Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: smoking in cars with kids in  (Read 6150 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
smoking in cars with kids in
« on: 17 December 2014, 20:12:58 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30513439

unless we have smoke & kids detectors at the side of the road how's this going to be enforced? Use of hand held phones is also banned but it still happens ........ see it al the time, and kids roaming around in the back of cars without a seat belt is the same ....... but again I see it frequently - usually in the back of a big 4x4

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: smoking in cars with kids in
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2014, 20:15:59 »

What a daft idea by the do-gooders.

I'm all for banning drivers from smoking, in the same way I'm not allowed to scoff a pie whilst driving.  But "to protect the children", what a bunch of namby pamby, trailer trash mongrels we're turning into  >:(
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2014, 20:17:21 »

I'm all for banning drivers from smoking, in the same way I'm not allowed to scoff a pie whilst driving.  But "to protect the children", what a bunch of namby pamby, trailer trash mongrels we're turning into  >:(

eloquently put ........ as usual  ;) ;)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2014, 20:21:54 »

So doesnt matter that you can smoke like a train in a closed room with your kids at home, but a car is a no no. Just another way to get money from the motorist :(

I remember when smoking in a van was introduced, I dont think I know of one van driver that has been done.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2014, 20:27:29 »

Really? when there is good evidence that early exposure (in childhood) to cigarette smoke is linked with a variety of respiratory illness in adult life. Evidence that passive smoke inhalation increases the use of healthcare by children? When the fact that smoking in a closed tiny environment like a car can expose innocent children to thousands of toxins at very high concentration levels (that they havent asked to inhale)? Children who cannot defend themselves against this evil?
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2014, 20:27:59 »

I remember when smoking in a van was introduced, I dont think I know of one van driver that has been done.

Yes, that was anther thought through law. In theory you're breaking the law if you smoke in your own vehicle even when you're a one man band  ???

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2014, 20:29:53 »

I hate the sight of a you g mum puffing on a fag with her kids in the back..but guess what....I used to do it. Along with a hundred other things that are now considered wrong.
When I feel the need to pass comment on certain behaviours today, I try to think back to when I was young and I realise that I probably did exactly the same things.
I'm not condoning them, just sayin like......

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2014, 20:33:58 »

Really? when there is good evidence that early exposure (in childhood) to cigarette smoke is linked with a variety of respiratory illness in adult life. Evidence that passive smoke inhalation increases the use of healthcare by children? When the fact that smoking in a closed tiny environment like a car can expose innocent children to thousands of toxins at very high concentration levels (that they havent asked to inhale)? Children who cannot defend themselves against this evil?

Then you would have to ban smoking in the family home, to protect children, and how is that going to be Policed?

We can't even stop people using their phones in cars, or even drink driving, and with less and less Police available it is just foolish imo............. ;) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2014, 20:34:54 »

But I can sit little Johnny on my knee at home and blow smoke in his face.

And as the proposal is for "children" up to the age of 18, its a load of guff. Its not just for (alleged) susceptical toddlers.

I'm not a smoker - thanks to one of my brothers, I gave that shit up when I was about 5 - so I'm not a big fan of fags, the smell and the smoke.  But I do not believe such things should be legislated.

For example, although pubs and restuarants are nicer places now, I am against the law of banning smoking in indoor public places.
Grumpy old man

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2014, 20:37:09 »

I hate the sight of a you g mum puffing on a fag with her kids in the back..but guess what....I used to do it. Along with a hundred other things that are now considered wrong.
When I feel the need to pass comment on certain behaviours today, I try to think back to when I was young and I realise that I probably did exactly the same things.

We have all done it......... :o :o I remember driving buses, full of kids, and smoking away at the wheel, would never think about it today............. :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2014, 20:37:20 »

What? You mean no silly child seats and booster cushions for your little ones :o.  No seat belts :o. Not cotton wool and bubble wrap to protect them so they can't learn whats likely to hurt and what isn't :o

Christ, your kids must have turn out normal in the end :y
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2014, 20:38:10 »

Put yourself in the role of enforcement of this particular piece of legislation.

Join it in with all the other bits of legislation you need to look out for.

Add a smidge of assault, wife/hubby beating, drug dealing, shop lifting, Facebook trolling and a Miriam of other minutae on the legal scale and requirements thereof and give a reviewed assessment.

Yes, smoking in the confines of a car is bad. not denying that in any way. Just needs thinking through so as to get best results all round - and that's not just from a kids medical viewpoint.  :)

The Sheriff

« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2014, 20:43:00 »

Agree entirely, Broocie. The wife, as a headteacher, is being asked to, more or less, take over all of the parenting skills which the kids usually get at home. Every thing from sex education to female genital mutilation, to child brides to brushing their teeth. Not forgetting child protection issues.
Police can't police properly with dwindling resources and growing workload, just as teachers can't teach when they are trying to look after every aspect of social welfare.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2014, 20:46:12 »

What? You mean no silly child seats and booster cushions for your little ones :o.   ....

another stupid bit of legislation. You drop your kids off at swimming/football/etc & you can't get back for what ever reason. You ask your mate if he/she will pick them up for you ...... no booster seat - unless Little Johnny always carries his booster seat with him - and is a booster actually needed in the front passenger seat of an Omega where the seat lifts up & the belt slides down the B post?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2014, 20:52:36 »

Agree entirely, Broocie. The wife, as a headteacher, is being asked to, more or less, take over all of the parenting skills which the kids usually get at home. Every thing from sex education to female genital mutilation, to child brides to brushing their teeth. Not forgetting child protection issues.
Police can't police properly with dwindling resources and growing workload, just as teachers can't teach when they are trying to look after every aspect of social welfare.

Same in my household. Wife is in nursery and daughter primary. This year, she is primary one/two for the first time in poss 8 years qualified. It's an eye opener to her in many ways. Fek knows how the hard of thinking get by as its challenge enough for someone with both brains and feelings.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.