Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Back seat footwell flooding  (Read 3312 times)

wph9155

• Wakefield
    • View Profile
Back seat footwell flooding
« on: 25 October 2010, 16:53:48 »

Hello everyone, I hope someone can maybe save me some time, I have got a severe problem with water leaking into the rear passenger side foot-well when it rains. It happens when the car is parked on my drive so its not coming in from underneath. I have checked all around the door seals but can find no obvious wholes can anyone offer advice on where to check next.... Please :D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Back seat footwell flooding
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2010, 16:57:03 »

is front passenger well also wet? If so check the scuttle drain is clear  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2010, 17:05:12 »

I bet it is the scuttle drain blocked  Clear drain and dry carpet quickly before it starts to smell the front  carpet will also be wet

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2010, 17:08:17 »

Washing a car, is like making love to a beautiful woman.  caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2010, 17:45:52 »

Those are EXCELLENT photos Magestic :y They deserve to be in the Maintenance Guide section as a 'Howto' :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2010, 17:54:58 »

i will gladly add them if you think there good enough
Washing a car, is like making love to a beautiful woman.  caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2010, 18:16:27 »

It's not what I think that matters mate! :D
Believe me....They ARE good enough!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :y

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2010, 18:23:42 »

yes gotta say clear and concise, i had a problem with my door drains being blocked also causing the door to fill with water and spill over(mazda6) maybe if it'S only in the back (which i doubt) it could be this
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2010, 18:44:56 »

if its only the rear footwell which is wet I would check that the plastic membrane behind the door card is not split,its surprising how much water can leak into the car from there
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

wph9155

• Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2010, 20:10:41 »

Thanks guys,
 I have only just got back to the lap top so cant check till tomorrow now, but these tips sound great the photos and how to by (majesticlarge) are great, I think it would be a lot wetter in the front foot-well if that was causing the problem but I think its a great tip for anyone with an Omega just to check now and then as part of your routine maintenance. I will start at this point but the Door membrane sounds like it is the cause if the door drains are blocked so I am hoping that this will stop the problem.
The front well did get a little water but I think it had flowed over from the back once the rear foot-well was up to about five inches deep it runs over the hump where the front seat is fixed. Well wish me luck and I will report back once I have checked everthing out tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone much appreciated.
Wayne :D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2010, 21:40:31 »

A water leak from a blocked scuttle drain entering the cabin will find the path of least resistance (a bit like electricity!) & run into the rear via the depression in the floorpan that accomodates the heater duct under the front seat. Consequently, the front carpet may appear dry when in fact the soundproofing layer underneath will be damp/wet! :o So don't discount the scuttle because the front footwell is dry! Always check this first whenever water is found in the passenger side of the car, either front or back! ;) :y

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2010, 21:42:30 »

I've just dried my LHR footwell after the scuttle filled again but I park on an upward incline so the water runs under the front passenger seat.  If you're on the level it may well stay in the front.

Annoyingly, the VX additional carpets I have start to disintegrate when soaked. >:(
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2010, 21:48:59 »

Once you've had this problem... please ensure you dry all the carpets AND the soundproofing under the carpets very thouroughly .. if you don't they will stink .. :(

The soundproofing will hold an amazing amount of water, and the fact that it is damp, dark and warm (with the heating on)  will soon allow bacteria and/or mould to grow .... very difficult to get rid of once it's there. so take as much out of the car and dry it all properly before refitting

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2010, 01:26:31 »

Thanks guys,
 I have only just got back to the lap top so cant check till tomorrow now, but these tips sound great the photos and how to by (majesticlarge) are great, I think it would be a lot wetter in the front foot-well if that was causing the problem but I think its a great tip for anyone with an Omega just to check now and then as part of your routine maintenance. I will start at this point but the Door membrane sounds like it is the cause if the door drains are blocked so I am hoping that this will stop the problem.
The front well did get a little water but I think it had flowed over from the back once the rear foot-well was up to about five inches deep it runs over the hump where the front seat is fixed. Well wish me luck and I will report back once I have checked everthing out tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone much appreciated.
Wayne :D

When i found the water in the back there wasn't hardly any at the front i had to press down on the carpet to feel any wetness but there was about half an inch in the back it was higher than the carpet and the car was parked on level ground i had to use a wet dry vac for ages to get most of the water out then after it was as dry as i could get it i used a hair dryer to try and dry it out the best i could, it must of worked as theres no smell of damp

wph9155

• Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2010, 10:17:19 »

Thanks again guys I will try the front end first but there was about 5" of standing water in the rear foot well and only a small amount in the front it was only wet when presse,. that's why I thought it was coming in from the back but we all know that this kind of problem can be a real pain to get to the bottom of. And I got up this morning and guess what it raining again :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.