Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: ecu problem [i think]  (Read 10853 times)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
ecu problem [i think]
« on: 21 July 2008, 17:09:50 »

hi, firstly im new here so dont get mad if ive put this in the wrong place!, anyhow ive recently aquiried a 1995 2.5 td auto with box problem, i was told that this car has had another g/box fitted & despite of this it still has to be driven like a manual box, if its put in drive it seems like its in 3rd, also its lighting up automatic gearbox check, the sport button doesnt light up on the dash either, i was told it may need a new ecu, now this is where im totally lost, does the GM part number on the ecu have to match or is there others that will do the job, its my first omega so im on a learning curve since they are totally different to the good old monzas & senators i used to have, so please be gentle with me!!!!,,,many thanks ::)

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: ecu problem [i think]
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2008, 17:19:57 »

needs an ar35 box init mate they eat ar25 which is standard fit  :y

irratic

• STOKE-ON-TRENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2008, 17:27:33 »

iv got a gearbox ecu somewhere off a 97 elite 3litre. i think thats the ar35 box. don't no if you can interchange ecu though

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2008, 17:39:15 »

HI, well thats confused me even more!, so how do i identify the one that will do it, i have the GM number & it has those 2 big letters on it [mines an HU],like i say its all new to me so please explain it like im an idiot!, i have been offered a ecu off a "t" reg 2.5 diesel so would it do the job or is it to new,,,many thanks ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2008, 01:09:02 »

I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen a GM gearbox ecu fail.  I seriously doubt yours has.

Do the LEDs by gearstick always light up as expected, or do the all light up sometimes, or even flash?  If this do not light up properly, change selector switch.

Failing that, need to get gearbox ECU codes read.  There is a nice chap in Nottingham call Marks DTM Calib who can read codes for you, though he is a busy man trying to move house.

The fact that you can still drive like a manual shows the ECU is still functioning.

One last thing, is the Engine Management light on, and if not, does it come on with ign?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2008, 01:10:09 »

And to reiterate what others have said, the ar25 gearbox isn't really strong enough for the TD engine. Not GM's best choice.
Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2008, 10:59:03 »

thanks "the boy", where shall i start?, firstly i acquired this car cheap due to the fault, the guy said he had changed the gearbox but the fault was the same,he apparently was told it could be the ECU or the wiring to it, when driven as a manual it only gives me 3 gears, if i put it in drive to pull away it seems like its in perhaps 3rd gear, the LED lights operate as they should, so if it pulls o,k when i drive in manual then why doesnt it when in drive?, also the engine management light goes on when key is turned then goes off which i believe is normal,,,,,,,,,,,ive just gone outside to the car, unplugged the ECU, & the result is it starts, the LED`s on the selector light up as normal & i can still drive it as a manual,in other words no different!!!, so does this give anybody a better idea of my problem??, perhaps i should phone the guy in nottingham but where do i find his number, anyhow i do appreciate your advice,  with your brains out there & my rather large hammer i`m sure we will sort it!!!! :D

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2008, 23:22:05 »

gone very quiet on my problem! anyhow what i would like to know is what are these AR35 g/boxes fitted to?, also are petrol & diesel g/boxes the same units?if im being stupid just tell me to shut up!!!, but anyhow id still like to sort out my original problem!!,,,cheers all!

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2008, 06:46:34 »

The AR35 is fitted to 3 litre Omegas and can take a lot more torque.  The casing is the same sie, but the internals are beefed up.  You just need to change the bellhousing and torque converter for your TD ones.

Apparently, the gear selector switch (on the side of the box, surrounds the lever) can cause problems - might be worth swapping this first off - but the 3.0 gearbox would be a good idea, especially if you intend chipping the engine (for more power, economy and better driveability).  Best bet is to get the gearbox ECU codes read first and go from there..
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2008, 23:28:46 »

Thanks for that PHIL, ive been under the car today & dropped the switch down, couldnt find where it plugs in so i dismantled the switch under the car, when i separated the body i had a load of oil come out of it, i could understand vaseline or silicon grease but am i right in saying the oil shouldnt be in there!,did notice that one of the contacts on the pivot looked like they had got hot due to the blue-ish colour, anyhow ive cleaned it out with switch cleaner then a smear of vaseline on re essembly but alas its still no go, but i was wondering if this oil that was in it could have created a short which could have flashed back to the ECU?, i know im clutching at straws but the guy i got this car off assured me that it had a g/box change but it never worked, but the fault was identical on both boxes, basically for now i want to get it on the road then i can hunt for a better box as well as other bits i need, but yes i would like a stronger box & more grunt!,,,many thanks  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2008, 21:20:07 »

If it will drive, Marks DTM in West Bridgford, can plug tech2 into ecu.

Far more likely to be fault with box itself.

To change is a pain on axle stands, but easier than V6 (no exhaust to remove).

Need to use existing 2.5TD torque convertor and bellhousing
Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2008, 21:46:32 »

ive been in touch with mark & i did ask him for a convenient time & day, plus his full address but as yet he hasnt got back to me, i know he is a busy man so i`ll have to be patient, going on what ive been told id be better off with a AR35 box anyway, im sure i read somewhere that i have to change the torque converter as well but what about the ECU?, as you say its going to be tough on axle stands but ive done senator B`s in the past & that was a tight job, at least the omega has got more room! so if anyone local to me has got a AR35 & whatever else is needed then please email me as i must get this car on the road as wearing a balaclava to drive a rover 200d in this weather is slaughtering me!! ;D

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2008, 15:08:53 »

oh well when in doubt,,,,,sling the gearbox out!,,,,ive located a AR35 [MANY THANKS CHRIS], what i need confirming is the torque converter, if you look back on this thread one person is telling me one thing & one is telling me another! :-/ so do i change it or not, also is the ECU to be changed or will my old one be o,k, i will get it chipped sometime [how much?] so i can break into the penny jar!,,,many thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2008, 15:45:06 »

You need to use your existing TD torque converter and existing bellhousing.

Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2008, 22:07:46 »

RIGHT!, Ive changed the gearbox to a AR35 [ thanks again chris]but the "automatic gearbox check" is still showing, does this mean that i now need a ECU to match? or is there something that needs resetting, i would like to get it to MARKS DTM but as yet nobody has come up with his address, plus the tax runs out tomorrow & for obvious reasons i dont want to drive it until its right as it will involve changing over my insurance as well as tax so im in a catch 22 situation, anyhow if anyone gets a "eureka"moment & thinks of something else that it could be please let me know ;).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.