulled over, we found the coolant bottle empty again - we stopped at a garage, put 2.5L in it, and it was fine, and went back onto LPG ok too.  I checked it after a few days, and the level had dropped, so I put some more in it.  I'm hoping the level only dropped due to circulating round the system and air replacing the level in the bottle.  I'll check it again this weekend and see what its doing.  The car doesnt run hot tho, and the temp gauge always sits at just under 85 degrees, and the heater itself is excellent.

The problem with the car not running on LPG properly was found to be down to a blocked filter, luckilly we found one on Ebay (Prins unit), and swapping that cured the problem of the car acting like it was out of gas even with a full tank.

So all in all, yes the car needs some cosmetic work and I'm sure it will need other jobs next month after the MOT, but I have to say I'm really pleased with the car, and I hope she gives me several years of reliable and comfortable service.

The only thing really bugging me, is the small LPG tank, I can only squeeze 35L in it from empty, so I'm considering finding out if I can get a bigger tank, as my friend with a 2.2 Estate on LPG can get well over 40L in his car, I'm finding a range of 160-200 miles a pain in the neck tbh, and I could do with a better range for when we take her to France in June, but other then that, I really like the car   :)

Cheers,

Claire
Claire & Phill
Renault Grand Scenic 'Maxim' 1.9dCi 120

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 1,000 mile report
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2012, 16:27:49 »

Sounds good. :y

Coolant leaks are often down to the heater bypass valve so that'd be the fist thing to check. (check the maintenance guide)

I'm glad the LPG is working OK now. What size tank do you have? This is usually stamped on the tank somewhere and if it's functioning correctly you should be able to fill to 80% of this capacity (some space needs to be left for expansion).

I'm guessing it's a spare wheel well job on an estate? Capacity is an issue here although you can build up a false floor to allow a larger tank or bite the bullet on a cylinder tank behind the back seat and lose some load space. :-\

Do check the capacity, though, just in case the LPG filler is cutting out early.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2012, 16:39:50 »

cheers for the info about the heater bypass valve - I'm a newbie with modern engines, where will I find said item?

The LPG tank is a donut tank, 48L max size, hence why I cant get much over 35-36 litres in it.  I'm gonna have to measure the spare wheel hole and see if I can get a bigger tank, there is room around it, so it should be do-able - and I know 2 people with bigger tanks in there Omega Estates.....  A cylinder tank in the boot isnt really an option, I'm putting one in one of my Cavaliers, but thats only because its a car that I dont need the boot space in - the Omega is regularly rammed with family stuff including a pushchair, shopping, etc, plus when we go away on holiday in it, we'll have all our crap, plus my mum and her stuff too - and knowing her, she'll take more then us lol.

Cheers again for the advice   :y
Claire & Phill

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2012, 16:43:48 »

From my research in the past, the biggest tank (4-hole) that will fit is 76L 650x270mm GZWM (77 if you want to pay twice as much for a Stako one) but you have to raise the boot floor about 75-80mm.

Yours may be a single hole toroidal which means you might be able to get a bigger one than you have, but without raising the boot floor the size is pretty limited. The largest diameter tank that fits is 650mm and (from memory) the depth is 200mm.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2012, 17:15:55 »

so, I've had Morticia 7 weeks now, and I've done about 1000 miles.

How am I finding Omega ownership?  Well, more expensive then running an Astra Convertible on cooking oil, goes without saying, but I love the space and comfort in the car and its really nice to drive, even tho it is 'only' a 2.0 16v Ecowreck   ;)

There's a few niggly jobs to do, but I'm going to wait until the MOT man's verdict of the car on 2nd March before I start throwing money at it, I'd rather do it all in one go then bits here and there.  Need to fit my Parrot kit in it, plus sort out the door check straps - the NSF one clicks and the OSF one does sod all, and if you dont move your leg sharpish it gets trapped in the door as it shuts itself   :-[   

I'm concerned the car has a coolant leak from somewhere, it was low on coolant when we picked it up, so we put some readymix antifreeze in it, and the other day on the way to the hospital, the car wouldnt get hot, the temp gauge was up and down like a hookers knickers and it wouldnt run on LPG.  When we pulled over, we found the coolant bottle empty again - we stopped at a garage, put 2.5L in it, and it was fine, and went back onto LPG ok too.  I checked it after a few days, and the level had dropped, so I put some more in it.  I'm hoping the level only dropped due to circulating round the system and air replacing the level in the bottle.  I'll check it again this weekend and see what its doing.  The car doesnt run hot tho, and the temp gauge always sits at just under 85 degrees, and the heater itself is excellent.

The problem with the car not running on LPG properly was found to be down to a blocked filter, luckilly we found one on Ebay (Prins unit), and swapping that cured the problem of the car acting like it was out of gas even with a full tank.

So all in all, yes the car needs some cosmetic work and I'm sure it will need other jobs next month after the MOT, but I have to say I'm really pleased with the car, and I hope she gives me several years of reliable and comfortable service.

The only thing really bugging me, is the small LPG tank, I can only squeeze 35L in it from empty, so I'm considering finding out if I can get a bigger tank, as my friend with a 2.2 Estate on LPG can get well over 40L in his car, I'm finding a range of 160-200 miles a pain in the neck tbh, and I could do with a better range for when we take her to France in June, but other then that, I really like the car   :)

Cheers,

Claire

amen.. ;D

ps: it took me more than 6 years to sort my miggy ;D :y

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2012, 17:30:19 »

took me more than 6 years to sort my miggy 
:o :'(

Bet your glad its sorted now then  ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2012, 19:46:08 »

took me more than 6 years to sort my miggy 
:o :'(

Bet your glad its sorted now then  ;D

yep.. but my bank account is not.. as dry as an arabian desert ;D

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2012, 20:02:44 »

lol you guys, I must admit I do still keep looking at Volvo V70's, then I remember that I'm not 75 years old, nor do I own a wax jacket or anything tweed and come back to reality.    ;D

Thanks for the info about the gas tanks, I might go and have a chat to my LPG man in Derby and see what he's got nice and cheap that will give me a better range.

cheers all,

Claire
Claire & Phill

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2012, 20:39:11 »

I must admit I do still keep looking at Volvo V70's, then I remember that I'm not 75 years old, nor do I own a wax jacket or anything tweed 

I must clean out my wardrobe  :-[ :-[ ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2012, 00:14:14 »

I have a usable capacity of around 78 litres LPG in the 3.2.... and there have been some lead footed occasions when I've got no more than 200 miles per tank ;D ;D

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2012, 00:27:36 »

mine takes about 50 ltrs of gas when filled from empty, but my floor is slightly higher, im toying with idea of putting the topedo tank that came out my vectra that got smashed in too and connecting together as thats 90lts capacity, would give a great range
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2012, 01:21:39 »

I must admit I do still keep looking at Volvo V70's, then I remember that I'm not 75 years old, nor do I own a wax jacket or anything tweed 

I must clean out my wardrobe  :-[ :-[ ;D

lol, I had a funny feeling I might offend someone with that post!   Sorry!!   :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[
Claire & Phill

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2012, 04:14:42 »

ill be glad to get to 1000 miles report,does pushing it count

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2012, 09:35:57 »

ill be glad to get to 1000 miles report,does pushing it count
Nope  ;)

lol, I had a funny feeling I might offend someone with that post!   Sorry!!   :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

No offence , im not in the flat cap brigade/tweed jacket brigade yet ...but i have been thinking of watching question time and listening to radio 4  :-X :-X

;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2012, 10:18:09 »

lol you guys, I must admit I do still keep looking at Volvo V70's, then I remember that I'm not 75 years old, nor do I own a wax jacket or anything tweed and come back to reality.    ;D
I had a little Rover until 2.5 weeks ago. My flat cap and trilby were scrapped with the car :P
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.