Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumpy idle and acceleration  (Read 1877 times)

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
Lumpy idle and acceleration
« on: 26 August 2010, 19:06:16 »

Girlfriend was out in the Omega last night in the rain and floods and the car started to misbehave. It was struggling to go over 50mph and 2000rpm and smelling a bit eggy on the motorway, so the RAC recovered it home.
I had a look at it today and no fault codes stored, just
12 & 31 with ignition and 12 when running.
Idle is slightly less that usual, but seems to rev ok in park, but is very hesitant when driving. Will get up to 70 eventually and run ok but you have to do it slowly.
Kick down causes hesitation and clunky gear change.
Any suggestions on what might be the problem or other checks I can make.
Thanks, mikeh.

Welung666

Re: Lumpy idle and acceleration
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2010, 19:08:11 »

Check under the passenger side skuttle to see if the padding is wet. If it is check the rear plug well that side for water. If it's dry then it might well be the dis-pack failing.

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2010, 19:34:52 »

Wellung666, thanks for the reply.
I checked under passenger skuttle and it was fairy dry and clean. Took out the  pollen filter and that was also dry, and poured some water in and it drained out straight away. Whereabouts is this padding?
The drain grommet on the drivers side was also clear.
Thanks, mikeh

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2010, 19:45:22 »

Go from the top of the plenum back towards the windscreen and feel the padding on the top of the bulkhead behind the plenum.

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2010, 21:27:28 »

I can see some rain water dripping from under the skuttle near the dis /bulkhead area. Must be getting in where windscreen meets skuttle. Assuming its a wet dis causing the problem will it improve as it dries out or would you think new one required. Are these dealer only or are ebay ones ok?
Thanks, mikeh.

Welung666

« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2010, 01:20:05 »

First things first! Get the car somewhere dry, run a bead of sealant between the 2 halves of the skuttle once it is bone dry. That should stop most of the water running in. The problem with the dis-pack is that water will get between the plates and corrode it. 99% chance you will end up replacing it now anyway.

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2010, 03:13:33 »

I can see some rain water dripping from under the skuttle near the dis /bulkhead area. Must be getting in where windscreen meets skuttle. Assuming its a wet dis causing the problem will it improve as it dries out or would you think new one required. Are these dealer only or are ebay ones ok?
Thanks, mikeh.
I have used dielectric clear rubbery sealent to great advantage in my Catera while seating the coil pack.  Had exactly the same problem and never again.

All h*ll breaks loose in heavy rain and the scuttle stuff can only do so much.  There are splashes up and down with the fans going, which do dry up fast in the hotter areas.

Good luck.   ;)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2010, 11:40:20 »

Omega now in garage (dry). I'll strip off all the plastic skuttle and trim from the windscreen so I can clearly see how wet it is back there.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2010, 12:01:04 »

Found same problem with mine.
Water would run off screen and then where the 2 parts of the scuttle join the foam wasn,t making water seal and back plug well and top of cam cover wet.
I removed both sections of the scuttle panle.Gave it a thorough clean and dry ,then ran a thick bead of silkaflex black selant across the metal curved section of the bulk head the pushed the scuttle down into it to seal,then another bead across the point where both parts overlap and have not had any problems since.
Get it down sooner than later and you may not end up needing to replace dispack,depending how long it has been seaping through.

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2010, 18:17:13 »

Skuttle off and its all dry back there, but then it has been in the garage for 24 hrs and I let it idle until the fan kicked in.
I changed all 6 plugs, mainly to have a look at the condition of the old ones and to see how much oil, if any, was down there. Plugs and holes all looked ok.
Just been for another test drive and it is lacking power and stinks of rotten eggs.
I ran it in the garage in the dark last night at idle and about 5000 rpm and did'nt see any sparking/arcing.
Is the next thing to replace the dis pack?
Thanks, mikeh.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2010, 18:43:39 »

Unplug the MAF & see if there is any improvement. :-/
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2010, 19:39:40 »

Ok, drove round block with maf unplugged. Exactly the same apart from engine light on. Is there anything else I can check before trying to remove the dis pack?
Thanks, mikeh.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2010, 20:08:12 »

Skuttle off and its all dry back there, but then it has been in the garage for 24 hrs and I let it idle until the fan kicked in.
I changed all 6 plugs, mainly to have a look at the condition of the old ones and to see how much oil, if any, was down there. Plugs and holes all looked ok.
Just been for another test drive and it is lacking power and stinks of rotten eggs.
I ran it in the garage in the dark last night at idle and about 5000 rpm and did'nt see any sparking/arcing.
Is the next thing to replace the dis pack?
Thanks, mikeh.

Would this not point to the cat.  :-/

mikeh

• London
    • 1999 V6 2.5 petrol MFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2010, 20:37:39 »

I think the 'egg' smell is unburnt fuel in the cat.
Big question is what is causing the unburnt fuel.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2010, 21:12:30 »

Take it back into your garage. Open the bonnet and start the engine. Then put the garage lights off and see if there are any stray sparks from plugs, leads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.